UVA vs. Pitt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ad12c

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Fortunate to have two great options - but I'm not exactly sure how much weight I should be placing on cost vs. prestige. As of right now, I'm unsure of a potential speciality and leaning towards academics, so keeping doors open is a priority. Additionally, going a school that has students that are happy and well-supported is a big priority as well.
Thanks in advance for reading and responding!

UVA

Pros:

In-state, and very familiar with the Charlottesville area
Seems like students are extremely happy, and the school takes student well-being and maintaining a relaxed vibe seriously (via interview and Second Look)
Unranked P/F as far as I know (?)
18 month preclinical curriculum
About 12k less expensive per year than Pitt (roughly 50k less in total)
Very solid match lists in recent years
Not a huge research focus in the same way as Pitt, but plenty of opportunities available

Cons:

Charlottesville is great, but I'm not sure if I'll feel the same after a couple years
Clinical sites aren't as great as Pitt - UVA is a single-hospital system, some rotations can be distant
General lack of diversity in the Charlottesville area
A slight difference in prestige compared to Pitt

Pitt

Pros:

Spent a couple summers in a program at Pitt Med and really enjoyed it there, so there's some familiarity with the area and the city
From a very rural hometown and went to undergrad in a college town, so Pittsburgh itself is a pro
Research focus, required scholarly project
The UPMC system - amazing clinical sites, all within the general Pittsburgh area
Areas of concentration within the curriculum allow flexibility, although it is traditional
Unranked P/F
Very strong match lists, with an edge over UVA in my opinion

Cons:

Got accepted to Pitt Med through the aforementioned summer program - no traditional interview experience to base things off of, and Second Look is very late this month
2 year, traditional curriculum
Not as generous with need-based aid as I had hoped, so ~50k more expensive over 4 years
Students seem happy and well-supported - but no personal experience/anecdotes to base this off of, unlike UVA

Overall

While I'm aware that differences among the T25-30 are mostly negligible, I can't shake that feeling that Pitt is a step up from UVA as far as prestige. While neither will close any doors in the future, I think Pitt may open more especially if I were to continue towards academics. However, I'm not sure how much stock to put into the cost difference at this point, and while I've been favoring Pitt, I haven't been able to fully form an opinion on it in the same way. Any thoughts would be incredibly helpful.

Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad.

50k is not a significant difference in the grand scheme of things for pitt. Either option is great, I would look towards mentors in specific fields you are interested in at the different schools and see if that helps pull you one way or the other.

Reactions: 1 users
Did you speak to Pitt about matching UVA's offer? I'm not sure what Pitt's policy is (some schools straight up say they don't match) but if they don't say anything then I think it would be worth a shot just to ask if they can up their offer a bit. I don't think the 50k price difference should be a deal breaker though.

You seem like you want to go to Pitt, so I think you should go to Pitt. You are right that Pitt's match lists are very impressive and since you grew up in a rural area and went to college in a college town it seems like you would enjoy Pittsburgh (vs more of the same at UVA).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Personally would do Pitt based on location and wanting to branch out.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Pitts a top 15! Definitely more opportunities if you’re interested in academics than UVA

Pitt was tied with Yale #13 in this year's USNews and ranks in the top 5 for NIH funding. Definitely Pitt!!

Did you speak to Pitt about matching UVA's offer? I'm not sure what Pitt's policy is (some schools straight up say they don't match)

Pitt is one of those schools--at my interview day they explicitly said they don't match. And that merit offers are astronomically rare and focused on very specific cases. They have very generous need based aid, but they're being progressive about offering mostly need based. Which personally I find ethically excellent.

But I would still go to Pitt if I were OP. Just because I think the enhanced opportunities and benefits are worth 50k. That's my personal calculus, though. Everyone needs to decide how much value they place on these ephemoral benefits, y'know?

Reactions: 2 users
Decided on Pitt - a really positive Second Look experience sealed the deal! Thanks to all for your help in making the final decision!

Reactions: 2 users