UVA and St Lukes-Roosevelt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

West14

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any info on the two programs. Anyone that has interviewed at the two programs, let us know of not only the program (residents, ancillary staff etc) but also the location. I have interviews at these programs late so would love to get 1st hand accounts. Feel free to send PM if not comfortable posting good or bad aspects of programs..

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Someone must have gone to uva or st lukes-roosevelt.
if you guys don't want to post on a public forum simply send me a message or e-mail me: "[email protected]"

thanks again

I visited there a couple of weeks ago.

Location: St. Luke's: Upper west side. Roosevelt: Midtown. The interview takes place at St. Lukes is right by Columbia U. Residents are considered clnical fellows of Columbia and therefore have access to their facilities. I thought the area was nice. The hospital own 3 buildings for resident housing. I was told it's around $900.00 for a studio. Of note, if you have a significant other, you only still get a studio. The 1br and above are for residents with children.

Program: Good mix of biological and psychotherapy. Very strong addiction psych as they are connected to Addiction Institute of N.Y. Normal didactics. The PD is a very nice and young, a graduate of the Columbia system. Every resident I spoke to had only good things to say about him. Since his arrival, there has been increased emphasis on psychotherapy. Apparently he is also an excellent interviewer.

Pt popn: Very diverse. I don't think you can beat the diversity in NYC. In addition, bcs they have 2 hospitals, you get to see even more pathologies. St. Luke's tend to be more of a severely, chronically mentally ill pts. Roosevelt more of the upper class. I believe they said they have a decent number of borderline pts.

Research: This is not a huge university hospital. Although it's affiiliated with columbia, the breadth of research is lacking. That being said, you can always search out PIs and set it up on your own. There's also an M.D. who specializes in helping residents get involved in research. And as mentioned before, Addiction Institute conducts a lot of addiction related research.

Residents: pretty chill. A lot of FMGs and DOs. But I have nothing bad to say about them. There were no major language barriers. I did notice that a majority of the applicants were DOs on the day that I interviewed. I'm not sure whether St. Luke's is considered a DO friendly program but it sure seemed that way.

I think that overall, it is a good program. Certainly not the strongest program but good nonetheless. I think it's worth your time to take a look at it, if you're interested in living in NY. Me, I'm not ranking it high because i'd rather not be in NYC. I don't want to move into an even smaller apartment and share it with my GF.

Let me know if you have any more questions. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I forgot to mention one thing. This may be the deciding factor for some of you.

The PD informed all the applicants that St. Luke's was in the process of (or may be they've already started) offering a dual program in child psych in conjuction with Columbia child fellowship. He mentioned that all of us who match at St. Luke's will be offered a guranteed position in the Columbia child fellowship. I think you can just finish up gen psych in 3 yrs and then move on the fellowship. If you have any questions, you should contact the PD. I'm sure he'll be able to fill you in all the info. I have no interest in child but i figured it's a pretty enticing offer or may be not. I don't know how competitive child fellowship is....

wow that's crazy; how is it possible to guarantee all the ppl who wnat to do a child fellowship a spot ; what if the majority of the ppl st luke's matches into pgy1 want to do child fellowships---how would columbia accomodate all those spots

Harukisan said:

The PD informed all the applicants that St. Luke's was in the process of (or may be they've already started) offering a dual program in child psych in conjuction with Columbia child fellowship. He mentioned that all of us who match at St. Luke's will be offered a guranteed position in the Columbia child fellowship. I think you can just finish up gen psych in 3 yrs and then move on the fellowship. If you have any questions, you should contact the PD. I'm sure he'll be able to fill you in all the info. I have no interest in child but i figured it's a pretty enticing offer or may be not. I don't know how competitive child fellowship is....

Yeah it did seem a little odd but I'm assuming most residents do not move on to child fellowship. Of course, before you decide to interview/rank them, I would definitely make sure that this is true. However, this is what I was told on the interview day.... I'm sure if you e-mail the PD, he will be more than willing to discuss this matter.

Harukisan said:

It's not a garanteed Columbia Child Fellowship...its a St. Lukes Child Fellowship. St. Lukes has its own child program separate from columbia.

I did not interview at St. Luke's Roosevelt last year, but I did interview at U. Virginia at Charlottesville. It is a gorgeous location. The locals are very friendly, which I guess is a southern thing (unheard of in NYC). Research opportunities are excellent. Very friendly residency coordinator. Excellent quality of fellowships offered there, including geriatrics, child and forensics. they also offered a combined medicine/psych residency program. Residents seemed very happy. Charlottesville is a college type of town. If you like the nightlife of a big city (i.e. NYC), you probably won't like Charlottesville.