UW-Madison c/o 2023 hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wish they'd ups'd it because usps in my area of florida is just sad. Central florida is pretty dang good.

Yes! In Texas too! Especially central Texas!

Members don't see this ad.

Do not fret my friends, I was OOS waitlisted at #184 last year and was called off of the waitlist at the end of May.

Reactions: 5 users
I feel like I’m holding out hope to be ultimately disappointed.

Do you know if Wisconsin will continue to update you? Will it be silence until after April and everyone paid their deposit?
Nope, they emailed me every few weeks after the April deadline (and even once before the deadline I think) to keep me updated. You can also always call OAA (office of academic affairs) and inquire your number on the waitlist.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like I’m holding out hope to be ultimately disappointed.

Do you know if Wisconsin will continue to update you? Will it be silence until after April and everyone paid their deposit?
You can call and get updates on your waitlist status. I waited until after decision day to start calling, under the assumption the list wouldn't move much before then, but it had moved a lot already.

Reactions: 1 user
OOS alternate #219. I've been accepted to a few other schools so far, so I will be removing myself off the waitlist (I'm pretty far down there, so I feel like it wont really help anyone that much). Congrats to everyone accepted and good luck to everyone on the waitlist! Good things come to those who wait! :love::luck:

Yes! In Texas too! Especially central Texas!

I'm in Houston, so that's probably why I got my letter today.

Any OOS waitlisted people willing to share their stats? Might as well stress myself out some more while I wait for my letter that hopefully didn’t get wedged between the seats of my mailman’s van.

cGPA: 3.67
sGPA: 3.76
Last 45 GPA: 3.85

GRE: 156V/156Q/4.0A

When I submitted my VMCAS app, I had ~400 hours of vet experience. I mentioned on my supplemental application that I've been working part-time as a veterinary assistant since then. I've also been working on a certified veterinary assistant program (paid for by my employer), so that probably helped.

OOS rejection, my GPA is on the lower end (3.45) but I have about two thousand of hours in veterinary/animal experience /research...so I guess they care more about GPA in my case :) congrats to everyone who was accepted! I’m hoping for some good news from other schools

IS acceptance letter today!

I'm a nontrad applicant with a ton of mostly nontraditional types of vet experience (i.e. not much clinic/shadowing); primary interest is in policy/agricultural aspects of the veterinary field. :)

cGPA: 3.53
sGPA: 3.53
last 30: ~3.9

GRE: 167/159/5.5

OOS rejection! Good luck to everyone else :)

Letter on informed delivery...trying to stay neutral because gpa seems to be higher than exp in accepted/waitlist.

I got my letter in the mail yesterday (I'm currently in Iowa). OOS waitlisted #107. Good luck to those still waiting!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Any OOS waitlisted people willing to share their stats? Might as well stress myself out some more while I wait for my letter that hopefully didn’t get wedged between the seats of my mailman’s van.

Ha! Crossing my fingers the letter is between the seats of the mailman's van...

I'm a non-trad OOS applicant with a lot of non-clinical, yet vet/public health experience (i.e. not much clinic/shadowing). I have a MPH degree in epidemiology/bio stats and work in clinical infectious disease research now. All of my veterinary experience was shadowing over the years. I posted in the Successful Applicants thread so there's more info there, but my #s are:

cGPA: 3.65
sGPA: 3.60

GRE: 162/159/5.0

Ha! Crossing my fingers the letter is between the seats of the mailman's van...

I'm a non-trad OOS applicant with a lot of non-clinical, yet vet/public health experience (i.e. not much clinic/shadowing). I have a MPH degree in epidemiology/bio stats and work in clinical infectious disease research now. All of my veterinary experience was shadowing over the years. I posted in the Successful Applicants thread so there's more info there, but my #s are:

cGPA: 3.65
sGPA: 3.60

GRE: 162/159/5.0
Youll be accepted for sure with those

Youll be accepted for sure with those
Thank you!!! I'm sorry it was unclear, I was accepted OOS (I was so shocked). Nothing about this process makes sense! My IS flat out rejected me (Ohio State) yesterday. I see you on here sometimes and am rooting for you!!

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you!!! I'm sorry it was unclear, I was accepted OOS (I was so shocked). Nothing about this process makes sense! My IS flat out rejected me (Ohio State) yesterday. I see you on here sometimes and am rooting for you!!
I completely agree that the process makes no sense. Wisconsin is my IS and I was rejected 2 years ago (but waitlisted by Minnesota) and waitlisted last year (also waitlisted by Michigan State). I feel that if somebody is waitlisted by an OOS school with so many more applicants that they should get in to their IS.

I completely agree that the process makes no sense. Wisconsin is my IS and I was rejected 2 years ago (but waitlisted by Minnesota) and waitlisted last year (also waitlisted by Michigan State). I feel that if somebody is waitlisted by an OOS school with so many more applicants that they should get in to their IS.

Fl is a clear example of that, the IS is very hard to get into for even IS folks. This process makes no sense at all to all but those who make the process.

