• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

UVA - a "In a Class of Its Own?"

blueperson

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 29, 2004
    I was recently told by a guidance counselor not to bother applying to UVA (my state school) because it is in a class of its own. Better than all the other publics and rivals Ivy League. It is as competitive as the Ivies. Waht do others think? I'm a post-bacc with a weaker background. She said they don't consider post-baccs. Has anyone heard similar advice?

YzIa

10+ Year Member
    5+ Year Member
    Jul 16, 2004
      blueperson said:
      I was recently told by a guidance counselor not to bother applying to UVA (my state school) because it is in a class of its own. Better than all the other publics and rivals Ivy League. It is as competitive as the Ivies. Waht do others think? I'm a post-bacc with a weaker background. She said they don't consider post-baccs. Has anyone heard similar advice?
      There are plenty of public med schools that "rival" UVa. These schools include UCSF, UCLA, UCSD, UMich, U Wash, UNC, UTSW, U Wisc, U Alabama, Iowa, etc.

katec12345

7+ Year Member
      15+ Year Member
      Sep 9, 2003
        Basically, UVA has a great big stick up its butt and they don't like anything non-traditional, including people who have taken years off to travel, do research, post-baccs, whatever (this is per their former dean who came to my undergrad school--he was also rude to all the students and to the deans from the other Virginia schools, but that's another story). I didn't apply there because I knew I'd get a better clinical education at either of the two Virginia schools and because I don't want to be surrounded by the pretentious little pricks who go to UVA (and yes, I probably would have gotten into UVA as a VA resident with interviews/acceptances at multiple higher ranking schools). My advice is don't apply there, not because you wouldn't get in, but because you should want to go someplace better. UVA is indeed in a class all it's own in my book as the school I'd least like to attend.

PS-If you want to hear more bad stuff about UVA, PM me, I'd talk all day!

About the Ads

katec12345

7+ Year Member
        15+ Year Member
        Sep 9, 2003
          And it is certainly not the best of the public schools--even US News ranks several schools higher--and it's laughable, in my opinion, to compare UVA to ivies. My first choice VA school would be MCV, then EVMS, and UVA in a DISTANT third. Perhaps that would be changed if I didn't want to do clinical medicine because I think research is all UVA has on the other schools.

Dr. Donkey

10+ Year Member
          7+ Year Member
          Nov 11, 2004
            I think someone got rejected from UVA as an undergard :smuggrin: .

katec12345 said:
            And it is certainly not the best of the public schools--even US News ranks several schools higher--and it's laughable, in my opinion, to compare UVA to ivies. My first choice VA school would be MCV, then EVMS, and UVA in a DISTANT third. Perhaps that would be changed if I didn't want to do clinical medicine because I think research is all UVA has on the other schools.

blueperson

10+ Year Member
            5+ Year Member
            Nov 29, 2004
              One person told me that MCV is closing in on UVA's research as well. That they have a better balance of research/clinical (whereas UVA is all research), but the QUALITY of research is just as good as UVA. I can't verify... that's just what I was told.

exmike

NOR * CAL
              15+ Year Member
              May 19, 2003
              Bay Area
              1. Fellow [Any Field]
                blueperson said:

First of all, you're in state, so you should apply. no reason not to. second of all, UVa is a great school, but its certainly not "in a leage of its own", unless you consider a good public med school in the mid 20's of USNews its own league. I know of non trads and post baccs that got into UVa.

Oh yeah, secondly, i think its generally accepted that SND collectively is a better med school guidance counselor than the ones at most schools. I really dislike it when guidance counselors force their preconceived notions about the process on to applicants.

katec12345

7+ Year Member
                15+ Year Member
                Sep 9, 2003
                  Dr. Donkey said:
                  I have a feeling I'm about to get a really nasty response. (she's working on it right now).

Hmm, certainly kinder and less judgemental than your response to me.

No, I've never been rejected from UVA, I've never even applied to UVA for anything. I just investigated med schools thoroughly, talked to students, talked to physicians, and talked to advisors. My dislike of UVA's med school is because of knowlege, not because of bitterness.

bdt

...slow typer
                  10+ Year Member
                  5+ Year Member
                  Jun 8, 2004
                  OR
                    katec12345 said:
                    Basically, UVA has a great big stick up its butt and they don't like anything non-traditional, including people who have taken years off to travel, do research, post-baccs, whatever

Hmmm, I'm out-of-state, went to a state school in the west and am non-traditional (31 years old, Former Peace Corps Volunteer so I did lots of traveling) and I got accepted there this year, so I don't think they spurn all non-traditional folks.

