Utsw

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

premed2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard that at UT Southwestern, if you have around a 3.6 and a 30 mcat, you are guaranteed an interview. Is this true?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard that at UT Southwestern, if you have around a 3.6 and a 30 mcat, you are guaranteed an interview. Is this true?

I don't remember the exact numbers but that is the gist of it; at least that's what they said in a presentation they gave at my school. Obviously this only applies to in-state applicants.

I have a 3.71 tmdsas gpa (top liberal arts college in the northeast) and I will be a rising junior. So if i maintain my gpa and score 30+ on my mcat, I am almost guaranteed an interview? I am a texas resident.

My extracurricular aren't spectacular but I have the following:

research (since freshmen year)
volunteering at hospital
shadowing
volunteering at a local high school for students who are pregnant
president of Spanish club
tutoring (since sophomore year)

Do i have a chance of getting into UTSW?

I have a 3.71 tmdsas gpa (top liberal arts college in the northeast) and I will be a rising junior. So if i maintain my gpa and score 30+ on my mcat, I am almost guaranteed an interview? I am a texas resident.

volunteering at hospital
shadowing

Obviously Texas resident helps a lot because they have to meet a certain quota. But, it's hard to say if you have a chance. I know the average GPA of applicants accepted to UTSW is somewhere around 3.84/33-34
UTSW is more research oriented so research would def help.

don't worry too much about writing your PS just yet. I dind't finish mine until early June.

also, with your GPA you stand a good chance of getting into UTSW since you are IS (provided you do well in your MCAT, ie mid 30s and don't bomb your interviews, from what I remember from my interview days the UTs weight them pretty heavily)
good luck and maybe I'll see you around campus!

Taken from UTSW Thread:

Southwestern's Dean came and spoke at my undergrad institution and he said any Texas resident with a 32/3.7 gets an interview invite.

I don't know how true this is, certainly seems too low to warrant an auto-interview.

What extracurricular should I focus on this summer and during my junior year to help strengthen my application?

I have been doing research for about two years now, but I dont know if I will be able to publish a paper. I have done several poster presentations. I haven't done a lot of shadowing but I did shadow for about 20 hours this semester and will do more during the summer.

volunteering at hospital
shadowing

Yes, you have a good chance at an interview. I am not privy to UTSW cut-offs, but most with a 3.7+ and 30+ with Texas residency will get an interview from what I've seen.

There's an auto-cut off, as I got an interview invite something like 2 days after I submitted my secondary app. If the dean said 32/3.7 I could believe that, as there aren't THAT many Texas residents with those numbers; even if there are several hundred who fit that category, their interview days are pretty big.

Gonna move this to School Specific Discussions.

It is definitely not a 3.6/30, as I have those numbers and did not get an interview. I believe the 3.7/32 is correct, based on what I have seen in other threads

Status
Not open for further replies.