UW, Madison

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SmokeyBear

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interviewing there on Jan 2o. Any fellow SNDners going to be there too?
Also, I was wondering how everyone who have already interviewed feel about the faculty and group interview?? Any tips...... :D

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed there on Dec. 16th. The faculty interview was pretty laid back, and the student one didn't really seem like an interview at all. It was three applicants and two med students basically just having a conversation about the school. When you get there, they even tell you that the interview doesn't really mean much--that it's just another letter in your file.

Madison is awesome! Congrats on the interview. I was originally scheduled on the same day as you but I bumped my interview up to last Friday. Don't worry though, the Head of the Admissions Committee says that early interviews don't give you an advantage in the interview process.

The school is phenomenal (and brand new). I've seen many medical schools around the country and I must admit that I was awed by the new building. You get a sense that the school is going somewhere! I also stayed with a student host who was studying for finals. You would think that with a letter grading system that it would be super-competitive, but I saw collaboration with between students the night before their finals. I'm pretty sure it is my top choice now.

Anyhow, the interview day is very laid back. Don't worry about it, just go over your primary amcas because that is all your interviewer is going to have in front of them (they don't have your secondary essays). Also look at the SDN interview feedback. My faculty interviewer did a good job of reframing the conversation so that we were equal colleagues. He asked a few questions about my activities and I asked a few questions about his point of view of the school and his actvities. The student interview was laid back and almost like an informal information session. All they want to do is see what motivates you and why you would got to Madison. Ask lots of questions! Be yourself and you will be fine!

I also stayed with a student host while I was there. If you get a chance to do this you should. It'll give you a good sense of the community. Everyone made me feel welcome. Good luck! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tiger26 said:
I interviewed there on Dec. 16th. The faculty interview was pretty laid back, and the student one didn't really seem like an interview at all. It was three applicants and two med students basically just having a conversation about the school. When you get there, they even tell you that the interview doesn't really mean much--that it's just another letter in your file.

I second this...

It's a totally chill day. Don't stress at all, you'll be fine. I agree with the others that the faculty interview is nothing to worry about and the group student "interview" really isn't one -- you wind up asking them more questions than they ask you. Only thing I'd tell ya to do to prepare is think of some questions!

Good luck! :luck: :luck: :luck:

Definitely the most relaxed interview I had, by far. The "group interview" is more like "sit and talk with the M2's." They sort of asked us questions, but it was not.intense.at.all. You'll have a good day.

Get the turkey!