I really enjoyed my visit there and am still considering it as a place I'll attend. I was impressed with how quickly they handled my application and the campus is beautiful. I liked the town and thought it'd be a good place to live and that I could be happy there.

There are obviously some pretty heated opinions on this thread but, this is my bit of advice....

I'm an Oregon resident, here in OR we only have one state med school and it's barely a state school because it takes over half it's class from out-state. You're a VA resident and you have what, 3 or 4 state schools? Your state schools are going to be cheaper than any out of state or private school and because of residency preference, you'll have a better shot. I think it'd be foolish not to apply to all your state schools. If you don't apply you'll have no shot at getting in. No matter how "snooty" your counselor thinks UVA is (and why is he discouraging you?) If you do get in, you 'll have the option of spurning them if you want. think how good that would feel. If don't get in, that's what you expected. But don't pass up the potential chance at attending a well school on an instate tuition budget.

Good Luck in whatever you decide to do!

Dr. Donkey

10+ Year Member
                    7+ Year Member
                    Nov 11, 2004
                      Why do you hate UVA so much? Your dislike seems irrational and effusive. Clearly these feelings didn't come about primarily through a unbiased, careful consideration of the pros and cons of the various VA medical schools as you claim to have done. Remember, it wasn't UVA that told the OP not to apply, it was his counselor.

Is there something you would like to talk about? It seems that UVA has mistreated you, and how did that make you feel?

katec12345 said:
                      Basically, UVA has a great big stick up its butt and they don't like anything non-traditional, including people who have taken years off to travel, do research, post-baccs, whatever (this is per their former dean who came to my undergrad school--he was also rude to all the students and to the deans from the other Virginia schools, but that's another story). I didn't apply there because I knew I'd get a better clinical education at either of the two Virginia schools and because I don't want to be surrounded by the pretentious little pricks who go to UVA (and yes, I probably would have gotten into UVA as a VA resident with interviews/acceptances at multiple higher ranking schools). My advice is don't apply there, not because you wouldn't get in, but because you should want to go someplace better. UVA is indeed in a class all it's own in my book as the school I'd least like to attend.

10minutes

M.D.Candidate
                      5+ Year Member
                      15+ Year Member
                      Apr 10, 2004
                      Virginia
                        katec12345 said:

I'm so glad you are not in my school. ha! :rolleyes: A better clinical education in other schools? What a BS... :thumbdown:

About the Ads

10minutes

M.D.Candidate
                        5+ Year Member
                        15+ Year Member
                        Apr 10, 2004
                        Virginia
                          blueperson said:

Your guidance counselor is total BS. Why don't you apply and see what happens? We have plenty of non-traditional.

liverotcod

Lieutenant Crunch
                          15+ Year Member
                          Nov 1, 2003
                          1. Attending Physician
                            <anecdote>
                            Despite multiple out-of-state interviews and acceptances, as in-state I received no interview at UVA, got rejected post-interview by VCU and waitlisted by EVMS. I'm big time non-traditional.
                            </anecdote>

bdt

...slow typer
                            10+ Year Member
                            5+ Year Member
                            Jun 8, 2004
                            OR
                              liverotcod said:
                              <anecdote>
                              Despite multiple out-of-state interviews and acceptances, as in-state I received no interview at UVA, got rejected post-interview by VCU and waitlisted by EVMS. I'm big time non-traditional.
                              </anecdote>

the evil doctor's anecdote enclosed by those xml-like tags reminds me of this.....

If you learn one thing in this process blueperson, you'll learn that it's crazy and random!!! For example...

<example>
                              I got accepted out of state to UVA with a MUCH lower MCAT score than liverotcod. He got accepted to U Wisconsin (One of the school's I would have killed for) while I got rejected pre-secondary.

