UW-Madison Secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Badger4Life

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many of you answered the optional question, about any additional information, or difficulties not explained elsewhere? Would it be better to not respond rather than make up some BS?

Members don't see this ad.

Badger4Life said:
How many of you answered the optional question, about any additional information, or difficulties not explained elsewhere? Would it be better to not respond rather than make up some BS?

Hi Badger for life. I am a new SDNer who attends Madison as an undergrad. Do you go to madison too ? Where are you in your degree process ?

I am going to apply next year so I can take a year off between undergrad and grad school.

I didn't respond to the optional essay. I felt that between my PS and the required essay it was enough information.

Members don't see this ad :)
When i get those additional information- unless i have something specific to say to the med school, e.g. for uofc, I am live in and loving chicago and willing to stay in the community to practice- i left most of them blank instead to bs them.
since you already received uwi secondary, i suppose you are an in-stater. there should be plenty thing you can say to express your desire to stay in the wisconsin, right? ;) -just my 2c

btw, what other essay questions are on the UWI secondary?
thanks

yobynaes

When i get those additional information- unless i have something specific to say to the med school, e.g. for uofc, I am live in and loving chicago and willing to stay in the community to practice- i left most of them blank instead to bs them.
since you already received uwi secondary, i suppose you are an in-stater. there should be plenty thing you can say to express your desire to stay in the wisconsin, right? ;) -just my 2c

btw, what other essay questions are on the UWI secondary?
thanks

yobynaes

I'm instate and I left it blank...it really seemed to be looking for some sort of disadvantaged status or hardship or something really unexpected...and i don't have anything like that, so i figured thats better than making up bs

Not responding > making up BS

I'll check what I wrote last year (and got in).

I took the opportunity to explain about my rather crappy volunteer record, since Madison is known to put a lot of emphasis on volunteering. (Illness in the family + working to pay the bills as a non-trad = less volunteer hours than they like to see.)

I got in.

here's what I had:

Making the decision to apply to the University of Wisconsin Medical School was an easy one. I hope to have the opportunity to pursue research as a way to intertwine my interest in clinical medicine with my interest in advancing the forefront of science. The University of Wisconsin is well-respected for both its undergraduate and professional schools, and I am proud to have been a part of the UW system. In addition, I am excited by the prospect of being able to attend such an excellent school and remain relatively close to home. Both my fiance and I have close family ties, and I would like to remain in Wisconsin.

As an addendum, because my transcript was submitted to AMCAS prior to the release of my Spring 2005 grades, I would like to update the information from the AMCAS. I received a grade point average of 3.x, with a grade of A in all of my science courses. This qualified me for the Dean’s List, and it brings my cumulative grade point average at UW-Milwaukee to a 3.x. Because I have completed the majority of my required coursework at UWM, I hope to spend an increased amount of my time this fall working in Dr. 's neuroscience research lab and working as an emergency medical technician in central Milwaukee.

Badger4Life said:

I think you should definately take advantage of it. I used it to delve into other aspects of my application that I didn't stress in my PS (I had A TON of volunteer, international, clinical experiences though). I definately formatted it in a formal way (like my PS). I ended up gettin in with a scholarship (in state).

leahmaria said:
I'm instate and I left it blank...it really seemed to be looking for some sort of disadvantaged status or hardship or something really unexpected...and i don't have anything like that, so i figured thats better than making up bs

That's the way I felt about it too.

Does anyone else have an opinion? I'm about to do the secondary and I'm still debating whether or not to write the optional question.