UTSW vs USC (Keck)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lunacubed

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been fortunate enough to get into these great schools and receive amazing scholarships, I'm having such a hard time deciding. I was born, raised, and went to college in Dallas so I've grown to love the city. However, getting to live in California has always been a dream of mine. Don't know if now is the best time to prioritize that.
I've had the most exposure to UTSW so I can really see myself going there, but I also loved my USC interview day. I'm not dying to leave Dallas but a new city would be great, and I'm not too scared about being away from my family. I welcome any advice, especially Keck students/experts, thank you!

UTSW
Pros
  • Full-ride scholarship, cover tuition and costs of living.
  • Parents and friends based in Dallas. I even have friends at UTSW.
  • Has a 4-yr MD/MPH program
  • Loved the students/staff I met and enjoyed the second-look day.
  • 1.5 yr curriculum has cool electives like culinary medicine and global health (not as important)
  • The renovated facilities and study spaces were gorgeous
  • P/F and lectures recorded
Cons
  • Might have a more competitive atmosphere
  • I've lived in Dallas for forever
USC
Pros
  • Full-tuition scholarship, I think I could negotiate some extra assistance with housing
  • Great interactions with dean and other interviewees.
  • Dean seems to really care about the students, she's called me twice for updates and to say how much the school wants me over there.
  • Weather, LA life, beaches, food and music (I sing for fun so exploring the open-mic scene could be great or terrifying)
  • Campus and city is better looking overall, its that Cali vibe ...
Cons
  • Higher cost of living, would need to get loans for food and possibly housing
  • 2-yr curriculum doesn't seem as updated as most of the Texas schools. They skipped over it in the interview day on purpose, so I don't know anything about it. Let me know if you do.
  • 5-yr MD/MPH program, prefer to finish school in 4 years
  • Didn't meet enough students to gauge what it's really like, not sure I can afford travel for second look.
Bonus: Both schools seem to have great opportunities for public health and exposure to EM, pediatrics, and trauma surgery which interests me. Thanks again for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
UTSW for now, but even if USC matches that scholarship offer, I don't think their medical school is located in a particularly nice area of LA.

If moving to California is a dream of yours then go to USC. If you attend the second look for the scholarship recipients bring up your full ride with dean Arias , or email her directly. You can always go to back to Dallas for residency. Also, if you're interested in EM there is no better place than LAC-County Hospital. I'm not sure if they still hand out the match list at interviews but I've attached their match list from last cycle.

Keck's location isn't exactly Beverly Hills, but it's still Los Angeles and most Keck med students don't live at Currie hall anyways. I'

Attachments

• Match List 2018_Redacted.pdf
    80.5 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I've been fortunate enough to get into these great schools and receive amazing scholarships, I'm having such a hard time deciding. I was born, raised, and went to college in Dallas so I've grown to love the city. However, getting to live in California has always been a dream of mine. Don't know if now is the best time to prioritize that.
I've had the most exposure to UTSW so I can really see myself going there, but I also loved my USC interview day. I'm not dying to leave Dallas but a new city would be great, and I'm not too scared about being away from my family. I welcome any advice, especially Keck students/experts, thank you!

UTSW
Pros
  • Full-ride scholarship, cover tuition and costs of living.
  • Parents and friends based in Dallas. I even have friends at UTSW.
  • Has a 4-yr MD/MPH program
  • Loved the students/staff I met and enjoyed the second-look day.
  • 1.5 yr curriculum has cool electives like culinary medicine and global health (not as important)
  • The renovated facilities and study spaces were gorgeous
Cons
  • Might have a more competitive atmosphere
  • I've lived in Dallas for forever
USC
Pros
  • Full-tuition scholarship, I think I could negotiate some extra assistance with housing
  • Great interactions with dean and other interviewees.
  • Dean seems to really care about the students, she's called me twice for updates and to say how much the school wants me over there.
  • Weather, LA life, beaches, food and music (I sing for fun so exploring the open-mic scene could be great or terrifying)
  • Campus and city is better looking overall, its that Cali vibe ...
Cons
  • Higher cost of living, would need to get loans for food and possibly housing
  • 2-yr curriculum doesn't seem as updated as most of the Texas schools. They skipped over it in the interview day on purpose, so I don't know anything about it. Let me know if you do.
  • 5-yr MD/MPH program, prefer to finish school in 4 years
  • Didn't meet enough students to gauge what it's really like, not sure I can afford travel for second look.
Bonus: Both schools seem to have great opportunities for public health and exposure to EM, pediatrics, and trauma surgery which interests me. Thanks again for the help!

I vote for USC. They’re both great schools but it seems like LA will be a better place for you to grow and, like you said, it’s your dream to go live there & now may be your best chance to try it. You’ll pay the money back (still a relatively low debt compared to avg) & get the little adventure needed for a full life. Congrats on both! As someone who was also raised & went to school in the same city I’m very excited for you haha

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, a full tuition scholarship really facilitates your dream of living in Cali. If you see yourself being a lot happier there, then I would consider taking the offer--even more so if you can talk to them at second look about the full COA at UTSW.

The two aren't really different in ranking, but both have regional residency placements. UTSW matches in the south/midwest, while USC will allow you to match Cali very easily.

If you wanna get the MPH though, UTSW is the choice to make since it saves you a whole year. Overall, this is really a decision of where you want to live. Finances, prestige, research, exposure to specialties are not significantly different at either institution.

I would pick UTSW. You will be happy to have your support system and if you can always do some research in the summer in Cali and then decide if you want to pursue it for residency. If you can't afford to go to Keck for 2nd look then I don't see any reason why you should take out loans for COL in California (high) when you could have a completely free ride at a great school: UTSW.

I also am a big fan of 1.5yr preclinical bc you get more elective time and people say 4th year is great so I'd rather have 1.5 years of fourth year so i can do away rotations, research, chill, residency interviews

The COL for Keck will not be cheap and Keck is not a better school than UTSW. Are you really willing to take out like 100k in loans to see if you like California?

UTSW! Use that extra 30K/yr (difference in cost of living) to fly out to Cali twice a year, enjoy LA, spend $2,000 dollars - and still come ahead with 100K less debt than you would with USC
hahhaha I like this response. Think of all that Rodeo Drive shopping you could do ;)