<moral>
                              Don't assume anything about this process. You never know what will happen
                              </moral>

</example>

<non-sequitor>
                              OK... For the 3 others on this site who understand the xml tags thing.... Aren't you looking for that time about 6 months from now when instead of watching peoples' eyes glaze over when you say "I work on computers" you'll be able to see their reaction when you say "I'm a med student"
                              </non-sequitor>

liverotcod

Lieutenant Crunch
                              15+ Year Member
                              Nov 1, 2003
                              1. Attending Physician
                                bdt said:
                                <non-sequitor>
                                OK... For the 3 others on this site who understand the xml tags thing.... Aren't you looking for that time about 6 months from now when instead of watching peoples' eyes glaze over when you say "I work on computers" you'll be able to see their reaction when you say "I'm a med student"
                                </non-sequitor>
                                yes, YES, YES!!!!!

But, I suspect it's a lot more than 3 others: I see </rant> a whole lot, for example. People forget to open their tags, though. Naughty, naughty! :p

seethrew

(superthrew)
                                10+ Year Member
                                15+ Year Member
                                Nov 27, 2003
                                cast in steel
                                1. Medical Student
                                  katec12345 said:
                                  Basically, UVA has a great big stick up its butt and they don't like anything non-traditional, including people who have taken years off to travel, do research, post-baccs, whatever

Uh. I was a fine arts major. Non trad. Post Bac. Lived on a commune for a few years. Out of state applicant. Fastest acceptance I got. Guess I am an anomoly.

Fantasy Sports

10+ Year Member
                                  5+ Year Member
                                  Oct 28, 2004
                                    blueperson said:
                                    I was recently told by a guidance counselor not to bother applying to UVA (my state school) because it is in a class of its own. Better than all the other publics and rivals Ivy League.

Not really, most unbiased doctors will tell you that UCSF, UCLA, UCSD, UW, UM, UTSW, and UNC are at the very least as good, and are generally considered better than UVa.

And while UVa might rival Ivy League schools, its not Harvard, Yale, Penn it is rivaling. It is better than schools like Brown, Dartmouth though.

Its a good school, especially if you're in state its GREAT, but its not in a "class of its own".

:)
                                    blueperson said:

Hi there,
                                    I attended UVa as an undergrad and I am totally a Virginian. Virginia Med offers a great learning opportunity and is an excellent place to go to medical school. All applicants are considered and post-baccs are quite welcome as long as you meet the requirements for admission. As a resident in the General Surgery department there, I have found the Virgnia medical students to be good students who perform well both academically and clinically. They are no better than medical students at other medical schools.

Apply to Virginia because it is your state school. I applied there and got in but elected to attend another school because I received a full-ride tuition scholarship. (No debt versus a large debt) It was definitely a no-brainer for me.

Choose the schools that interest you and don't let rumors sway you against or toward a school. Use your own criteria such as location, curriculum, facilities, cost of living etc. Apply to schools that meet your criteria and resist the urge to look at someone else's opinions. You are the one that will be investing the thousands of dollars in tuition and the hours of study at a particular school. Any school in the United States can prepare you for residency. It is all about your work ethic and your performance so go where you can perform well and where you have a good shot at getting in.

Good luck!
                                    njbmd

About the Ads

10minutes

M.D.Candidate
                                    5+ Year Member
                                    15+ Year Member
                                    Apr 10, 2004
                                    Virginia
                                      RunMimi said:
                                      I'm a Virginia (NOVA pride!) and have had a lot of experiences with the school. I chose not to go there for undergrad because so many of my HS classmates were. I'm not sure if they feel like they have something to prove, but most of the undergrads I know there got more snobby over their years. I only know one student at the medical school and she is awesome and totally down to Earth. On interview day, however, it seemed like a lot of their current students were UVA graduates. I'm not sure. I hope they have a second look weekend--does anyone know about this?

I highly doubt that we have a second look weekend... I don't remember having one when I applied... but, come on, runmimi, you got to come here! we have a lot of NOVA peeps here! (including myself) I see a few of them even during breaks... And I look forward to spending 3 months or so at NOVA during rotation...

Btw, we have around 30 UVA graduates here (out of class of 140). Next is Duke graduates (about 20) and Hopkins (~10).

My guess is that you went to TJ, am I right? ;)

TheElephant

10+ Year Member
                                      5+ Year Member
                                      Oct 17, 2004
                                      NC
                                        First of all, I do not consider UVA to be in a league of its own because as earlier mentioned UVA has many competitors such as UCSF, University of Michigan, UNC, University of Washington etc. Secondly, non-traditional applicants do get accepted to UVA as is apparent from profile of the following applicant, http://mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=2239, so why shouldn't you apply to UVA? You can apply and see what happens.

skoaner

10+ Year Member
                                        5+ Year Member
                                        Sep 16, 2004
                                          failure.jpg

freaker

10+ Year Member
                                          Apr 17, 2004
                                            What is with kids from northern Virginia splitting themselves off from the rest of the state?

