Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

UVA secondary....

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Shejeboshease, Jul 23, 2006.

1. Shejeboshease

Shejeboshease Member

Greatest personal challenge/how will your overcome it in medicine?

Should we talk about a personal challenge not relevant to medicine, or somthing you don't like about medicne (like long hours, HMO stuff like that)? does anyone have the exact wordings of this essay title? please share your thoughts.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. CavalierMD

CavalierMD Secondary Stalker 4-Lyf!

Pre-Medical
    What do you think will be your greatest personal challenge as a physician and how will you address this.

personal challenge.
    I hope you don't plan to take HMOs personally... :p

:luck: :luck:

4. Wahoos

Wahoos Member
    SDN Advisor

Attending Physician
    Just talk about something in your life that you had to overcome to get where you are today. It can be anything and does not need to be about medicine. I wouldn't talk about the long hours and HMO and how you would overcome these. The question is not asking for that. The question is looking for how you deal with adversity in life and some of the personal qualities that you gained from that experience.

5. chaeymaey

chaeymaey 1K Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Does UVA take a good number of OOS? I'm gonna be living in VA starting next month, so I thought it might be a good place to apply, but I have TX residency.

6. CavalierMD

Pre-Medical
    UVa's class is about 34% OOS, I believe. I don't know if that translates to "good" or "bad" relative to other state schools... just thought I'd pass it along.

7. monkeymeg2

monkeymeg2 Member

Medical Student
    oops...I took the "as a physician" part and totally wrote about a medical issue. Hopefully that's fine...honestly I'm sure they get a good mix of people who write about a medical issue and people who write about a personal issue. Take your pick and just go with it.

8. CavalierMD

Pre-Medical
    Yeah, could be a matter of interpretation. I took it to mean: "so, you wanna be a doctor... being a doctor is tough... academically and personally... tell us something personal" thinking that they wanted to make sure you had a full 360 perspective of what you were getting into. But there are going to be a million and one challenges... and I guess you could argue that any challenge is personal, in a way... just write something you can really stand behind. :luck:

9. monkeymeg2

monkeymeg2 Member

Medical Student
    I kind of went back and forth over using a personal issue or using a medical issue. For me, the question was saying "there are a lot of things that will be going on while you are practicing medicine and a lot of things to be considered..." So, I picked something that I knew I was never going to be able to change about practicing medicine that I know will be a personal challenge and ran with it. I like how my essay turned out, though your interpretation sounds great, too. Ahh...the joys of ambiguity. Let's say we are both right (since I think we've both already submitted).

10. CavalierMD

Pre-Medical
    Sounds good to me! ;)
    See you at the interview :luck: :luck: