UW-Madison c/o 2023 hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This might be a dumb question but for the additional experience (not related to vet/animal experience) can we write about continuing experience? I don't know if the "Note: If you are continuing your experience at a clinic or place of employment, please update the number of hours and any additional duties acquired." pertains to the other types of experiences or just to the animal related question. Thanks!
These portions I believe are like the experience section of vmcas

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
This might be a dumb question but for the additional experience (not related to vet/animal experience) can we write about continuing experience? I don't know if the "Note: If you are continuing your experience at a clinic or place of employment, please update the number of hours and any additional duties acquired." pertains to the other types of experiences or just to the animal related question. Thanks!

I would! If you have more experience in either I think it’s important to note it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I definitely would. It shows you didn’t just drop that experience cold turkey after you submitted and that you continued with it.

Talked to Wisconsin they said to fill the experience out like a resume. Like..continued working at Clinic A
- 20hrs etc

Just submitted supplemental and the confirmation message says you should hear something by March. MARCH?! Sorry I think I'll die from cardiac stress by then :arghh:

Reactions: 5 users
Just submitted supplemental and the confirmation message says you should hear something by March. MARCH?! Sorry I think I'll die from cardiac stress by then :arghh:

Well let’s think of it like this...it says “by the end of March” which means it’s a possibility that we will find out before!

(We probably won’t but that thought process keeps me sane)

Reactions: 2 users
Im almost done with it as my barn boss was in the hospital so ive been manning the barn and caring for her horses.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm confused about the diversity essay. They ask if you're from an underrepresented background and then give you 4000 characters to explain? What are they looking for?

I'm confused about the diversity essay. They ask if you're from an underrepresented background and then give you 4000 characters to explain? What are they looking for?

I think they want to know your background and for you to explain how it is underrepresented.

I wrote a couple sentences on how my ethnicity is underrepresented in the US and in the Veterinary field. It’s not really 4000 characters needed to explain that honestly....

I used ethnicity but I’m sure you can use other demographics...

Last edited:
For our experience are we adding details such as what we did?

For a new experience I had, I decided to limit my description it to the 400 characters/experience that the VMCAS allotted. For continuing experiences I just wrote 1 bullet point for updating the total number of hours and 1 more saying the experience stayed the same.

so for this do they want us to state hours that we have done after the Sep VMCAS deadline? like if i added my hours on VMCAS and set the end date as "Continuing" is that what theyre looking for? Even if its more hours with the clinic I already listed on my application?

I TA'd for intro to animal sciences lab and im wondering if that goes under animal or other/additional? I did a lot of hands on animal teaching.

i did that too i put it under animal on my application
Thanks, I know Iowa counts it as that. I am also teaching part of an ag law enforcement extension course with hands on animal experience so I will most likely put that under animal as well.

I wrote a couple sentences on how my ethnicity is underrepresented in the US and in the Veterinary field. It’s not really 4000 characters needed to explain that honestly....

Same! I wrote about 4 or 5 sentences. I didn't think 4,000 characters was really all that necessary to explain my ethnicity.

Same! I wrote about 4 or 5 sentences. I didn't think 4,000 characters was really all that necessary to explain my ethnicity.
I wrote a 4,000 character essay on my experience, background, and gender identity ( Im transgender and lgbt). I've had a lot of varied experience from extension work to dressing up as superheroes for sick kids.

I figured this was the best I could do as UW-M does not interview.

I wrote a 4,000 character essay on my experience, background, and gender identity ( Im transgender and lgbt). I've had a lot of varied experience from extension work to dressing up as superheroes for sick kids.

That’s awesome! We just had a big LGBTQ charity event, it’s a big tradition here. It was probably my favorite thing the school has done. Several students and faculty perform in drag at a nightclub with some professional drag queens and we raise money for LGBTQ youth. It was probably the most supportive and amazing space I’ve ever been in.

Your diversity essay will definitely be appreciated here!

Reactions: 1 users

That's amazing! My diversity essay was around 3,500 characters. There was another 4,000 character essay with the following prompt: "Do you come from an underrepresented ethnic background? If yes, please explain." That is the one I wrote the 4-5 sentences about.

That's amazing! My diversity essay was around 3,500 characters. There was another 4,000 character essay with the following prompt: "Do you come from an underrepresented ethnic background? If yes, please explain." That is the one I wrote the 4-5 sentences about.

