UVM Secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Homer J. Simpson

1st and goal from the 1 yard line.
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What did any of you applying to UVM do about the 2 "optional" essays?? Did you make up some sort of "special circumstance" to talk about or do you think that it doesn't affect your candidacy one way or the other?

My gut feeling is to leave them blank rather than muster some transparent bull****.

What about the "what have you done...since submitting AMCAS"... It says on their supplement sheet that they only want "significant" stuff. What the hell does that mean?

Members don't see this ad.

If I'm correct in thinking this question is about the University of Vermont, I'll venture to "share" what I did. For what have you been doing since AMCAS, I wrote just that in a conversational way. I talked about what I did this summer post 6/30, such as going to school, continuing to volunteer etc. All in a way that I hope was making me sound like I would fit in in New England. I actually was happy with the way it turned out.
I adapted the other essay from the "diversity" essay I had to write for Pitt ( It's so fun to in effect recycle essays!")
Oh, and it was "fun" trying to figure out the populations of the towns I have lived inat the time I lived there. The majority of places I have lived in have been small towns so hopefully this will play well in Vt. Cheers!

Homer, I pretty much did what quaileggs did for #1 (took about 4 lines). I skipped #2 because I thought the question implied some sort of special circumstances i.e. hardship, illness, etc. that had impacted one's application. I was pretty happy not to HAVE TO write another essay!

For question 1, I just talked about what's been going on, just like they asked. It was only a month, but I still found some things (lab, seminars, TAing) to put in. Number 2, I just compiled a bunch of stuff from other secondaries, mostly stuff I didn't touch on in my AMCAS essay. I figured anything merited special consideration. I guess it worked since they want to see me in person. :eek:

Andrew