UW and CCSSA score disparity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Metaform

Fellow, Hematology/Oncology
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My UW average is 70% but I took my first nbme CCSSA today, form 1 and tanked, it said I'd get a 179 which is pathetic..

I was doing well in UW, but now with such a low NBME score I'm not so confident. I've never scored this low for step 1. I'm baffled. Anyone else get results like with this much disparity?

Members don't see this ad.

My UW average is 70% but I took my first nbme CCSSA today, form 1 and tanked, it said I'd get a 179 which is pathetic..

I was doing well in UW, but now with such a low NBME score I'm not so confident. I've never scored this low for step 1. I'm baffled. Anyone else get results like with this much disparity?

The two tests are a bit different. Make sure you are taking both exams under the same conditions, timed and straight without referring to answers along the way. That's the only way you can get meaningful comparisons.

Metaform the same thing actually happened to me recently and I am interested to know how the actual Step 2 turned out for you. I was doing relatively well on UWorld and decent on my shelves and then STEP 2 for CCSSA estimated my score to a 177 which was very surprising. How did the real test turn out for you?

Members don't see this ad :)
Metaform the same thing actually happened to me recently and I am interested to know how the actual Step 2 turned out for you. I was doing relatively well on UWorld and decent on my shelves and then STEP 2 for CCSSA estimated my score to a 177 which was very surprising. How did the real test turn out for you?

I was freaked out before the exam because I scored a 200 on CCSSA 4 (1 week before exam) and 207 on CCSSA 2 (4 to 5 days before the exam). I went on all the forums and most people said that the CCSSA was indicative of how one would perform on the real exam. Then I took UWorld Self Assessment two days before the exam and received a 234. I went on the forums and a lot of people said that UWSA overestimates. I ended up getting a 227 (81) on the real thing.

In my experience - unless you have test anxiety - count on scoring somewhere between your best CCSSA (mine 207) and your UWSA (mine 234). Again, real score 227. I don't consider myself to be an anomaly either. I know the information. I just tend to not be the best exam taker, because I am off-the-wall ADHD and over-think most questions.

You are definitely not alone. I'm in a very similar situation.

Avg of my last 6 random, timed, unused blocks on UWorld = 61%
UWSA (2 weeks ago) = 190
NBME 4 (1 week ago) = 174
NBME 2 (2 days ago) = 172

I was scheduled to take Step2CK on July 19, but I just pushed it out to August 24. I'm completely confused. I know 61% isn't great, and I'm not expecting to blow the exam out of the water. But I was expecting to be able to pass! Especially since I comfortable passed all of my shelf exams this year.

So Im scheduled for Aug 18.

I dont know how these guys blow these NBMEs out of the water with scores like 650/265+.

I took UWSA1 last week, which was promising. I took NBME 4 (expanded feedback) today. I must admit I had trouble keeping pace with the exam. I had to re-read a few stems b/c I was just like wtf are they talkin bout..

Anyways It predicted a whopping low of 360/197. I would pass the exam by just 1 point per the NBME... However when I reviewed their esteemed feedback with all those stupid bars. I noticed that out 184 questions total, I got 51 wrong. And they happened to be simple ones about behavioral/psych and others that I didnt pick up on some clues.

Please bear with me, and yes I know I suck at math.

That means on average, I got 33/46 (72%) right on each block. To adjust for the actual ck exam of 44 questions per block, that's equivalent of getting 31/44 questions right? Now for some perspective if you get 30 right on each block on average, x8 blocks= 240... :wtf: A score which Id be very happy with.

So if 33/46 got me 360, does that mean the super geniuses on SDN only get 1 or 2 questions wrong per block? Even if I was that smart, I'd get more wrong just out of sheer boredom of reading some of these drawn out question stems.

To be honest, I'm at a point where I'm just sick of this ****. I know I won't fail, so whatever these UWSAs or NBMEs say, its goin down on August 18th.

@sosarah I was supposed to take it on July 19 as well :D , but my NBME 1 score scared the ****s out of me.

Last edited:
Is the CCSSA the same as the CCSE exam that schools can administer through the NBME?

My school offered an administration of CCSE for free and I took that. I was happy with my score 3 weeks out (213- would love 225+ on real thing) but have been to scared to take any other practice tests. I am averaging around 61% on UW and have 15% left to complete it. My exam is July 18th...

Sure hope my score comes up on the real deal. I am going to finish UW and do some of the missed questions but really focus mostly on reviewing IM topics that I struggle with (I'm like 40th percentile on IM but 80th on Peds/OB/Surg for some reason) and maybe finish Secrets.

Clinical Science Self Assessment is Step 2.

Clinical Medicine Self Assessment is Step 3.

So, as long as it is a CS and not CM, you should be ok.

Yes, I bought and took the Step 3 exam before I realized that. I took the expanded feedback CSSA for form 4 the day after and did very well. (One of those people noted how you don't know how they do it, which I don't know either honestly.) Few weeks later I then took one of the older CSSA forms and made tons of careless mistakes and dropped just over 20 points.

UWSA was random and 9 points below my form 4. I took the test without warmup questions and it was obvious when reviewing, because the first two blocks were all my stupid mistakes.

I don't know how well these correlate. If NBME underestimates and UWSA overestimates, then I will officially be confused since I did better on the NBME one.

NBMEs consistently underestimated my score for Step 1, and by the end the last one underestimated it by 22 points. IMO UWSA>NBME. Idk if I'm the only one but I think I have a problem with the way NBME questions are worded. Sometimes I fail to 'see' the question, and im like ok wtf are you asking me...