UVa Waitlist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ribbi_j

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My very first interview way back in September was the lovely little school in Charlottesville, VA. My excitement there was soon tempered, however, by being put on the waitlist a few weeks later. In the ensuing months I have received acceptances to various other schools - however, I would still seriously consider attending if I was bumped off. If my porous memory serves correct, I believe that they said that they tried to not have much of a waitlist (and nobody has listed them on the "official waitlist thread"). Anyone else in my same boat or have an idea what a guy's chances are of coming off this one in particular?

-ribbi_j

Members don't see this ad.

One of my best friends goes to UVA med and was accepted off the waitlist some time in April if my memory serves me correct. My understanding is that UVA maintains a pretty short waitlist (so congrats on interviewing there and being waitlisted at all), but that the waitlist does not show too much movement. That being said, it is still very early, and still very possible, so who knows. UVA and Charlottesville are wonderful though, so I hope you get in.

Yeah, not to be a dumper because I'm not even sure if this means anything, but the % accepted/interviewed thread shows UVa with like a 60% rate, meaning that their waitlist is probably quite small. But this might not mean anything like I said, so feel free to disregard.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the info - this whole process is so emotionally draining. After being waitlisted I tried to block them out of my mind because I was so disappointed. I have started to wonder if things could still work out, although my head is telling my heart to not count on it.

I sure for one will be glad when this is all over with.

no. missouri. that part probably doesn't help either.

hi ribbj
if its any consolation, i think its quite an accomplishment just to get an interview from uva being out of state and all.. i hear their out of state numbers are on the order of the top tiers.. like 3.8, 34ish

RunMimi said:
A friend of mine was waitlisted with better numbers than me (we're both Va residents) and these are good good numbers with a hard double major from a very good school. I was really puzzled. I think they might put a heavy emphasis on ECs. So if you write a letter of interest, you might want to play up your ECs. Just a suggestion?

hi runmimi,
i think i remember seeing your stats a little while back (if im right i beleive you are a cameron crazy...boooo!!!) haha, jk.. anyway with your numbers its hard to beleive your friend got even better than that, but the only sense i can make of it, is that maybe uva sometimes does not accept applicants that it is pretty sure will end up somewhere else? i knew a girl with decent ecs that actually went to uva undergrad had a 3.97, 37 and also got waitlisted there... although it sounds ridiculous thats the only explanation i can think of