UVA vs Stony Brook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DivisionByZero

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recently got off the UVA waitlist and have to make a decision soon. NY resident

UVA:
pros
-true P/F means a lot less stress
-better ranked, more important since step 1 is becoming P/F
-strong programs in the specialty I want to pursue
-loved the vibe of the school, one of my favorite interview days

cons:
-OOS tuition means more expensive (20k per year)
-charlottesville is tiny and a college town
-not sure how hard it will be to match back to ny if i want to

Stony Brook:
pros
-close to home, have support system in place
-met few members of the incoming class, seem pretty cool
-matches really well to NYC programs (not sure if i want that yet)

cons
-H/P/F preclinical
-current students arent the most enthusiastic about the school
-been on long island for a long time, kind of want to branch out
-suburban town

leaning towards UVA, but am on the fence

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I would say SBU. Had like 36% of their class match into a T20, good hospital with (I think) every specialty, and cheaper. I’ve also heard that it’s strictly P/F till the last third of your M1. The support system is also a big +. You won’t miss any opportunity there in my opinion.

Last edited:
I'm a NY resident PTE'd at UVA and recently got off the waitlist at Stony Brook, and many of my pro/cons in making a decision were very similar to yours. I chose to stick with UVA, largely because I have also been in NY my whole life and I'm excited to get to explore a new area. Regarding the match list, my thinking (though I'm definitely not an expert on this by any means) has been that the reason so many UVA students match to the Virginia area is mostly that they were from the area to begin with and want to stay nearby. There are always some students who match to NY or the Northeast in general, so I think that's still possible if that's what you decide you want to do in 4 years. It's definitely a hard decision, so feel free to PM me if you want to talk more!

UVA! People say UVA has some of the happiest students. At interview day, you can see that they treat students well, faculty are warm and friendly, and students have a uniquely good work life balance (a few students were sharing how they even are in local sports clubs or maintain local jobs). It has longtime prestige and is particularly great in the era of step 1 p/f if you have any interest in something competitive or academic down the line. Their research and community service opportunities are also really stellar. I was impressed by the beautiful campus too. Seems like the student body is kind and friendly with an emphasis on wellness. I’d say the money is worth it to join really happy students. Charlottesville also seems fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm on the waitlist for stony and it would be far and away my top choice and I am still going to suggest you stay on with SBU. Viewing their match list, they did incredibly well. Sure UVA will be more competitive almost anywhere, but I think the 80k difference in cost ADDED to the fact that SBU is as good as you can get in the SUNY system and with the support system being nearby. That all makes it a STEAL for you to stay on

Reactions: 1 users
UVA certainly has the more prestige/rank but I was also really impressed by SBU match lists in recent years. Plus you are a NY resident, and you have a support network. However, seems like you want to go to UVA based on vibe. I'd vote UVA.

Reactions: 1 user
I vote stonybrook actually. So much of Med school is what you put in. I actually think stonybrook is the best by state school akin to private NY schools. I would worry less about the Preclinical grading as it is nice to have some friends objective grades since clinical grading is variable. With acceptances to these two schools, you likely will trend towards the top anyways. Stonybrook matches really well!!! UVA May have one to two departments stronger but most are both really good. To match back in nyc region stonybrook will really help! It also is cool to be closer to home especially for preclinical and board study periods. Good luck! Don’t discount stonybrook great name!

I vote stonybrook actually. So much of Med school is what you put in. I actually think stonybrook is the best by state school akin to private NY schools. I would worry less about the Preclinical grading as it is nice to have some friends objective grades since clinical grading is variable. With acceptances to these two schools, you likely will trend towards the top anyways. Stonybrook matches really well!!! UVA May have one to two departments stronger but most are both really good. To match back in nyc region stonybrook will really help! It also is cool to be closer to home especially for preclinical and board study periods. Good luck! Don’t discount stonybrook great name!
Isn't this post from last cycle lol