UW-Madison SVM c/o 2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OOS (international) accepted!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Oos(international) accepted will b declining!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I just received the pdf by email! OOS (international) accepted!! :D

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Has anyone IS that got in/waitlist declined? I'm on the waitlist currently and want to know if maybe it has fluctuated!

Dang, you're rocking it this cycle! That makes how many schools, now?
3 accepted, 1 waitlisted, and 2 interviews (still waiting to hear back)! It's been a great cycle! Much better than being denied everywhere last year...

If anyone has been rejected, know that there is still hope next year!

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Anyone looking for a roommate and want to meet up next weekend? I have a bunny and a chinchilla who will be great for exotic handling practice and would love to have an in-home study buddy!

Who is all going to the open house on 2/28???

Anyone looking for a roommate and want to meet up next weekend? I have a bunny and a chinchilla who will be great for exotic handling practice and would love to have an in-home study buddy!
I was thinking of looking for a studio but i'm open to being a roommate too! I won't be coming this weekend, though. Messaging you on here right now :)

Any current students have any suggestions on what we should check out while at the school/the area?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any current students have any suggestions on what we should check out while at the school/the area?
My only possible recommendation would really be apartments (especially if you're an OOS student). Unless you're fine with traveling back up to Madison later on to look at those. Otherwise, you can always check out the downtown area. I don't know much about the city itself as I have been living either at the school, bars, or in my bed since classes started.

Reactions: 1 users
My only possible recommendation would really be apartments (especially if you're an OOS student). Unless you're fine with traveling back up to Madison later on to look at those. Otherwise, you can always check out the downtown area. I don't know much about the city itself as I have been living either at the school, bars, or in my bed since classes started.
How is the university housing is off campus better?

will be declining my OOS spot gl u guys !

Does anyone know what the dress code is for the open house? I am so excited to come see Madison :giggle:

Does anyone know what the dress code is for the open house? I am so excited to come see Madison :giggle:

It’s casual! Last year I wore jeans and a sweater but I think some people even just wore sweatshirts!

Reactions: 4 users
will be taking myself off the waitlist (#131) to attend my top choice. Good luck to everyone this cycle!

Reactions: 2 users
Is anyone looking for a roommate? I like the idea of living alone but also would like to consider the option of having a roommate. I would prefer only living with one roommate (i.e. a two bedroom). Message or quote if you're interested! :D

Is anyone looking for a roommate? I like the idea of living alone but also would like to consider the option of having a roommate. I would prefer only living with one roommate (i.e. a two bedroom). Message or quote if you're interested! :D

Hey Nikki, see below! I know Manders was looking. I'm not sure if she's found anyone yet!

Manders, any luck? Nikki is looking for a roommate, if you still need one :)

Hey Nikki, see below! I know Manders was looking. I'm not sure if she's found anyone yet!

Manders, any luck? Nikki is looking for a roommate, if you still need one :)

Yes, we have contacted each other however I'm still debating which university I'm going to attend. Thanks for thinking of me though!

What building are we meeting in today or address? The email only says SVM second floor lobby

What building are we meeting in today or address? The email only says SVM second floor lobby
Hey, hope you found your way! FYI for anyone else wondering about this, the SVM is just one (large) building. If you’re not sure of the address, just plugging in “school of veterinary medicine” into Maps should also get you there.

This is my first on this website! I am excited to be here! Currently on the waitlist of UW-Madison and I have some questions that I’m hoping current students can answer!
Are most of the lectures recorded? I know at some school they record for students to re-listen.
And how much surgery experience do students get when working in the hospital?
I am also interested in any of the pros and cons of the program! Feel free to PM me too!

Has anyone IS that got in/waitlist declined? I'm on the waitlist currently and want to know if maybe it has fluctuated!
I am in state waitlisted as well! In my letter I was notified that I was #2 on the in state waitlist and I called this past week to see if that status had changed and they told me I was now #1. So that means that either the first person on the waitlist got in or they took himself/herself off the list. The in state list moves much more slowly than out of state, but the admissions office told me Jenna will make calls as the declines come in, they won’t wait until after April 15th. The office is super friendly and said that anyone is welcome to call anytime and check on if their position has moved up!

I am in state waitlisted as well! In my letter I was notified that I was #2 on the in state waitlist and I called this past week to see if that status had changed and they told me I was now #1. So that means that either the first person on the waitlist got in or they took himself/herself off the list. The in state list moves much more slowly than out of state, but the admissions office told me Jenna will make calls as the declines come in, they won’t wait until after April 15th. The office is super friendly and said that anyone is welcome to call anytime and check on if their position has moved up!
Yeah I actually called last Friday to see if there was a website or something we could check on so we wouldn't have to bother calling them, but they said the same thing call any time and I also went up a seat position. Slowly making the way to the top! Lol. Hopefully you get the call soon from them, I can't imagine you not getting in starting at 2 on the waitlist

This is my first on this website! I am excited to be here! Currently on the waitlist of UW-Madison and I have some questions that I’m hoping current students can answer!
Are most of the lectures recorded? I know at some school they record for students to re-listen.
And how much surgery experience do students get when working in the hospital?
I am also interested in any of the pros and cons of the program! Feel free to PM me too!
The lectures are recorded. But don't rely on that 100% of the time, there have been some technical difficulties recently; however, you can still look at previous years lectures, which tend to be very similar.
As for surgical experience, I have no idea. I don't believe it's very much though.
Pros of the program: I think most of our instructors are outstanding. They are all more than willing to stay late and help out. They get you shadowing in the hospital in your first semester, so you can get some clinical and hands on experience that way. We've been practicing performing physical exams on dogs, cows, and horses. There are other pros that I can talk about if you have any specific questions.
Cons: the facilities are a little outdated and cramped. They are going to be expanding the teaching hospital, so you would have that for 4th year. I think that the testing schedule could be organized a little better (but they are very receptive to our concerns). Those are really the only two cons that I can think of.

