UTSW vs. Texas A&M

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emisid

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I pre-matched to both these schools, and I've been having a tough time deciding which to rank first. UTSW has a great reputation and is a research powerhouse, but I've heard from many people that the environment can be cut-throat. A&M, on the other hand, would allow me to be closer to family (stronger support system) and I feel like I would be more comfortable there.

I would really appreciate other people's opinions!
Remember also that at Texas A&M you might be moving one or more times during med school because most students don't stay in College Station the whole time. UTSW is more nationally respected and you should be able to get any rotation you might like during MS3 and MS4 to help you decide what specialty you want for residency.

Reactions: 1 user
I pre-matched to both these schools, and I've been having a tough time deciding which to rank first. UTSW has a great reputation and is a research powerhouse, but I've heard from many people that the environment can be cut-throat. A&M, on the other hand, would allow me to be closer to family (stronger support system) and I feel like I would be more comfortable there.

I would really appreciate other people's opinions!

what are your career goals?
I agree with Kracin, ask yourself that question and also ask yourself where you’ll be more successful. Happy environment allows you to be successful so can you be happy at both? If so, I’d choose UTSW. But if you feel it’ll be a struggle to feel comfortable and not enough support at UTSW I’d choose a&m.

In my situation I am choosing to rank a couple schools over UTSW because I know I’d be a lot more comfortable and be successful at those institutions.

Reactions: 1 user