I mean, it's very common to have geographic cultural differences in states (east TN, west TN; east TX, west TX; north Jersey, south Jersey), but people don't refer to themselves this way.

River Rat

Air Force
                                            15+ Year Member
                                            May 31, 2004
                                              freaker said:
                                              What is with kids from northern Virginia splitting themselves off from the rest of the state?

I mean, it's very common to have geographic cultural differences in states (east TN, west TN; east TX, west TX; north Jersey, south Jersey), but people don't refer to themselves this way.

you have to be here to understand :(. the northern virginia region is more of a suburban, metropolitan area with plenty of stuff to do (but I'm bored most of the time, anyways). 30 minutes west and you'll be in rural farmland. I recall hearing something about Fairfax County (northern virginia pretty much) being one of the richest, if not richest, counties in the nation for a short while.

Anyways, in terms of medical schools in the state of Virginia, I believe MCV would reign supreme, followed by EVMS and UVA. I'm not hating on UVA or anything. Following that logic, I'd place MCV as dead last. Spent two years in Richmond and I don't want to go back :(.

Melanie

10+ Year Member
                                              5+ Year Member
                                              Sep 9, 2004
                                                RunMimi said:
                                                I'm a Virginia (NOVA pride!) and have had a lot of experiences with the school. I chose not to go there for undergrad because so many of my HS classmates were. I'm not sure if they feel like they have something to prove, but most of the undergrads I know there got more snobby over their years. I only know one student at the medical school and she is awesome and totally down to Earth. this?

I was also the only student from my HS who chose NOT to go to UVA, because of how incredibly snobby they are. When you look at the student parking lots, you see BMWs, Mercedes, etc. And, they dress up to go to football games, for example.

This stuff about UVA being in "a league of its own" is exactly the kind of crap that this school has claimed for the last 100 years. Neither its undergrad education nor M.D. program is any better than anywhere else. Charlottesville, for example, has no patients! How could you argue that you learn better clinical skills there than at MCV or EVMS, both of which are located in well-populated areas of the state.

The problem here is that UVA and its students have such an elitist attitude that the rest of the world believes them!

10minutes

M.D.Candidate
                                                5+ Year Member
                                                15+ Year Member
                                                Apr 10, 2004
                                                Virginia
                                                  Hmm... What a hostile responses... It appears that majority of people here either go to MCV or EVMS, or plan to go there. Hmm... Do these people actually know much about UVA? Notice most of the haters are instate...

10minutes

M.D.Candidate
                                                  5+ Year Member
                                                  15+ Year Member
                                                  Apr 10, 2004
                                                  Virginia
                                                    freaker said:

Because NOVA is so different from the rest of state... I wish UVA is in NOVA...

Melanie

10+ Year Member
                                                    5+ Year Member
                                                    Sep 9, 2004
                                                      10minutes said:
                                                      Hmm... What a hostile responses... It appears that majority of people here either go to MCV or EVMS, or plan to go there. Hmm... Do these people actually know much about UVA? Notice most of the haters are instate...

I have met so many physicians, so many students (undergrad and grad) from UVA that I feel that I am justified in my opinion. Hmm...do I know anything about UVA? Let's see, I grew up about 20 minutes from Charlottesville, and both of my parents work there, so yes, I guess I do know a little bit about the school, its dynamic, and the attitudes of the people affiliated with it.

About the Ads

River Rat

Air Force
                                                      15+ Year Member
                                                      May 31, 2004
                                                        10minutes said:

I don't really hate UVA, but I can see why everyone else can. Don't get me wrong, it's the best in-state school (save for it's med program. I believe their clinical training is rather lacking. But that's just what the head of the radiation oncology at INOVA told me,) but that being said, I don't neccessarily feel the need to go there. Most of the times, I think everyone else hates on UVA just to jump on the bandwagon. However, you have to admit UVA is a pretty homogenous campus. There is very little diversity there, and with so many qualified people that are alike there, it's no surprise that most of them tend to believe they're the best of the best. My little cousin, for example, still manages to believe that she is one of the "brightest people in the world" even with her bare 3.0 just because "she goes to UVA". Ah well, I've met the occasional, oddball cool wahoo once in a while.

