UVA vs. Case Western

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pbandjamie

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi friends! I have been super fortunate to receive acceptances from both of these wonderful schools, but now have no idea which to pick.

UVA -

Pros
-in state, so I would get to stay close-ish to family
-my alma mater, so I am familiar with the school and grounds
-pre-clinical is only 1.5 years, which is great

Cons
-not sure if I want to stay in Charlottesville for another 4 years
-suburban/rural patient population, not as diverse as a more urban school
-I believe the UVA hospital is smaller than the University hospital in Cleveland, and I do think I'd enjoy a bigger hospital better

Case Western -

Pros
-incredible, brand new building
-huge medical hub in Cleveland
-opportunities to do rotations at Cleveland Clinic
-Hololens for anatomy which is awesome
-urban setting with diverse patient population
-also only 1.5 years for pre-clinical time
-higher average step scores than UVA I believe
-the first school I interviewed at, the first school to accept me, and honestly just kinda fell in love as soon as I stepped foot in the building

Cons
-Cleveland, which I haven't heard great things about
-far from family, significant other less likely to come with me (been together for 4 years and have a dog together)
-I think there may be no option to work with cadavers for anatomy, but I also seem to remember hearing they would be adding that option for my incoming class so idk

If anybody has any additional points to add about the school, I'd love to hear them!

Members don't see this ad.

Any idea on estimated COA for both? (Or if COA even matters for you?)
In state tuition at UVA is only 10k less than Case Western's tuition, and when you factor in the cost of living difference, it ends up being about the same! So it doesn't matter too much to me

Members don't see this ad :)
I was about to say Case until I saw SO part :)
Well, the SO is very adamant about them wanting me to make the decision regardless of whether they will be able to come or not. But I agree, it does make UVA seem like a better option, haha. Are there any other reasons, aside from the ones I listed, that you would have said Case over UVA?

Case for literally everything except your SO. Definitely better match list from case vs UVA, more diverse patients, bigger hospitals seeing much more complex pathology, better facilities with the new building, etc. And while Cleveland has a bad rep compared with like NYC, it is a way more vibrant than Charlottesville...

As for family and being nearer to home, I am of the belief that as long as everybody is healthy it’s good to expand your horizons for a bit and you can always visit family and move back after 4 years if you so choose. Would be nice to have the support of your SO though (either good long distance plan or convincing them to take the plunge and move if career allows).

good luck with the decision

Reactions: 3 users
Case for literally everything except your SO. Definitely better match list from case vs UVA, more diverse patients, bigger hospitals seeing much more complex pathology, better facilities with the new building, etc. And while Cleveland has a bad rep compared with like NYC, it is a way more vibrant than Charlottesville...

As for family and being nearer to home, I am of the belief that as long as everybody is healthy it’s good to expand your horizons for a bit and you can always visit family and move back after 4 years if you so choose. Would be nice to have the support of your SO though (either good long distance plan or convincing them to take the plunge and move if career allows).

good luck with the decision
This is super solid feedback, thank you. I appreciate your perspective on it

Cleveland Clinic will be a big attraction if I were you but SO is also important and no one can advise on that aspect.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello! I would pick Case Western if I were you based on your list. Also small plug- I know a lot of couples that have (successfully) done long distance during medical school. I say go for it and best of luck!!

Reactions: 1 users
Others could add, but where do you want to end up? I'm Northeast, and can't say I've met anyone recently (resident or staff) from Case, though I know it's a great institution. Know/have met many from UVA, they may match better than Case in the East...

Last edited:
  • Hmm
Members don't see this ad :)
Case still does a two week intensive cadaver dissection at the beginning of M1 and then hololens for the rest of pre-clinical, so you are not giving up cadaver anatomy by picking Case.

Reactions: 1 user
Others could add, but where do you want to end up? I'm Northeast, and can't say I've met anyone recently (resident or staff) from Case, though I know it's a great institution. Know/have met many from UVA, they may match better than Case in the East...
I do think I want to end up back on the East coast... I didn't consider how the schools match regionally, thank you!

If anybody has anything to add for UVA, I would love to hear it!

UVA's match list is great too and it absolutely will not hold you back compared to Case. UVA as you probably know has many nationally renowned physicians as well in various fields to work with. And the class of 2020 has an average step 1 score of 242 and average step 2 CK of 255. UVA also has a surprisingly diverse population and I'm pretty surprised at the volume and pretty rare conditions you see.

I didn't see this mentioned -Don't forget about the new partnership with Inova Fairfax your class will get to experience - about half the class can do all their clinical rotations at Inova. I did one of my rotations there and it is definitely a large and very nice hospital I thought. you'll be near D.C and won't necessarily nearly have to be in Charlottesville for all 4 years.

Case is a great medical school too but I also wouldn't underrate the importance of having a good support system in med school and SO close by.

