UVM (Vermont) vs. SLU (Saint Louis)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gemmymer

Reaction score
Hi Everyone! I feel very lucky to have two great options, and I am hoping for some input. I haven't heard about scholarships/aid yet, so it's hard to figure in money right now.

UVM (Vermont Campus)

Pros
  • Burlington!! Nature, small city, safe, similar to my hometown, feels like home to me
  • Close to family in VT
  • Take Step 1 early (6 weeks of dedicated study time), clinicals start March of year 2 (less time in the classroom!)
  • Good hospital, directly connected to the med school
??
  • all active learning / PBL, no lectures (not sure if this is good or bad)
Cons
  • expensive OOS tuition (before aid/scholarships)
  • low diversity of patient populations
  • harder to find housing
  • fewer job options for my partner
  • harsh winter

SLU

Pros
  • big city = more housing options, jobs, diversity of patients
  • BRAND new hospital
  • less $$ tuition (before aid/scholarships)
  • closer to home, easy flights
  • big emphasis on student wellness / low stress (very important to me, not sure how much emphasis UVM places on this - does anyone know?)
Cons
  • St. Louis is not my most ideal city - I’m a nature / small city person
  • On probation (not sure how this affects things)
  • Jesuit (students say this isn’t a huge deal, but the hospital doesn’t perform abortions, etc.)

At this point, I’m leaning slightly towards UVM but I am in much need of suggestions and opinions! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

If your SO is ok with UVM, I think that may be the move. Sounds like you'd be happier at UVM and that it feels more like home. I would also wait for financial aid packages before making the final decision if you're worried about that aspect. SLU only gives 10k max scholarship (need based) and loans. UVM may be able to give you more.

Reactions: 3 users
If your SO is ok with UVM, I think that may be the move. Sounds like you'd be happier at UVM and that it feels more like home. I would also wait for financial aid packages before making the final decision if you're worried about that aspect. SLU only gives 10k max scholarship (need based) and loans. UVM may be able to give you more.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: 1 user
Hi Everyone! I feel very lucky to have two great options, and I am hoping for some input. I haven't heard about scholarships/aid yet, so it's hard to figure in money right now.

UVM (Vermont Campus)

Pros
  • Burlington!! Nature, small city, safe, similar to my hometown, feels like home to me
  • Close to family in VT
  • Take Step 1 early (6 weeks of dedicated study time), clinicals start March of year 2 (less time in the classroom!)
  • Good hospital, directly connected to the med school
??
  • all active learning / PBL, no lectures (not sure if this is good or bad)
Cons
  • expensive OOS tuition (before aid/scholarships)
  • low diversity of patient populations
  • harder to find housing
  • fewer job options for my partner
  • harsh winter

SLU

Pros
  • big city = more housing options, jobs, diversity of patients
  • BRAND new hospital
  • less $$ tuition (before aid/scholarships)
  • closer to home, easy flights
  • big emphasis on student wellness / low stress (very important to me, not sure how much emphasis UVM places on this - does anyone know?)
Cons
  • St. Louis is not my most ideal city - I’m a nature / small city person
  • On probation (not sure how this affects things)
  • Jesuit (students say this isn’t a huge deal, but the hospital doesn’t perform abortions, etc.)

At this point, I’m leaning slightly towards UVM but I am in much need of suggestions and opinions! Thank you!
SLU's accreditation probation was lifted in October 2018.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm deciding between Vermont and another school as well, I personally really enjoyed my interview at Vermont (and am leaning more towards it), May I ask which campus you decided on for your 3/4 year rotations?

I'm deciding between Vermont and another school as well, I personally really enjoyed my interview at Vermont (and am leaning more towards it), May I ask which campus you decided on for your 3/4 year rotations?

Vermont campus! What about you?