Where'd you NoVA kids go to high school, if you don't mind me asking :cool:.

insistence

10+ Year Member
                                                        Oct 20, 2004
                                                          River Rat said:
                                                          I don't really hate UVA, but I can see why everyone else can. Don't get me wrong, it's the best in-state school (save for it's med program. I believe their clinical training is rather lacking. But that's just what the head of the radiation oncology at INOVA told me,) but that being said, I don't neccessarily feel the need to go there. Most of the times, I think everyone else hates on UVA just to jump on the bandwagon. However, you have to admit UVA is a pretty homogenous campus. There is very little diversity there, and with so many qualified people that are alike there, it's no surprise that most of them tend to believe they're the best of the best. My little cousin, for example, still manages to believe that she is one of the "brightest people in the world" even with her bare 3.0 just because "she goes to UVA". Ah well, I've met the occasional, oddball cool wahoo once in a while.

I grew up in NOVA and I must say it does have a different feel from a vast majority of the regions of the state I've been to. I went to college at JMU (and worked for 2.5yrs) in Harrisonburg, VA which is very close to West Virginia and it certainly has a southern feel to it. I'm currently in Richmond which also has a very southern feel to it. I guess you don't realize how different the northern part of the state is until you leave it and live somewhere else within the state..then it becomes VERY apparent.

I'll most likely will be attending MCV next year but I've got no hate for UVA at all. It's tremendous school and I would have loved to have a chance to attend here. I went to TJ ( :) :) ) and about 100+ people from the school went to UVA so that was the huge reason I didn't even apply there as an undergrad. It has the rep for being quite elitist but I didn't get that vibe from all the time I spent there visiting my friends throughout college.

I'm curious about the volume of clinical experience there since it is not near many major metro areas but I know first hand that it is the major medical center for a good chunk of central VA.

10minutes

M.D.Candidate
                                                          5+ Year Member
                                                          15+ Year Member
                                                          Apr 10, 2004
                                                          Virginia
                                                            River Rat said:

I went to Fairfax HS but I spent only two years there because I came to US when I was a Junior in Korea. I do admit that UVA is somewhat homogenous but we have about 35% out of staters so that's a lot more than other virginia schools have. I do wish we have more asian groups here, but the numbers are increasing every year. Even though UVA was nowhere near the top of my choices when I applied for undergrad, after nearly 5 years of school here, I consider that UVA is a pretty good school for both undergrad and med education. Otherwise I wouldn't have come here (I turned down 4 other choices for med) and therefore I don't like to hear my school getting bashed. Of course I'm not saying UVA is top... I honestly admit that I would have chosen any top 10 schools over UVA. But when I chose UVA, I was certain that I will get an excellent education in both clinical and research area. I like the fact that our medical center is one of the best in Virginia and that we do part of rotations outside of UVA (especially at nova). It's also nice that we've had 2 Nobel prize winners in 90s and take research pretty seriously. And most importantly, we match pretty well. (I'm interested in radio or ortho so...) Lastly, we have a plenty of Ivy rejects here :smuggrin: I don't think they consider themselves as the best at all... I understand that the outside perception could be extreme... but in fact, I consider my school the best bang for the money in virginia especially for undergrad... And of course, don't forget that our girls are HOT! :smuggrin:

10minutes

M.D.Candidate
                                                            5+ Year Member
                                                            15+ Year Member
                                                            Apr 10, 2004
                                                            Virginia
                                                              insistence said:

I grew up in NOVA and I must say it does have a different feel from a vast majority of the regions of the state I've been to. I went to college at JMU (and worked for 2.5yrs) in Harrisonburg, VA which is very close to West Virginia and it certainly has a southern feel to it. I'm currently in Richmond which also has a very southern feel to it. I guess you don't realize how different the northern part of the state is until you leave it and live somewhere else within the state..then it becomes VERY apparent.

I'll most likely will be attending MCV next year but I've got no hate for UVA at all. It's tremendous school and I would have loved to have a chance to attend here. I went to TJ ( :) :) ) and about 100+ people from the school went to UVA so that was the huge reason I didn't even apply there as an undergrad. It has the rep for being quite elitist but I didn't get that vibe from all the time I spent there visiting my friends throughout college.