Edit: sorry that this wasn't the most informative reply, I'm just using this as a study break and need to get back to studying. I can answer any specific questions much more accurately.

The lectures are recorded. But don't rely on that 100% of the time, there have been some technical difficulties recently; however, you can still look at previous years lectures, which tend to be very similar.
As for surgical experience, I have no idea. I don't believe it's very much though.

If you are interested in small animal (or just want surgical experience) you can begin neutering cats 1st year and spaying cats not too long after that. It just requires you put in the time, and pass a couple of key exams. This is through a partnership with a local cat rescue/TNR organization.

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know if Madison requires any specific things like certain clothing, laptops, etc?

I declined my OOS offer of admittance. I got accepted at my IS college and am in love with it! Good luck to everybody!

• Love
I declined my OOS offer of admittance. I got accepted at my IS college and am in love with it! Good luck to everybody!

Congratulations! Sad that we won't be seeing you come fall, but so happy for you that you were accepted to your instate! Good luck to you in your adventures there!

Was accepted (OOS) last month, I am currently deciding between 4 universities. I'm strongly considering attending Wisconsin, I just really wish I could visit the state/campus, to get an idea what it would be like. Unfortunately, COVID is making that look unrealistic :(

Was accepted (OOS) last month, I am currently deciding between 4 universities. I'm strongly considering attending Wisconsin, I just really wish I could visit the state/campus, to get an idea what it would be like. Unfortunately, COVID is making that look unrealistic :(

Do you have any specific questions? I will be starting in the Fall, so know less about the school, but I have been in Wisconsin/Madison area my entire life! :)

If you have any questions about the school I can answer them! I’m a current first year.

Just declined my OOS acceptance. Good luck to anybody on the waitlist!

Do you have any specific questions? I will be starting in the Fall, so know less about the school, but I have been in Wisconsin/Madison area my entire life! :)
Thank you! So I'm not sure how easy these questions will be to answer, but I'll try to word them the best I can! I understand there's little to no free time during school, but one thing I'm curious of is recreational activities in the Madison area. I love the outdoors; skiing, hiking, mountain biking, camping, etc. Just curious what's available in driving distance of Madison. Also, what are the people of Madison like? Of course every city will have its friendly people and mean people, but what's the general feel to the city? I hope these make sense . I have heard so many good things about how close VetMed students generally are, and how it's less about competition and more about helping each other out, which I love!

If you have any questions about the school I can answer them! I’m a current first year.
Thank you! So same questions I had for gizzerlizzer, I'm curious about recreational activities available in and near Madison. I love the outdoors; skiing, hiking, mountain biking, camping, etc. Just curious what's available in driving distance of Madison. I know that can be found with research, but one thing that's better to ask a local: what are the people of Madison like? Every city has its friendly people and mean people, but what's the general feel to the city? I've heard so many good things about the VetMed culture at Wisconsin, and how close students generally are!

Thank you! So I'm not sure how easy these questions will be to answer, but I'll try to word them the best I can! I understand there's little to no free time during school, but one thing I'm curious of is recreational activities in the Madison area. I love the outdoors; skiing, hiking, mountain biking, camping, etc. Just curious what's available in driving distance of Madison. Also, what are the people of Madison like? Of course every city will have its friendly people and mean people, but what's the general feel to the city? I hope these make sense . I have heard so many good things about how close VetMed students generally are, and how it's less about competition and more about helping each other out, which I love!

There are definitely a lot of opportunities around Madison for outdoor activities. The Arboreum has a lot of nice trails and so does Madison and surrounding areas in general. I also love the dog parks. The dog parks are huge and have trails in the fenced in regions so I get exercise while my dogs do! Madison has a few nice lakes to check out if you enjoy water activities like kayaking etc. Hiking wise, if you drive about an hour north to the dells, you have Devils Lake. There you'll find hiking trails and of course the lake/beach. I can't say that I've camped much in this area, but I know there is camping at Devils lake. I usually camp further up north. I know there are places to ski, but I'm not coordinated on my own two feet, let alone on skis, but I'm sure someone else can speak to that. I enjoy Madison as a city. I grew up in Portage and it was very small town. So I enjoy the opportunities that a present in the larger city, like the locally own restaurant you won't find anywhere else etc. As to be expected, Midwestern nice is definitely ever present. Of course, as any location you have crappy drivers, and generally the traffic is terrible in Madison during rush hour, but definitely all manageable.