UVM "Closer Look" 4/29

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quaileggs

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got my invite in the mail today. Is anyone out there thinking of going?

Members don't see this ad.

do mind posting your stats, and also are you planning on attending?

Oh OK..I haven't even thought about my stats in a while. 3.6 GPA (sci GPA slightly lower), 33 O(12V, 11 PS, 10BS)
I am not sure if I am going.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey quaileggs! So have you finally decided on UVM as your final destination? I too got the invite for the 29th, but I don't think I'll be going. It costs way too much to fly out from Cali to Vermont and at this point in the process, I'm super broke.

Have fun if you do decide to go and let us know how it was

Well, for my interview bunch they said we would find out the last week of April if we were accepted. If I get in, I will definitely go to the closer look weekend, b/c I could just take the bus! But I doubt they would notify me in time if I were accepted. I didn't get a great impression of UVM, so I would really like a second look (esp at the end of April when it is probably beautiful there!)

Hopin' to meet you quaileggs (and get in!) :)

p.s. What kind of stuff do you do on a closer look weekend? 4/29 is a Monday. Do they plan activities to meet with students? How is it different from interview day?

It appears to be somewhat of a full day. Starts at 9 am, with 'presentations and activities designed to help you become better acquainted with the College prior to admission.' They'll discuss Student Services, a lecture w/ 1st year students, and lunch with many students with a reception after class at 3 pm. They'll also go over the integrated curriculum with a tour of the Assessment center and a discussion with a Gross Anatomy lecturer on 1st year students' adjustment.

This is paraphrased from the letter they sent.

I can't believe I found this thread in only three tries. I'm getting good at using my own built in search function. :p

Anyway, I was placed on the alternate list and found out today (the letter was dated 4/22). Now I'm not saying I think I'll get in, but if I do, I would really want to revisit the school, since I don't think I got a fair impression on my interview day. Should I just wait to see if I get in, and try to visit then? I wouldn't want to travel from Florida, since I'm closeby in MA right now. Do you think I should invite myself to the closer look on Monday?
:confused:

Who's going this weekend for sure?

hey dra. foxy and everyone,

i'm new to this sight... i've been a silent reader for much too long...

anyway, i am going the UVM closer look day on monday. i can tell you about it after monday if you decide not to go... in terms of deciding if you should go, i would recommend giving the office a call and ask if you can attend.

Anyone wanna give us a report of how it went?

Hey people!

How's it going? I'm great! Just about to leave Vermont, but wanted to give the update to all of the folks who weren't able to attend the "Closer Look" day. In general, I thought it was a great day. This was UVM's first "Closer Look" day and it was really well done and organized.
First, the dean of admissions and the lecturer of anatomy started out with the welcome and giving a general overview of the medical school. It was a good presentation-- lots of pics of the students, lots of student/faculty events during the fall and spring... really seemed to get a sense of community and they emphasized team-work. Also the lecturer for anatomy was really lively and funny. :)
Then we visited a class, plus met some 1st years... Then a presentation about the new curriculm which will take into effect next year (not this year); so basically it will effect the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th year, but the 1st year will be the old curriculm. They did a good job emphasizing that even though this is a new curriculm, they are really confident and excited about it. Plus they showed us the new standardized patient facility and it was nice.

Then lunch with students from all four years in a panel discussion-- good perspective on the four years... then visited another lecture. Next, we had some of the deans and admins from Student Affairs. And then finally, a short reception with some other 1st year students.

So that was the day... it was a long day with a lot of information, but as I mentioned before, it was well executed and organized. I definitely got a sense of community from both the students and faculty. Also, people in general seem to be really friendly and laid back. In terms of diversity, yeah, it's not as diverse as a big city (i grew up in chicago and go to school in boston) and that was definitely a concern of mine too (also because i'm black and I didn't see too many other underrepresented minorities around), but I think they are really trying to work on that (I had a good conversation with one of the students who is also on the Diversity Committee at UVM).... But it's a great school and i liked the admins, faculty, and people... Also, Montreal and Boston are only short drives away, and for the electives you can go to other cities around the country...

So to wrap up... I haven't made any final decisions on med schools yet, but I would have to say that UVM is definitely one of my top choices. If any of you have any further questions, feel free to send me a message. :) I hope this is helpful. good luck deciding! =-)

Did anyone raise the concern of taking Step 1 of the boards at the end of your third year, 1.5 years after your last basic science class?

About how many people would you say attended today? And more importantly...how many were definitely going to be coming to UVM? Im on the waitlist there which is why Im asking...hehe. Can't call to find out my status till May 1 :-(.

Hey again,

Just to answer your questions...

About taking Step 1, I talked to a couple of students about that and some opt to take it right after the Advanced Basic Sciences and others take it during the Senior Elective period. Either way, the students do really well and feel like they are well-prepared.

At the Closer Look Day, I would say there were about 30-40 students there... most of them from Vermont. People were really positive about it and there were some folks who are going there absolutely, and then others, like myself, who are still deciding.

:)

I dropped my spot at UVM last week (left a message over the phone and sent a letter via regular mail). However, I haven't gotten a withdrawl confirmation yet...Should I be concerned that they haven't received my message/letter? I really liked the school, and I wish I could have made it to the weekend to get more info. But I am a Cali resident, and it just makes more sense to me to stay in California