I'm curious about the volume of clinical experience there since it is not near many major metro areas but I know first hand that it is the major medical center for a good chunk of central VA.

yep. I'm sick of TJ grads. :D haha, J/k. Yeah, UVA loves TJ grads... :)

whattodowithmys

10+ Year Member
                                                              5+ Year Member
                                                              Jun 14, 2004
                                                                i also went to a large public school in va (though not in nova) where close to 30 of our grads went to uva, which was a large reason for me not electing to go there. though i personally like uva, i do understand the sentiments of some you you uva-bashers. ive actually got a list of things that can describe uva from the negative standpoint.

1. no one should ever be compelled to wear a shirt and tie to a football game, (no wonder they have such a stuck up preppy image!),... and how intimidating can it be when opposing teams look up in the stands to see a bunch of kids dressed in thier sunday's best, facing OPPOSITE the field to have thier picture taken with thier frat brothers or soroity sisters against the backdrop of scott stadium. (i do realize that the new wave of orange fever has arrived.. im just making a point)

2. now im white, so this isnt a big concern of mine... but c'mon uva is one of the WHITEST schools in america, at least of its supposed academic prowess. there are barely any asians, latinos, etc. in fact when i visited campus four years ago, i must have seen about 9 students of color, and guess what.. they were getting smoked by the duke blue devils basketball team

3. the "public-ivy", or the "vy league of the south". PLEASE stop indulging yourself so deeply. while i do agree, uva attracts some of the best students from around the state, ivies grab the best from around the country, and some from around the world. someone talked about a school that send like 100 kids to uva.. show me a school that sends 100 kids (combined) to the ives and mit and stanford in a given year, then maybe ill consider uva's tier a little higher. the fact is, outside of the mid-atlantic, uva is known of, but not neccesarily revered the way it is in va.

4. some (not all) of the kids that go to uva are just in thier own little uva-world, you have to hit them in the head to wake them. a chemistry major from uva with a 3.74 his freshman year transferred to my school expecting to rock our curriculum too. his cum after his jr fall semester was a 3.35, still in chemistry, and yet this he maintains that uva was tougher, becasue it was easier to get a higher gpa, so that made kids more competitive (does that even make sense?

with all this said i just want to say that i am actually fond of the school and a big wahoo sports fan. but no one can deny that the school has an image, and a large number of students that contribute to a bad image seen by the nay-sayers

10minutes

M.D.Candidate
                                                                5+ Year Member
                                                                15+ Year Member
                                                                Apr 10, 2004
                                                                Virginia
                                                                  I'm gonna stop doing this since exams are coming up, but, Let me see...

1. no one should ever be compelled to wear a shirt and tie to a football game, (no wonder they have such a stuck up preppy image!),... and how intimidating can it be when opposing teams look up in the stands to see a bunch of kids dressed in thier sunday's best, facing OPPOSITE the field to have thier picture taken with thier frat brothers or soroity sisters against the backdrop of scott stadium. (i do realize that the new wave of orange fever has arrived.. im just making a point)

As you said, majority of fans wear orange clothes now.

2. now im white, so this isnt a big concern of mine... but c'mon uva is one of the WHITEST schools in america, at least of its supposed academic prowess. there are barely any asians, latinos, etc. in fact when i visited campus four years ago, i must have seen about 9 students of color, and guess what.. they were getting smoked by the duke blue devils basketball team

Uva is white oriented compared to top privates. Compared to other virginia schools? Not necessarily. We have 12% asian and 10% african american (don't know about hispanics).

3. the "public-ivy", or the "vy league of the south". PLEASE stop indulging yourself so deeply. while i do agree, uva attracts some of the best students from around the state, ivies grab the best from around the country, and some from around the world. someone talked about a school that send like 100 kids to uva.. show me a school that sends 100 kids (combined) to the ives and mit and stanford in a given year, then maybe ill consider uva's tier a little higher. the fact is, outside of the mid-atlantic, uva is known of, but not neccesarily revered the way it is in va.

NO ONE thinks that Uva is the ivy of the south. Not even Uva students. I think you got confused Duke with Uva. Oh, and what's wrong with being called 'public-ivy' when Uva is one of the top ranked public schools? Also, just to let you know, TJ sends more than 100 to the ives and top privates (they also send more than 100 to uva).

4. some (not all) of the kids that go to uva are just in thier own little uva-world, you have to hit them in the head to wake them. a chemistry major from uva with a 3.74 his freshman year transferred to my school expecting to rock our curriculum too. his cum after his jr fall semester was a 3.35, still in chemistry, and yet this he maintains that uva was tougher, becasue it was easier to get a higher gpa, so that made kids more competitive (does that even make sense?

