UVA vs. Rochester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cougarblue

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If there are any UVA students out there, particularly if you are married, I would truly appreciate any feedback which you may have regarding a few questions. Honestly speaking I am amazed to have been accepted to two schools which were at the top of my list. I loved Rochester, and would be extremely happy to attend, but honestly, I liked the vibe in Charlottesville better. Here is the dilemna which makes me lean towards attending Rochester even though I would like the attend UVA. I am a non-trad with a family. After discussions with financial aid at both schools it is clear that my wife will have to work for us to get by. I have heard from various sources, although all second-hand, that the job market in Charlottesville is poor due to an over abundance of qualified applicants and a potential hiring freeze at UVA. Are these rumors true? Do any of you have working spouses, and if so, did they experience difficulty in finding a position? Thanks again for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

What does your wife do? I can tell you that the job market in Rochester in not terrific either. However, Rochester is a city of 1,000,000 so there are some possibilities.

Ed

Cougarblue,
I would recommend that you decide which school fits you better, and where you would rather live and go there. You are making a huge financial investment; make sure it's one that your most happy with. Your wife will probably be able to find something in Charlottesville(and I think Charlottesville is more livable than Rochester). Besides, everybody is poor in med school, and everybody is scraping, whether they have a working spouse or not. I graduated with two kids, my wife worked very part-time, and we did fine.
Good Luck!

BTW-are you "blue" just b/c your cougs got whupped by my Utes?