Would love more input, thanks!
Think about your goals. UVM seems to punch above it's weight for residency and you are right the students there are generally happy. However, consider that you will have to do some away rotations in upstate NY and florida during 3rd year. There is good research at UVM, clinical and basic science. Can't comment on SLU

I don’t really know about SLU, so perhaps I’m biased. But I can agree with you that the students at Vermont are some of the happiest that I’ve seen. Definently repost your financial aid packages once received so experts here can help you better gauge the right choice overall.

I can only comment on UVM, but I went to UVM undergrad and I have friends who currently attend UVM's medical school and absolutely love it. I loved UVM and Burlington and only have positive things to say. UVM places a huge emphasis on student wellness and trying to lower stress of students. UVM's population will be significantly less diverse than STL, but it will be more diverse in different ways. Burlington and the surrounding suburbs have a large refugee population and there are unique challenges to being the only major hospital in Vermont (people come from very far to be seen at UVM)

Potential negatives for UVM- there are rotations throughout vermont and potentially upstate NY, harsh winter (be prepared-> I also imagine STL gets their fair share of harsh winter conditions), and less jobs available for your significant other.

But while I have a biased for UVM, it seems from your list of pros/cons that you are more inclined towards SLU (btw I looked up the probation and it seems like the probation was lifted in 2018, but that might be incorrect information). I will also say that if your significant other is going to be the bread winner it might make more sense to go to SLU so there are ample job opportunities for your partner.

I hope this helps a little!

Think about your goals. UVM seems to punch above it's weight for residency and you are right the students there are generally happy. However, consider that you will have to do some away rotations in upstate NY and florida during 3rd year. There is good research at UVM, clinical and basic science. Can't comment on SLU

Can you comment a bit more about the away rotations during third year?

A few comments based on what I've seen here:

There are plenty of nature things to do around STL. There is certainly less of a culture of it there than in VT, but if you are ok with the hot summers then you will find plenty to do.

Summers in STL are hot. People in New England complain about heat when it gets to like 86 (then again, my experience on New England has been that there is always complaining with the weather except for 6 weeks during the early fall when everyone loves it). 95+ degrees and humid AF is normal in Missouri summers, just fyi. Above 100 is pretty common. Winters in STL are relatively mild, especially compared to VT. There is still definitely a winter season with the occasional ice storm, but it doesn't compare to VT at all. One major difference is that there is more daylight in the winter in MO.

STL doesn't feel like a huge city IMO. It's not as small as Burlington, but it's definitely a midsized city with some Midwestern quirks and a healthy dose of French and Italian culture. Midwestern cities tend to be much more open and friendly than cities on either coast in my experience.

I can't speak for Burlington here, but STL is also a fairly affordable city to live in. STL is relatively high on the list of cities where I would be interested in settling down when my career gets started.

I've known people who have had good and bad experiences at both schools, so you'll have to decide which culture fits you better and where you think you'll be able to be happier and thrive for 4 years.

TL;DR

STL is a better place to live than a lot of people give it credit for, though it has some idiosyncrasies. My experience with VT and the people I know who have lived in Burlington mostly love it as well.

Hi! I'm actually trying to make the same exact decision myself. I'm a SLU undergrad and am between UVM and SLUMed. On one hand, I've loved being in STL for the past four years and it's also more affordable, but on the other hand UVM is closer to home with interesting rotations in Connecticut. There is also a large refugee population in STL (Bosnian). Currently I'm leaning towards UVM mainly because of location and research.

Hi! I'm actually trying to make the same exact decision myself. I'm a SLU undergrad and am between UVM and SLUMed. On one hand, I've loved being in STL for the past four years and it's also more affordable, but on the other hand UVM is closer to home with interesting rotations in Connecticut. There is also a large refugee population in STL (Bosnian). Currently I'm leaning towards UVM mainly because of location and research.

Glad someone is in the same position!! Also currently leaning towards UVM so maybe I’ll see you there!

Given the STEP 1 change, is one of these school ranked higher / more well regarded than the other?