You can't judge Uva by just a few students here. But the fact is that many of the bright virginia students come here to get an excellent education. You can say the same thing regarding UNC or Michigan.

ms1_to_be

10+ Year Member
                                                                  15+ Year Member
                                                                  Mar 16, 2001
                                                                    I'm a 4th year non-UVA medical student applying for residency (despite my outdated moniker) and believe that while UVA may not beat UCSF, it is still a good medical school. It has excellent internal medicine, neurosurgery, and pathology departments among others. And despite its location in a small city, the hospital's catchment area includes much of the southern and western part of the state of Virginia and parts of neighboring states.

drwlo

10+ Year Member
                                                                    5+ Year Member
                                                                    Feb 4, 2005
                                                                      seethrew said:
                                                                      Uh. I was a fine arts major. Non trad. Post Bac. Lived on a commune for a few years. Out of state applicant. Fastest acceptance I got. Guess I am an anomoly.

I dont think you're an anomoly. I am also non-trad, art background. I lived in Italy for awhile. I got accepted Oct 15th. I don't think they care, I just think they look for interesting people.

Melanie

Junior Member
                                                                      10+ Year Member
                                                                      5+ Year Member
                                                                      Sep 9, 2004
                                                                        drwlo said:
                                                                        I dont think you're an anomoly. I am also non-trad, art background. I lived in Italy for awhile. I got accepted Oct 15th. I don't think they care, I just think they look for interesting people.

Let's vote...who is more non-traditional and interesting??

wordson1

Junior Member
                                                                        10+ Year Member
                                                                        5+ Year Member
                                                                        Dec 2, 2004
                                                                          10 mins.. dont sweat the uva bashers, many people have extreme feelings for a school for one reason or another, but i guess you gotta just ignore them, though im sure its hard when they talk about your school..i say, go hoos!

gujuDoc

Full Member
                                                                          10+ Year Member
                                                                          15+ Year Member
                                                                          Feb 21, 2004
                                                                          13,864
                                                                          1. Medical Student
                                                                          2. Resident [Any Field]
                                                                            Well without having finished reading all the posts I will say that the fact that an advisor told you that stuff, should be enough to know its a load of bull sh1t.

My point, most advisors have no freaking clue what they are talking about.

I totally agree with exmike's words about advisors trying to put their biased opinions on you, and then when you get accepted to a med school they want to think it was their not so great advice that got you there.

Also, that point someone made about UCSF and UCLA, etc etc. was a really good point of proof that there are much better schools than UVa on the rankings system so it is not the only school that may provide quality education and research that is public.

However, that being said, all schools will provide good clinical training, and what you make of wherever you go is your own call and depends on you as an individual.

gujuDoc

Full Member
                                                                            10+ Year Member
                                                                            15+ Year Member
                                                                            Feb 21, 2004
                                                                            13,864
                                                                            1. Medical Student
                                                                            2. Resident [Any Field]
                                                                              Wow upon further reading of this post, I just realized a kind of funny irony.

Why is it the school that is highest ranked in your state often seems to come off as snobby to outsiders unless they actually really have gotten to go there?

Just an interesting thought.

I say this because I live in Florida and here it is the same argument between UF and the other Florida schools.

UF is the only truly ranked school in Florida and is found near a very rural area.

Its students seem nice but the dean was really snobby when I met him and I have often heard from people that things are that way around the University.

But on the other hand, I have also known some really great students that have gone there as well. So you know, I guess its a two way street. Likewise, though there are snobs in the faculty, I would also say there have been some really helpful people like the diversity initiatives office over there, which helped my friend when she went to discuss applying there.

The other reason I bring up this question is because UF is also supposedly the school that takes mostly traditional students vs. USF and UMiami which takes many many nontrads. Yet, once again, you are going to see your nontrads and other diverse students there as well.

Take home message: For every school there is its good and its bad. Not all can be known unless you actually go there to see how it is for yourself. But in the end you just got to decide what schools you are interested in and apply to the ones that interest you. Because at the end of the day you are still going to get the same medical school education.

About the Ads
                                                                              This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                                                                              2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                                                              3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                                                              4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                                                                              5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                                                                              6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                                                              7. This thread is locked.