UW-Madison

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

novarium

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will be filling out apps soon and I was curious about the present opinions in regards to the training available at UW-madison in terms of quality of training and its "ranking" i.e. how the residents, in general, who train there are viewed. I know the programs who generally top this "rank" seem to invariably include mgh, chicago, pitt, WashU, duke, Michigan...... I have heard good things from some attendings at my school in regards to Wisconsin. I am very interested in academic programs that balance world-class basic science research and top-notch surgical training and curious as whether this program falls under this category. Ive seen it has moved up in NIH funding rankings to the top5 programs in the country but would like some views on if this translates to UW-madison carrying with it an impressive "name" but obviously more importantly excellent surgical training.

I appreciate your time ,thank you! Ps forgive the double post

Members don't see this ad.

I went to medical school in the midwest and interviewed at Wisconsin a few years ago. I would totally endorse UW for your "academic programs that balance world-class basic science research and top-notch surgical training" designation. They have very strong clinical programs and seem to have done a good job with organizing resident research and academic development. It is very well respected within academic circles, even independent of the fact that Wisconsin has very strong engagement with the AAS. Most people seem to love Madison, but winter lasts for a while in that part of the country and can get pretty harsh.

Thank you very much for the response. I appreciate any info or opinions anyone may have. Thanks again

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't interview there, but knowing what I do now, I would have put it on my list. It has a strong academic reputation, and I know many of our senior faculty speak highly of it as a research institution. You never want to go somewhere because of one faculty member, but I think having the chance to train under Herb Chen would certainly be a great thing.

Wisconsin is a stellar program with many great faculty across many disciplines. It has traditionally been a little more regional in terms of student recruitment I think because of the weather concerns, but once you get past that, I think you will find a program that will get you anywhere you want to go with a pedigree that will be an asset. Yes it probably doesn't yet have the "wow" factor yet of the traditional "tippy top" but everyone who pays attention knows the level of work that is coming out of Wisconsin and is impressed. And yes, Herb Chen gets more done by noon than most surgeons get done in a day it seems sometimes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you for all the answers. Much appreciated. I'm totally fine with "sacrificing" location for training. Of course wow factor is nice but truly only matters more to impress the public. As long as a majority of faculty nationwide (presumably the same who eval applicants for fellowship positions) view it as a stellar program that's really all that matters.

Thanks again. Definitely will be looking into Madison