UW-Madison c/o 2023 hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Calm down y'all these are early folks as said above these are special circumstance people.
My mom says I’m special. I’d like to receive a phone call now. :angelic:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you mean special as in the people who already received calls were at the top candidates?

They called me earlier today and I was told not everyone will get a call only a select few! I think possibly they are calling those who are oos that they really want but are worried may choose another school due to being oos. I was told I was called because they really liked that I want to be a production animal vet and was assured that I would get an amazing livestock education at UW–Madison and to please consider them. So don’t worry if you don’t get a call there could still be an acceptance letter coming!

Reactions: 1 user
They called me earlier today and I was told not everyone will get a call only a select few! I think possibly they are calling those who are oos that they really want but are worried may choose another school due to being oos. I was told I was called because they really liked that I want to be a production animal vet and was assured that I would get an amazing livestock education at UW–Madison and to please consider them. So don’t worry if you don’t get a call there could still be an acceptance letter coming!

This could be. I received a call from a faculty member who shared my specific interest, particularly conservation medicine. Basically told me he had read my application and wanted to make sure I had a contact at the school before official letters were received so I can start looking into the school. Then offered to set up some off campus tours on or around the open house day of local associated/related facilities. It was very cool and I'll definitely make time to go check it out now.

For anyone out there losing hope, I was rejected from both of my original top schools. Don't get discouraged

Reactions: 6 users
I put production/equine so this is a good sign :) *knocks on wood*

Reactions: 1 users
This could be. I received a call from a faculty member who shared my specific interest, particularly conservation medicine. Basically told me he had read my application and wanted to make sure I had a contact at the school before official letters were received so I can start looking into the school. Then offered to set up some off campus tours on or around the open house day of local associated/related facilities. It was very cool and I'll definitely make time to go check it out now.

For anyone out there losing hope, I was rejected from both of my original top schools. Don't get discouraged

Hi there. Congrats on the acceptance! I am also interested in conservation medicine. I got a call today, but I didn't get any contacts. Would you be willing to send me a message with some of the places the faculty member suggested you visit? I'd love to look into them. Thanks!

Hi there. Congrats on the acceptance! I am also interested in conservation medicine. I got a call today, but I didn't get any contacts. Would you be willing to send me a message with some of the places the faculty member suggested you visit? I'd love to look into them. Thanks!

Same here! Received a call from an admission committee member but no contacts. I am into lab animal medicine. I would love to check out the area on the open house day as well. Would any of you be willing to share some places to visit? Thanks!!

Congrats to everyone who received acceptance! For people that are still waiting, don't lose hope. We all are special in our own way!!!

He didn't give me the places or contacts over the phone besides his own. He was mostly saying he'd provide me with some additional info if I was coming to the open house or otherwise visiting the school. But if I get any more info I'll be sure to let you know. I haven't heard too much about UW's conservation/wildlife opportunities.

He didn't give me the places or contacts over the phone besides his own. He was mostly saying he'd provide me with some additional info if I was coming to the open house or otherwise visiting the school. But if I get any more info I'll be sure to let you know. I haven't heard too much about UW's conservation/wildlife opportunities.
I can't speak too much for UW's actual conservation/wildlife programs, but I did go here for undergrad and the Dane County Humane Society's Wildlife Center is fantastic and a great way to get involved! The UW Special Species department also does rounds there weekly. It's a great place to get involved/volunteer/intern and I know many students in the vet school who have done so.

If anybody has any general questions about Madison, please let me know!

I am in the SVM class of 2022 and was accepted OOS off of the waitlist, after being rejected from my IS school. If anybody has any questions, about literally anything, feel free to reach out.
To throw my own little plug in: as you are accepted and decide to join our amazing community you will have to eventually begin the fun search for Madison housing. One tip is that you can reach out to the school and they have a list of people (like me!) who are looking for roommates!
Good luck, and I hope to meet you all next year!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in the SVM class of 2022 and was accepted OOS off of the waitlist, after being rejected from my IS school. If anybody has any questions, about literally anything, feel free to reach out.
To throw my own little plug in: as you are accepted and decide to join our amazing community you will have to eventually begin the fun search for Madison housing. One tip is that you can reach out to the school and they have a list of people (like me!) who are looking for roommates!
Good luck, and I hope to meet you all next year!
My friend is also looking for a roomate and it's one of the reasons im hoping im accepted.

HOLY CRAP HOLY CRAP I AM IN SHOCK I just got a call from a professor in the vet school saying I got in!!! I am OOS and they said they put out letters in the mail today, so I think you can expect them Monday!

Reactions: 8 users
I am not feeling confident...

Reactions: 4 users
Why do they torture us like this? Can’t they email everyone at once? Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted so far! Good luck to the rest of us still waiting.

Why do they torture us like this? Can’t they email everyone at once? Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted so far! Good luck to the rest of us still waiting.

