1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

UVa on probation?

Discussion in 'Emergency Medicine' started by streetdoc, Mar 27, 2007.

1. streetdoc

streetdoc Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    So I received one of the post-match surveys from UVa and one of the question asked if the fact that UVa was on probation last year had any bearing on my rank list. Well, I never knew they were on probation so it didn't change a thing. The weird thing is that at every interview I asked the PD "what issues or citations came from your last RRC visit?" I CERTAINLY would think I'd remeber if he told me they were placed on probation.
    So does anyone know why-they certainly didn't publicize it and i'm feeling a bit angry that it was not brought up with my question...
    Just curious,
    streetdoc

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. GeneralVeers

GeneralVeers Globus Hystericus
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I hadn't heard this. Do we have any correlating documention?

For a program to be on probation they have to have numerus citations at a single visit, or continual citations after multiple visits.

If indeed they are on probation, that information should have been reported to all applicants.

4. southerndoc

southerndoc life is good
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    From the ACGME website (www.acgme.org/adspublic):

Original Accreditation Date: September 7, 1994
    Accreditation Status: Continued Full Accreditation
    Accreditation Effective Date: February 15, 2002
    Accredited Program Length: 3 years

5. southerndoc

southerndoc life is good
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    2000-2001 Full Accreditation 2/20/1998 7/31/2001
    2001-2002 Continued Full Accreditation 2/15/2002 2/1/2007
    2002-2003 Continued Full Accreditation 2/15/2002 2/1/2007
    2003-2004 Continued Full Accreditation 2/15/2002 2/1/2007
    2004-2005 Continued Full Accreditation 2/15/2002 2/1/2007
    2005-2006 Continued Full Accreditation 2/15/2002 2/1/2007
    Current Continued Full Accreditation 2/15/2002 1/17/2007

Sorry for the table format being messed up. It looks like they have ALWAYS been fully accredited.

You can find this information by searching for program accreditation history on the ACGME website at www.acgme.org/adspublic

6. streetdoc

streetdoc Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I couldn't get that link to work, but the way the question was posed made it sound like they WERE on probabtion last year (i'm guessing 2006). I remember the PD saying that the RRC had come through in Dec of 2006, but no mention of any probation period past or present.

7. oldtown

oldtown Member
    15+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I also interviewed at UVA and received that survey. The question you noted also raised my eyebrow. The explanation, I think, is this. That survey appears to have been sent out by the institutions GME office, NOT by the EM residency program, so this was probably sent to every applicant that interviewed for anything at UVA.

I would guess that they probably have one or a few other programs (not EM) that are on probation, and the probation question on the survey was a blanket question thrown out to everyone.

8. streetdoc

streetdoc Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Ok, I found it-Straight from the survey on 3/18/07

10. The University of Virginia was on probation for the period of April 2006
    through October 2006. Was this a factor into your decision?
    email sent from was [email protected]

so the question remains...any ideas why?

9. streetdoc

streetdoc Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician

ok, I'll buy that...that makes me feel a bit better now.
    thanks,
    streetdoc

10. StitchEM

StitchEM Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

This might help to clear up some confusion:
    The EM residency, or any specific residency program in particular at UVA was never on probation,
    The Hospital GME office was for violating call/ work hour requrements, notably the off hours in between shifts(surgery had the problem), call room saftey/availablilty requirements and some other adminsitrative stuff. The probation was resolved after a few months, which is why many dept's decided to send out interview offers only after the probation had been lifted, so they wouln't have to tell anyone unless asked. Slightly shady, but there it is. Any questions for current aplicants just contact the GME office http://www.healthsystem.virginia.edu/internet/housestaff/admin.cfm

11. beaudubbs

beaudubbs Dangerous...but also safe
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i wonder if this might somehow explain why i am also still waiting to hear from UVA regarding my application this year. they knew i would find out about their naughty ways and, thus, was not considered a high-probability to match there. geez they sure are clever over yonder.