UW Madison for Post bac?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by alexlearning, Oct 30, 2002.

1. alexlearning

alexlearning Junior Member

Hi Gang. I'm new to the board and I'd like to say thanks for all the candid insights - I've been reading for 2 hours straight.

My question is about Post-Bac - I went to Georgetown undergrad an earned an English/Theology degree - but I need to take ALL of my pre-med requirements. The threads on post-bac programs are naturally divided - big name/intense program/big cost versus state school/great GPA/low cost. Most seem to agree that the numbers speak above all else - so first a broad question:

Would I be well served to go to a state school (I'm looking at UW Madison) and kick butt over the next year and a half and do so relatively cheaply or go for the gusto (and the debt) at Harvard, Hopkins or Columbia? Cost is a factor and I might be able to get resident status since my fiance is from Wisconsin. (so maybe I just answered my own question - but it leads to...

...the second question:

Does anyone know how the sciences are at Madison? Are the courses/professors strong, and will I be prepared adequately for the MCAT? Can anyone please recommend a prof I could talk to about starting my post-bac there? Any profs to recommend?

Thanks for your help and for reading this - I am just starting the process and need all the help I can get! I know the honeymoon phase will erode rapidly but it's nice to read all the passion in your posts.

Cheers
    Alex

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.