UVA vs Mount Sinai

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

justinbaily

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I love both of these schools and they both seem to have a lot going for them. UVA is in a beautiful city and will have amazing new facilities next year. I'm also a Virginia resident, so the tuition would be slightly lower than at Sinai. The UVA campus is gorgeous, too, and everyone seemed to be very pleasant and nice when I was there. I am a little bit concerned about the away rotations. Could any UVA students chime in about those?

Sinai obviously has a great location, as well, but with a far more diverse patient population. The hospital was pretty amazing, too. I think that it was recently ranked the 14th best in the country, although I could be making that up. I think that I would miss having a big campus associated with the school, though. It also seems like I wouldn't have much time for New York as a medical student, which would be a little bit depressing.

How do the two compare? I feel like they are of near-identical quality, but at the same time the two could not be any more different. Would anyone care to weigh in? Does one have a better reputation than the other? They both seem like amazing schools.

Members don't see this ad.

I love both of these schools and they both seem to have a lot going for them. UVA is in a beautiful city and will have amazing new facilities next year. I'm also a Virginia resident, so the tuition would be slightly lower than at Sinai. The UVA campus is gorgeous, too, and everyone seemed to be very pleasant and nice when I was there. I am a little bit concerned about the away rotations. Could any UVA students chime in about those?

Sinai obviously has a great location, as well, but with a far more diverse patient population. The hospital was pretty amazing, too. I think that it was recently ranked the 14th best in the country, although I could be making that up. I think that I would miss having a big campus associated with the school, though. It also seems like I wouldn't have much time for New York as a medical student, which would be a little bit depressing.

How do the two compare? I feel like they are of near-identical quality, but at the same time the two could not be any more different. Would anyone care to weigh in? Does one have a better reputation than the other? They both seem like amazing schools.

As someone who lived in Charlottesville for 4 years, I would say choose Mt. Sinai. You may never get a chance to live in NY again, and you seem like you'd like the experience. The networking opportunities will also be superior to UVA. I think you'll have some free time as a med student, and I think you know which one is more exciting.

The tuition is a big deal though. Tough choice. Good luck!:luck:

The tuition is a big deal though. Tough choice. Good luck!:luck:

I thought Sinai arranged it so you only had to take out $25K in loans each year. Have they changed that? Cost of living may be higher, but you may end up with less out in loans in the long run.

It also seems like I wouldn't have much time for New York as a medical student, which would be a little bit depressing.

My impression is that Sinai highly encourages students to take part in activities outside of the school. So one would assume you have some time to spend in and around New York.

Members don't see this ad :)
Completely disregarding tuition and expenses, are there any other thoughts regarding these two schools?

It just depends what you out of your medical school experience. UVA is a lot more collegial, and the students seemed like a close group. I think i'd be a nice place to spend 4 years there. I think when i was there the Dean said it was one of the most cosmopolitan towns in America? Not sure though.
I'm partial to UVA, although I've never been to NYC. I'll go in January, so maybe you might value my input later on. The good news is that you still have some time to make your decision.

:luck:

Status
Not open for further replies.