• Love
The way I see it, they are both great schools with not that big of a difference in terms of prestige. I don't believe Case Western can open any door for you that UVA cannot. I would assume I am a few years older than you and I have been living in multiple cities and countries all my life. My advice to you is that having a support system goes a very long way. For example, simply having your mom or SO help you out with food or clothes when you are studying for your STEP 1 already makes a huge difference, likely results in a higher score since the only thing you have to do is studying. A new city with a diverse hospital is tempting for sure, but now that I have moved around so much, I value lasting and meaningful relationships more, esp in this case because the pro isn't that big to me (I might say sth different if it was Havard vs UVA). 4 years is a long time and I'd recommend UVA if you are very serious about the relationship with your SO (I am married btw). Yes we all know there are successful and unsuccessful long-distance couples, but why risk your current happiness to go to a place where there's a 50/50 chance you might be happy, if you have the choice? My last 2 cents is that I believe a renowned diverse hospital would matter much more for your residence so don't worry too much about clinical rotations. Of course at the end of the day its totally your call (you do sound like you're in love with Case Western though) but don't underestimate a good support system.

The way I see it, they are both great schools with not that big of a difference in terms of prestige. I don't believe Case Western can open any door for you that UVA cannot. I would assume I am a few years older than you and I have been living in multiple cities and countries all my life. My advice to you is that having a support system goes a very long way. For example, simply having your mom or SO help you out with food or clothes when you are studying for your STEP 1 already makes a huge difference, likely results in a higher score since the only thing you have to do is studying. A new city with a diverse hospital is tempting for sure, but now that I have moved around so much, I value lasting and meaningful relationships more, esp in this case because the pro isn't that big to me (I might say sth different if it was Havard vs UVA). 4 years is a long time and I'd recommend UVA if you are very serious about the relationship with your SO (I am married btw). Yes we all know there are successful and unsuccessful long-distance couples, but why risk your current happiness to go to a place where there's a 50/50 chance you might be happy, if you have the choice? My last 2 cents is that I believe a renowned diverse hospital would matter much more for your residence so don't worry too much about clinical rotations. Of course at the end of the day its totally your call (you do sound like you're in love with Case Western though) but don't underestimate a good support system.
Thank you and @Yorick for commenting for UVA! I think the fact that they are both such great programs with a lot of overlap is making this decision very tough. I know having a strong support network is vital, but I also almost feel like not having that distraction might be good. I don't know, I don't think I'll ever be able to pick haha

Went to Case for undergrad and I actually loved it/Cleveland! It honestly seems like you liked Case more, judging from your pro/con list. However, I'm someone who made my med school decision mostly based off wanting to stick with my SO and have no regrets. If your SO would be unhappy going to Cleveland, go to UVA. Yes, people can do long-distance, but it's really tough. I think both schools are comparable and you would be able to get into good residencies with either school. I also honestly wouldn't include STEP scores as a huge factor-- as long as a school has a good pass rate, the actual score that students get is up to each individual.

Thank you and @Yorick for commenting for UVA! I think the fact that they are both such great programs with a lot of overlap is making this decision very tough. I know having a strong support network is vital, but I also almost feel like not having that distraction might be good. I don't know, I don't think I'll ever be able to pick haha
haha and the worst part is there is no way for you to eventually know whether you made the right choice. gluck though and no need to regret whatever you chose :thumbup:

Reactions: 2 users
There’s a lot to be said about moving to a new city and starting over on your own, building a new friend group, being more independent and experiencing a different part of the country. That’s what I did for med school because I similarly didn’t have big differences in prestige and I’m glad I did. It doesn’t work out for everyone, but I think there’s a lot of maturation and personal growth to be had.

Personally just based on what you’ve said I think you should go to Case Western. Long distance would be tough for sure but in this case (no pun intended) I think your feelings about CWRU and what I said above make that the better choice. If your relationship last, then great and I’m sure it’ll be stronger and if not then it’ll be ok. But if you choose UVA that’s an absolutely fine decision too.

There’s a lot to be said about moving to a new city and starting over on your own, building a new friend group, being more independent and experiencing a different part of the country. That’s what I did for med school because I similarly didn’t have big differences in prestige and I’m glad I did. It doesn’t work out for everyone, but I think there’s a lot of maturation and personal growth to be had.

Personally just based on what you’ve said I think you should go to Case Western. Long distance would be tough for sure but in this case (no pun intended) I think your feelings about CWRU and what I said above make that the better choice. If your relationship last, then great and I’m sure it’ll be stronger and if not then it’ll be ok. But if you choose UVA that’s an absolutely fine decision too.
I think that's a big reason why I'm stuck on this decision, part of me really wants to venture out and explore a new city and meet new people. I love Charlottesville, but it gets old fast. But I'm worried I'm undervaluing the advantage that being near my support system might give me...

I greatly appreciate your input and perspective! I think that may have been exactly what I needed to hear.

Does anybody believe Step 1 becoming P/F should affect my decision?

Case might have a slightly stronger name brand than UVA due to its association with Cleveland Clinic, but overall I think they are more or less equally well-regarded. Both schools will likely continue to put out great match lists.

Case might have a slightly stronger name brand than UVA due to its association with Cleveland Clinic, but overall I think they are more or less equally well-regarded. Both schools will likely continue to put out great match lists.

given the focus away from step1, since both of these schools are still well regarded, go where you might be able to get more interesting research opportunities

given the focus away from step1, since both of these schools are still well regarded, go where you might be able to get more interesting research opportunities
Okay, I was thinking that and am not sure which would be the best for that. I'm thinking Case maybe?