UVA - Anatomy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CheckMate

My lost shaker of salt
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Anatomy is 1 semester.
Fall first year: Anatomy, Biochem, CTS (Cell and Tissue Structure - a combo of cell bio and histo, with a little physio to learn intro stuff before spring semester)

Spring first year: Physio (with a little CTS mixed in; so when you learn cardiovascular physio, you learn the histology of the heart and bv), genetics, neuro, human behavior

Second year: path and pharm are both year-long courses, micro starts in the fall and finishes in March, and psychopathology and epidemiology are 1 semester each. Path and Pharm have cumulative finals as preparation for the boards.

Both years also have a year long "Practice of Medicine" course in small groups of 6 students to 2 mentors. Here you learn how to take histories, do physicals, etc.

Overall it is a pretty traditional curriculum; no blocks like a lot of schools have now. I think they are making some changes to it for next year but nothing too terribly drastic.
Hope this helps!!

Beth Bailey will start sending you a ton of emails around April of this year (if you're an incoming for next year). A lot of them are current students who are looking for roommates. In reference to your question, one of the emails we got was from a group of students who were setting up a camping trip - if I remember correctly it was about 2 - 3 days long, just a chance to get to meet some other incoming students and some older students. I couldn't go but I heard it was a ton of fun.

I checked a DRAFT of next year's calendar - looks like your orientation starts on Monday, August 8th (it's mandatory to be there the first day). It is a week long so classes would start the 15th. It looks like you finish up for the year around June 10th. The schedule is a bit different from this year's 1st year schedule (we finish the end of May this year), so please know that the info I gave you could very well change.

Feel free to PM me if you have other questions!!