UVM vs Georgetown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UVM or Georgetown?

• University of Vermont

Votes: 23 47.9%
  • Georgetown

Votes: 25 52.1%

• Total voters

Ja3ger

The Red Viper
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
OOS at UVM. Aid/scholarships are not in the picture yet.

Which would you choose and why?

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed at both last year. I honestly liked UVM more and felt a better personal fit, but Georgetown seems to fare better in the match.

I interviewed at both last year. I honestly liked UVM more and felt a better personal fit, but Georgetown seems to fare better in the match.
My thoughts exactly. Do you think GT's student body was somewhat unhappy or competitive, relatively speaking? Also, which do you think you would have chosen?

Members don't see this ad :)
Bump. Surprised that it's 50/50. Any other opinions?

Honestly the grading system at Georgetown kind of kills it for me. Not only having to worry about grades, but a competitive scale at that? No thanks. Also throwing in about 200 SMP students in a lot of your classes isn't exactly ideal for me either. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd rather live in Burlington 1000x more than in DC.

My thoughts exactly. Do you think GT's student body was somewhat unhappy or competitive, relatively speaking? Also, which do you think you would have chosen?

I probably would've chosen Georgetown. I hear their student body is full of gunners, but it's hard to judge just based on an interview day. IMO student body population doesn't influence you too much as a medical student. It's pretty similar to high school... you'll have a small groups of friends, a small group of people you can't stand, and everyone else will fall somewhere in the middle. I think you will experience this no matter the school.

Reactions: 1 users
I probably would've chosen Georgetown. I hear their student body is full of gunners, but it's hard to judge just based on an interview day. IMO student body population doesn't influence you too much as a medical student. It's pretty similar to high school... you'll have a small groups of friends, a small group of people you can't stand, and everyone else will fall somewhere in the middle. I think you will experience this no matter the school.
Thanks, that's a good point. Do you the think the grading system (of any school) has a significant effect, or is it just as insignificant as student body population?

Many medical students have told me that a pass/fail curriculum is a good thing while in med school. It creates a collaborative environment, which is nice IMO.

Burlington is one of the coolest towns in the country. DC is a hell hole.
Ahh thats unfair.

Burlington is a small town. DC is actually a city, and like any other city it has it's good and bad parts. And the Georgetown area is pretty nice but expensive as hell as opposed to the Howard area, which is not so nice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ahh thats unfair.

Burlington is a small town. DC is actually a city, and like any other city it has it's good and bad parts. And the Georgetown area is pretty nice but expensive as hell as opposed to the Howard area, which is not so nice.

Burlington's more of a large town/small city.

Many medical students have told me that a pass/fail curriculum is a good thing while in med school. It creates a collaborative environment, which is nice IMO.

I have heard this as well. At the same time, I have also heard that it doesn't matter much because even most P/F schools internally rank (I think), let alone the fact that preclinical grades are generally considered one the least important factors for residency (I think). There must be some other factor that contributes to the level of stress/competition as I've visited a couple non-P/F schools with extremely cooperative/happy students.

what's your take on Burlington vs Washington DC?

I love Burlington, and it's not too far from a huge support network. I've never been to DC, but I'm excited about the idea of living in the nation's capital - in a nice part of DC, at that.

Burlington is one of the coolest towns in the country. DC is a hell hole.
Why?

Hey, I don't know if you are still thinking about either school but as a GT 4th year I would definitely recommend it. I did not interview at VM so I have no idea what it's like. Everyone always seems to think GT is malignant or super competitive but honestly it's a non-issue. My first two years were spent studying in a group where we pushed eachother but all wanted each other to succeed. We do work hard but we also score really well on our STEP 1/2 and have a really amazing match especially considering we are a "middle of the road" medical school. DC is a great city and fun to live in as a 20-30 year old. If you are very interested in primary care then VM may better suit you as I have heard it is a large focus of what they do. At georgetown we place a lot of people into specialities namely ortho, anesthesia, and radiology (though all specialties are represented).

I would choose UVM. But that's me. The school you should choose is the one with the best combo of cost/location/which school you like more.

Hey, I'm deciding between these two schools too and then a much cheaper (unranked and new) state school. Does anybody know what UVM and GT's reputations are like in the medical community? GT has an amazing undergrad and law school and UVM is really ranked well, but it seems like GT has the better reputation? Or is this really a non-issue...

UVM gets a lot of praise on these forums, and rightfully so. It is a very tech savy school and located in a clean and beautiful environment. The only bad thing about UVM is the cost and long winters. Tough choice Op

Neither will give you a significant advantage over the other when applying to residency. Consider cost, preferred location, and gut feeling.

GT has a very good reputation (not T25 level but its higher than its US News ranking would indicate).