Utsw

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

barrytee

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone (preferably someone at Southwestern or with very good knowledge) please clarify:
a) does the schedule really get better 2nd/3rd year with many free weekends (how many on average month?)
b) do vast majority end up having to do research for a year to get cards fellowship since there is no elective time and is it a realistic possibility to do this away from Dallas

Any info would be appreciated.....

Members don't see this ad.

barrytee said:
Can someone (preferably someone at Southwestern or with very good knowledge) please clarify:
a) does the schedule really get better 2nd/3rd year with many free weekends (how many on average month?)
b) do vast majority end up having to do research for a year to get cards fellowship since there is no elective time and is it a realistic possibility to do this away from Dallas

Any info would be appreciated.....

I won't comment on part a as I have been out for too long to know the scheduling stuff, but of the 2004 graduates, 10 are heading into cardiac fellowships at Duke, UCSF, Iowa, Baylor Dallas, and UTSW among other programs. All straight out of residency without having to do a research year.

Sorry to pontificate over this so much, but I've heard directly from several UTSW residents that most residents applying for cards have to take a year off for research. Anybody have more info?