That’s the same thing I’m wondering! Maybe they want to keep it old school? Lol

You think you guys are being tortured? I advise you all to read the last week or so of the NCSU CVM thread. THAT is torture. I didn’t even apply there and it made me anxious.

But yea this seems torturous as well.

Im starting to feel bad about this :(
Don't lose hope, from everything I've heard, they don't call all of the OOS people that they accept. They also seem to go through quite a lot of the waitlist depending on the year and it's nice that they rank it. Keep your head up, I am hoping for good news for you all on Monday!

Reactions: 2 users
I'll let you all know when I get my letter! I'm IS, so I'm assuming I'll get it relatively quickly.

I hope the letter makes it to Canada next week. I’d appreciate anyone posting their location once they’ve received a letter! Someone should tell NORAD to track vet school admissions letters

• Haha
Nice! What were your stats, If you don’t mind me asking?

Sorry for such a delayed response. Undergrad sci was 3.8, last 45 of undergrad around 3.9ish, grad school 4.0, GRE quant and verb 161, just over 800 vet exp hours, thousands of research hours. I'm non traditional, in my late 20s. I am reeeeeeally interested in shelter med, so if anyone currently attending here has any insight on opportunities in that area, I would LOVE to hear about them

Reactions: 3 users
Sorry for such a delayed response. Undergrad sci was 3.8, last 45 of undergrad around 3.9ish, grad school 4.0, GRE quant and verb 161, just over 800 vet exp hours, thousands of research hours. I'm non traditional, in my late 20s. I am reeeeeeally interested in shelter med, so if anyone currently attending here has any insight on opportunities in that area, I would LOVE to hear about them
shelter med is what I am really interested in as well!! I am in state and dont know if I've even been accepted yet, but would also still like to hear about any opportunities too!

Dane County Humane Society is the main shelter in Madison. It's the one that UW works with. They're always looking for volunteers and have job openings. The website is giveshelter.org

Dane County Humane Society is the main shelter in Madison. It's the one that UW works with. They're always looking for volunteers and have job openings. The website is giveshelter.org
Yes, and to piggyback on this, I would definitely recommend getting involved in their Spay Days! They’re held around once per month and veterinary students get to do a lot of the prep, etc.

Congrats all! OOS acceptance via phone on Thursday, 2/7. One of the profs on the committee called around 6:30 PM ET! Said letters were coming soon.

Congrats all! OOS acceptance via phone on Thursday, 2/7. One of the profs on the committee called around 6:30 PM ET! Said letters were coming soon.
I am in state. Do you know if he meant specifically OOS letters have gone out or all of them? lol i keep seeing so much about OOS and us in staters know nothing hahah

I am in state. Do you know if he meant specifically OOS letters have gone out or all of them? lol i keep seeing so much about OOS and us in staters know nothing hahah
I think they all go out on the same day, but don’t hold me to it

:/ this wait is killing me im planning next cycle already just in case because im just nervous as hell.

What do you want to bet we get decisions for UWM and ISU the same day? :nailbiting:
I may spend that day hugging a horse for stress relief. His name is rio and hes not mine but I work to ride him. #emotionalsupporthorseftw

So all decisions will be by mail and not email?

Ahhhh, I'm in the same boat with my IS!! So frustrating, hang in there! The doc who called said he'd email me, but I haven't gotten anything yet. I can ask in response to that email when it comes through and let you know what he says. Good luck!

This whole thing is giving me so much anxiety that I just had an Inception-level dream. I was sleeping on a couch and woke up to find a letter on my porch from Wisconsin. It only had one sentence on it - something like "Thank you for applying, but we cannot offer you a seat this year." I was so sad! And THEN I woke up on the couch AGAIN. I was wondering, was that real? What is real??? So I glance over to see if there was actually a letter, and lo and behold, there's the letter. But this time, it said that I was on the IS waitlist as #46! But that confused me even more because I'm OOS! I'm from California! And then I got pissed because I thought that they had moved me to the IS waitlist for whatever reason, and I know that less people get taken from the IS waitlist. And THEN I woke up... in my bed... today on a Sunday when there is no mail. Someone just kill me already!

After spending all night tonight helping treat colic and being covered in mineral oil I really hope for good news...

After spending all night tonight helping treat colic and being covered in mineral oil I really hope for good news...

That sounds absolutely delightful! We have a parvo puppy at work and it sucks! It's too early for parvo!!!!!

I’m OOS. Sucks that I’m not going to be home till next week so gonna try to get someone that home to open it for me
That would kill me! I already have so much anxiety waiting for it and I should be home when it gets here.

Its informed delivery and yeah my permanent address is not my current so I dont know If I got one

I just signed up. But I don’t see anything from UW-M

Does it show you any other mail? Hmm maybe it’s coming tomorrow for you

Yeah It does. I started forwarding mail on 2/1, maybe it’s a delay because of that? Or maybe since my last name starts with an N maybe they haven’t gotten to that part of the alphabet lol idkkkkkk