UVA vs. VCU/MVC

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by caferine, Oct 21, 2002.

1. caferine

caferine Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I need some advice from the wiser, more experienced people out there. I have been through the application process, and I now must decide between UVA and MCV. I know that these schools both have their advantages and disadvantages, but I would like to hear from current students why they chose their school as opposed to the other. Thank you so much for the advice.

Mary

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Suz177

Suz177 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I go to VCU/MCV and I love it here! We have a block schedule which means that about once every two weeks we have a test and are done w/ all our work and get a day or sometimes even a weekend completely off. We only have lecture from 8-12 M-F w/ small groups, reviews, clinical stuff, etc. most afternoons. Speaking of which, that is the best thing here IMHO...early clinical experiences. Every other week I go to my preceptor's office and get to practice the skills I learned in the off weeks. The other thing I like here is that the profs and the students are all pretty friendly and helpful. The biggest downside I've found so far is that Richmond isn't the most exciting city to be in when you actually do have an evening off. PM me if you have any specific q's...I don't know anything at all about UVA, except that it is in a small college town.

4. indigoblue22

indigoblue22 Member
    7+ Year Member

First of all, congratulations on your acceptances!!!

I'm a med student at UVA and I'm really glad I decided to come here. I think both MCV and UVA are great schools (I was deciding between them last year) and they both offer a very strong education. It just depends on what school fits better with you.

I guess the biggest selling points for me about UVA are the location, support systems here, clinical involvement, and research opportunities. I really like Charlottesville - it's a nice college town and I like having the University right here as well. It's a really pretty area and tends to be pretty calm. The academic support systems here are great - professors are really available for help, and there is also free tutoring in the different subjects. We take a Practice of Medicine course where we learn different clinical skills, interview hospital patients, and visit preceptors in (mostly) rural areas. There's a lot of really interesting research going on here (we have Clinical Correlations lectures where physicans come in and make connections between our basic sciences material and their work) and they have a research program for the summer between the first two years.

Sorry for practically writing a novel there, hope it helped!
    My best advice is to visit the schools again if the decision stays tough - sitting in on classes and talking to students can be pretty helpful.

Good luck with your choice! Please feel free to post or PM any questions - if I don't know the answer I can ask around and try to find out.

Congratulations again. :)

5. DrQuinn

DrQuinn My name is Neo
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Here's my two cents... I am a fourth year student applying for residency as we speak (not at either school, but a VA native, and went to college in VA)... so I've been around the block and seen what impact the medical school really has...

If you have to decide between two schools, you need to take just a few things into consideration.
    1) $$$$ If going to one school is $25k a year, versus 10k a year, that should be a no brainer. You will be just as educated at each place, one will not make you a better physician. Go for whatever is cheaper. Obviously, if they're pretty comparable, this goes out the window.
    2) Where do you want to live for 2+ years? Granted some schools may let you do your 3rd year cores somewhere else, but you will likely be in the same area for atleast 3 years. Do you want to live in an urban environment or a suburban/rural college town? I went to FL for medical school. You simply can't beat that... I wanted to experience medical school on the beach...
    3) If you believe you want to go into a more competitive arena of medicine (neurosurg, ortho, optho, etc), then your best bet is to go for the prestige. If you know in your heart that you want to do peds or FP, then it doesn't matter. Going to a nicer school CAN (emphasized CAN and not DOES) help down the road...

The first two years of medical school, which really are the ONLY differences between schools at all, really don't add up to much. You take the same stuff, you are exposed to the same things, you are taught the same way to listen to a heart, etc... once you get near the end of medical school and are applying for residencies, you'll realize that the stuff you worried about in re: to picking the school, or the perceived difference in the schools really amount to very little in the end.

6. MD2b06

MD2b06 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I agree with the above poster. Don't have much to add, except that MCV is a Level 1 trauma center, so you'd get to see and do a lot there. I dunno much about Charlottesville, but I did go to school in a college town, and I don't know if that kind of location would provide me with the best clinical exposure. However, prestige is somewhat important in the residency selection process, and UVa is the more recognized name. They're both good schools, go wherever you're more comfortable. 4 years is a long, long time! Good luck.

7. indigoblue22

indigoblue22 Member
    7+ Year Member

Just wanted to say that I agree with the above posters - try to figure out where you'll be happiest for four years.. it's definitely important to have an environment where you'll be comfortable.

Good luck :)