Same! I wrote 3000-3500 characters on the diversity essay, but for the “underrepresented background” question I wrote about 3-4 sentences.

Did anyone talk about diversity of experiences as well for that essay? I'm writing about personal LGBT issues, but the prompt also asks about unique work and volunteer experiences.

Did anyone talk about diversity of experiences as well for that essay? I'm writing about personal LGBT issues, but the prompt also asks about unique work and volunteer experiences.

I didn’t because I don’t have any unique experience but if you do, you definitely should!

Talked to Wisconsin they said to fill the experience out like a resume. Like..continued working at Clinic A
- 20hrs etc

Well I answered it in paragraph form because I had no idea they wanted a resume format. :smack: Oh well, I hope they like my essays!

Well I answered it in paragraph form because I had no idea they wanted a resume format. :smack: Oh well, I hope they like my essays!
I did too, oh well! It's out there and there isn't anything we can do about it now!

Good luck everyone. :)

I did both mostly work, low income, experience, charity work and then lgbt at the end.

So im glad they asked that question because thats what I wrote when UF asked about diversity. I said my intro to Ansci students and careers in ag students who are pre-vet do not represent the ethnic or racial makeup of any of your classes. Im hoping that doesn't bite me in the behind but it's what I see. I try and mentor those kids and push them to not give up.

@johnnaboo wisc goes through a lot of their waitlist right? Is that because they give notifications so late? Im just trying to see how oos students fair on that end.

@johnnaboo wisc goes through a lot of their waitlist right? Is that because they give notifications so late? Im just trying to see how oos students fair on that end.
I know you didn't ask me and
I don't know specifics here but generalized info is that many universities "overaccept"-they offer many more acceptances than are spots available as they anticipate such number of people to deny. If a school does this to a lesser extent they move through more people. Having a big OOS class size contributes at some schools too

Every cycle is different, but yes, they’ve gone thru a lot of their waitlist the past 2 years for OOS. 2 years ago I think they went thru like #160. Last year I was originally #174 and I was not the last one called (got the call in late May). I’m not sure why they do notifications so late.

Every cycle is different, but yes, they’ve gone thru a lot of their waitlist the past 2 years for OOS. 2 years ago I think they went thru like #160. Last year I was originally #174 and I was not the last one called (got the call in late May). I’m not sure why they do notifications so late.
Im kind of glad they do, but I wish the applicant numbers were lower this cycle at most places. UF had 1800 applicants!

Im kind of glad they do, but I wish the applicant numbers were lower this cycle at most places. UF had 1800 applicants!
UF had 1800 applicants? Did it say that in your email? Mine said they received over 1000, but I didn't realize they received 1800. That is quite a bit of an increase from last year!

UF had 1800 applicants? Did it say that in your email? Mine said they received over 1000, but I didn't realize they received 1800. That is quite a bit of an increase from last year!
I heard from a vet who was speaking at our short course.

*bangs pots and pans* Stay alert! March is coming...also don't forget to let UW-M know if you go elsewhere so they can take you off their list/consideration.

*bangs pots and pans* Stay alert! March is coming...also don't forget to let UW-M know if you go elsewhere so they can take you off their list/consideration.

We could hear back sooner than March? Last year, some OOS applicants heard back about acceptances on Feb 8th.

We could hear back sooner than March? Last year, some OOS applicants heard back about acceptances on Feb 8th.
They did?! That would be nice. I'm hoping that if people inform them if they accepted elsewhere things may go faster and the pool of applicants a little less full. UW and ISU are pretty late in the cycle for invites/ waitlist etc.

I generally don't recommend people taking themselves out of contention if accepted elsewhere as people never know if scholarships will be offered to offset cost differences between schools. You never know which school will truly be the best option until all offers are in. :)

Reactions: 8 users
Whew!!! This is excitingly nerve wrecking !

Whew!!! This is excitingly nerve wrecking !
Tell me about it...im sitting on 3 rejections. Two were mostly because a crap ton of people applied to the schools and it was a numbers game. One was due to it being UF and it was a long shot even as my IS due to them averaging grades.

Im just hoping for some good news ive still got 3 applications out.

Tell me about it...im sitting on 3 rejections. Two were mostly because a crap ton of people applied to the schools and it was a numbers game. One was due to it being UF and it was a long shot even as my IS due to them averaging grades.

Yeah, I’m in a similar boat! Check your direct messages!

Same situation too. Hoping for some good news soon!