Fl is a clear example of that, the IS is very hard to get into for even IS folks. This process makes no sense at all to all but those who make the process.
It's so frustrating! I feel like if I am top 100 out of 800-1200 applicants at an OOS school, I should at least be top 62 out of 170 at Wisconsin. I realize that different schools put more emphasis on certain areas of the application, but if I were a resident in some other states, I feel like I would've gotten in already.

It's so frustrating! I feel like if I am top 100 out of 800-1200 applicants at an OOS school, I should at least be top 62 out of 170 at Wisconsin. I realize that different schools put more emphasis on certain areas of the application, but if I were a resident in some other states, I feel like I would've gotten in already.
I know that last part is frustration, but a lot of applicants move to other states to get residency in order to boost their chances of getting into certain schools.

Just watched the mailman put a manila envelope in my mailbox. Kinda freaking out. I will be right back

Reactions: 3 users
Just watched the mailman put a manila envelope in my mailbox. Kinda freaking out. I will be right back
This process is the worst, I’m sitting here anxious for you

I'm in!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 18 users
You just need one acceptance, and your academics are competitive at both. You said ISU is one of your top picks, you got this homie!
My undergrad gpa is horrid though I mean sub 3.0 because I had my house flood out..was working two jobs..and was helping care for my dying grandfather. So im nervous. I retook 9 courses that would be 7-10 years old. Did an Ansci M.S with a 3.7 gpa irma knocked it a bit but I had two 10 credit semesters with a 4.0

My undergrad gpa is horrid though I mean sub 3.0 because I had my house flood out..was working two jobs..and was helping care for my dying grandfather. So im nervous. I retook 9 courses that would be 7-10 years old. Did an Ansci M.S with a 3.7 gpa irma knocked it a bit but I had two 10 credit semesters with a 4.0
Well ISU doesn’t care about cGPA, and they’ll see that you can handle the life stressors and you have a whole lot of experiences that most applicants don’t. All the things you’re supposed to do, you’ve done, and one of these schools will notice that. Believe in yourself the way you want these schools to believe in you, and I promise it’ll happen for you.

I believe in you! Hell, look at me, applied year after year and I finally got it. My undergrad GPA was 3.00 and I didn't have any of those circumstances! You hope that you described all of that in your explanation statement.

I believe in you! Hell, look at me, applied year after year and I finally got it. My undergrad GPA was 3.00 and I didn't have any of those circumstances! You hope that you described all of that in your explanation statement.
I did in detail and how I dealt with similar circumstances after and maintained my gpa

I did in detail and how I dealt with similar circumstances after and maintained my gpa
That’s a good way to get accepted. I think that’s the only reason some schools took me seriously. Showing that you failed to handle your stressors adequately, then learned from your mistakes and proved you could handle them in the future is great. In my explanation I discussed the stressors in my life and how I had to retake a few classes a result, and then even though those stressors didn’t go away I was able to seek help to better deal with them and finished my last 2 semesters with a 3.9. I also discussed mental health in my interview. The question was how do i feel about how stressful vet school can get. I said that although I’m sure it’s stressful, I’m okay with seeking help now. One of much biggest hindrances has been not knowing when to seek help, both academically and for mental health. I learned from mistakes I made freshman and sophomore year and figured out how to deal with problems in my junior year. Now I’ll have no problem.

That’s a good way to get accepted. I think that’s the only reason some schools took me seriously. Showing that you failed to handle your stressors adequately, then learned from your mistakes and proved you could handle them in the future is great. In my explanation I discussed the stressors in my life and how I had to retake a few classes a result, and then even though those stressors didn’t go away I was able to seek help to better deal with them and finished my last 2 semesters with a 3.9. I also discussed mental health in my interview. The question was how do i feel about how stressful vet school can get. I said that although I’m sure it’s stressful, I’m okay with seeking help now. One of much biggest hindrances has been not knowing when to seek help, both academically and for mental health. I learned from mistakes I made freshman and sophomore year and figured out how to deal with problems in my junior year. Now I’ll have no problem.
I did similarly. Seeking help is important and campus based therapy helped me a lot

There’s a snowstorm here. Mailman I’m expecting you to suit up and deliver my letter anyway. I hope it doesn’t get lost in a snowbank. I’m not feeling very optimistic. You all have amazing stats. I wish my 1000 wildlife hospital hours were considered vet hours :(

There’s a snowstorm here. Mailman I’m expecting you to suit up and deliver my letter anyway. I hope it doesn’t get lost in a snowbank. I’m not feeling very optimistic. You all have amazing stats. I wish my 1000 wildlife hospital hours were considered vet hours :(
Dont get discouraged trust me my stats arent fantastic. Wildlife is awesome, did you not have a dvm over you? Even if you are a kennel tech if you are supervised by a vet then it's vet hours especially if you could shadow while doing so.

Dont get discouraged trust me my stats arent fantastic. Wildlife is awesome, did you not have a dvm over you? Even if you are a kennel tech if you are supervised by a vet then it's vet hours especially if you could shadow while doing so.
There was no vet on staff so I was supervised by a vet tech. There are so few wildlife vets in Canada which is the field I want to go into. I’ve got a ton of wildlife animal hours but not many vet hours.