UVM or Rochester?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iheartsnow

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently taken off the wait list at Rochester and need to decide. I'd appreciate hearing people's impressions of the schools, whether you've just researched them, interviewed there, or are attending.

Burlington obviously has the best location, although the cost of living there is surprisingly high. Rochester seems to have very cheap rent and I like that lots of med students live in the same area. Both have cool curriculums where you get lots of elective time in the third and fourth years. As of right now, Rochester looks like it will be about 10k/year cheaper.

Any opinions are welcome. This is really a great problem to have, but I'm stressing about my decision. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you're going to find that people say to follow the money, especially if the two schools are more or less equal in your mind.

With that said, I'm an incoming first year at Rochester, and have been really really happy with everything I've seen at the school. The housing situation is great, the class is small and close with each other, the curriculum is exactly what I'm looking for, and from what I've seen the faculty is great. True, Rochester isn't NYC, but it really isn't bad at all. Judging from your name, the weather, which seems to be what most people bring up as Rochester's big negative, shouldn't be that much of a problem!

First off, congrats on a great dilemma!

I'm a rising second year at Rochester and I am one who did not follow the money. When it came down to it, I chose Rochester over my cheaper state school. While some people would find this incredibly stupid, I am so glad I didn't listen to them.

So many people will tell you their school has great opportunities, a non-competitive nature, etc... so how can you pick between them? When I was choosing my school, I went based on the communities-- how did the classes get along? How did the faculty/staff interact with the students? Was I okay with the city itself? Rochester was a place that came out with high marks for all of those questions. I have made some great connections in my first year with both my classmates and our faculty members. I truly feel like they are there for me, which is what I wanted in a school. Any school will give you the same 4 year education-- they have to. That's how you get the degree. But, I felt that Rochester would also give me the support I needed to help me get through those 4 years. So far, it has most definitely lived up to (and has passed in many respects) my expectations.

Good luck w/ your choice! Pick somewhere that makes you happy.. 4 years is a long time to not like where you are. Let me know if you have any questions :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Go to UVM. I am on the Rochester waitlist and would love to go there. I am a Rochester native so let me have a chance and go enjoy Burlington haha it's way prettier.

Thanks for the input everyone. My initial reaction was also to follow the money, especially since I would be happy at either school. I just wanted to see if anyone had a compelling case for UVM that I had not considered yet.

Do you think they are equally well regarded by residency programs? I also might want to try something totally different and move to the west coast after med school. Are either of them more well-known out there?

Both are great schools, I loved Rochester, but I've also spent 2 yrs in Burlington and had an awesome time. It's on a huge lake, beautiful area, and TONS of people between 25-35 yrs old. Wish I had your dilemma, but UVM would be my choice... also closer to Montreal!

Status
Not open for further replies.