UVM vs VCU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

charju

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm down to these two schools (have ~1week to decide if I want to hold VCU instead of UVM). In terms of school and general atmosphere, I think I definitely liked UVM more. The cost is about the same after 4 years (I'm OOS for both). What VCU did win out on though was how it seemed to have a larger campus, more students, and probably more activities. I'm leaning towards UVM but would like to get some extra information before I give up either school.

I was wondering if anyone can help comment on the grading system at each school? I know they all have some sort of pass/fail but I wasn't sure if there was like the honors, high pass, pass, fail at either school..

Also, since UVM has a 1.5 year pre-clinical year, does that actually cut into the vacation time for the students? (i.e. the one and last summer seemed shorter on the curriculum, but I wasn't sure) I know UVM starts on 8/6, which seemed to be a week earlier than most schools... How would people compare the UVM and VCU curriculum?

also feel free to chime in if you have any other comments regarding either schools please!

thanks to anyone in advance ! =D

Members don't see this ad.

VCU all the way!

Sincerely,

UVM OOS Waitlister

I know nothing about UVM but I can tell you a bit about VCU. The classes are P/F and there are no levels such as a High pass, honors, etc. However, there is a ranking system that the students do all seem to be aware of. After each test the students get a distribution curve along with their scores that gives an idea of where you would be in the class. As far as I know, the rankings are used for AOA and eventually for recommendations but you are never actually told where you stand.

Additionally, I think VCU also starts in the first week of August. Both are really good schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Basing a decision on stuff like school year start date is, umm, dumb.

None of the questions you have asked matter one damn bit.

Base your decision on $, location, and school "fit" or how you felt about the place. All the other stuff is trivial and inconsequential.

chill.. i never said I was basing it on start date.. I was just looking for more information overall. I think it's quite obvious at this point from my original post that I'm leaning to UVM...

chill.. i never said I was basing it on start date.. I was just looking for more information overall. I think it's quite obvious at this point from my original post that I'm leaning to UVM...

Why are you learning toward UVM? They are pretty much equals as far as ranking and such goes. It's largely about feel at this point and what is important to you.

Why are you learning toward UVM? They are pretty much equals as far as ranking and such goes. It's largely about feel at this point and what is important to you.

This is exactly my point, only said less bluntly.

OP, is any of this sinking in? At this point, it really is about feel and fit, assuming that $ and location are more or less equal. Grading systems, and the impact of start dates and pre-clinical schedules on vacation time, are really trivial considerations.

Having said that, my experience at a 1.5 yr preclinical school is that opportunities for vacation time are plentiful. I haven't taken any time off, but I have classmates who have, even during the core rotation year. But I would not base my choice of school on this factor, nor would I recommend anyone else do it, either.

Focus on the big factors, not the minutiae.

Status
Not open for further replies.