UW-Madison?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vellaboy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Y'all,
Does anybody know anything about EM at UW-Madison? Not much comes up on an SDN search and there's nada on scutwork.com. I know it's a new program and relatively "good", but it's so under the radar I can't find out anything about it. Would definitely appreciate any input from anyone. Thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

I always wonder how a brand new program can be designated "good." At best it seems like that would remain to be seen.

I interviewed at UW Madison, so that's the limit of my knowledge on the subject. The facilities are comparable to a four star hotel, absolutely beautiful and well thought out. The resources there are simply astounding. The heated rooftop helipad was sweet, something almost out of a sci-fi movie. There were glidescopes in multiple rooms and the ED was spacious. There was even special lighting in the waiting room that morphed colors so as to have a calming, or psychedelic, effect on those waiting. I couldn't imagine that anyone had ever actually bled onto the pristine floors.

The staff are from some of the best training sites in the US, something that the apparently planned and thought out before the residency began. They were all very welcoming and friendly during the interview. Madison is a great place to live from all accounts. Bring your long underwear along though, because it gets frigid there. you must like beer. It is too cold to do anything in the winter but drink in an effort to warm yourself and wait for the spring thaw.

The program is a tertiary care facility and recieves patients from a pretty large, albeit rural, catchment area. The one thing it lacks is volume. They see approximately 30-35k patients per year. While this is certainly more than multiple residents can see, it is certainly not an "Inner City" program. From what I saw, this will be one of the more competitive programs in the next 5-10 years.

I think it would be a great program for those not interested in a large inner city ED immediately following training. It was high on my list...

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, a_ditchdoc. That's really the first report I've seen about the place. Sounds like it's worth some consideration. Did you happen to have experience with U of Iowa EM? It's another I'm looking into.

I interviewed at UW Madison, so that's the limit of my knowledge on the subject. The facilities are comparable to a four star hotel, absolutely beautiful and well thought out. The resources there are simply astounding. The heated rooftop helipad was sweet, something almost out of a sci-fi movie. There were glidescopes in multiple rooms and the ED was spacious. There was even special lighting in the waiting room that morphed colors so as to have a calming, or psychedelic, effect on those waiting. I couldn't imagine that anyone had ever actually bled onto the pristine floors.

The staff are from some of the best training sites in the US, something that the apparently planned and thought out before the residency began. They were all very welcoming and friendly during the interview. Madison is a great place to live from all accounts. Bring your long underwear along though, because it gets frigid there. you must like beer. It is too cold to do anything in the winter but drink in an effort to warm yourself and wait for the spring thaw.

The program is a tertiary care facility and recieves patients from a pretty large, albeit rural, catchment area. The one thing it lacks is volume. They see approximately 30-35k patients per year. While this is certainly more than multiple residents can see, it is certainly not an "Inner City" program. From what I saw, this will be one of the more competitive programs in the next 5-10 years.

I think it would be a great program for those not interested in a large inner city ED immediately following training. It was high on my list...

This seems unlikely. What are you basing this on?

I suppose I base it on my impression of the top-notch faculty and superb facilities, not to mention that Madison is a great place to live. Do you have any reasons why it might NOT be?

Are you trying to be controversial or do you simply not like my opinion of the program? If you interviewed there, feel free to share your impression with the forum.

I suppose I base it on my impression of the top-notch faculty and superb facilities, not to mention that Madison is a great place to live. Do you have any reasons why it might NOT be?

Are you trying to be controversial or do you simply not like my opinion of the program? If you interviewed there, feel free to share your impression with the forum.

Neither, it just seemed strange to suggest that a program that has yet to graduate a class will rise to the top in the next few years. Even with the best faculty/facilities in the world it would probably take at least a decade to establish itself.

If you get a chacne, google "Madison" and "Halloween."

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1677849,00.html

It's a little known fact that Madison is THE place to be for Halloween. A few years ago they tried to preemptively close down the city streets to curb the mobs. :laugh: I'd hate to be in the ED on that night

Last edited:
I've interviewed at UWMadison and ranked them towards the middle of my list. The reason being is that they are new and you cannot gauge the caliber of residents they churn out being the second batch just coming in (2011 class).

However, from what I recall, the facilities, ancillary staff are top notch (something I wish my program had) and if you see enough and have good attendings who teach - I cannot see why it wouldn't be a great program. That said, being a tertiary care hospital and a limited number of patient population going through the ER was enough to dissuade me.

My preference was for an inner city, county setting where I saw as much as I could (but still be in a great city so I could relax when I'm off) - though I'm sure I'm missing out on some tertiary care patients. Nothing's ever perfect, you just have to choose your poison.

If I ended up at UWM, I don't think I would've regretted it either.

i'm at uw for med school... going into em... i'd say it's a nice, new ER and the faculty are pretty great. the only problem is the incorporation of the ER residents into the trauma team... they're working on it, but it's not ideal

i'm at uw for med school... going into em... i'd say it's a nice, new ER and the faculty are pretty great. the only problem is the incorporation of the ER residents into the trauma team... they're working on it, but it's not ideal

THat is generally a problem initially for a year or so at a new program. I was the first class of a program down in FL, and there were some bumps figuring out who was going to take care of trauma patients. Now I'm in DC, at a new program, and we just got PGY3s. Some bumps and bruises in trauma care but it will all be taken care of. Trust me, surgery residents would rather not come down for every trauma, they'd love to be a consult service!

So, no worries about that. That is how it works at new programs, Surgeons are very territorial and don't like people encrouching, but once they learn that EM docs can handle the vast majority of trauma patients, htey will loosen up.

Quinn

yeah, i know that every EM program.. even the established ones... have problems of dealing with trauma care. i think things are getting better here. i actually really love the ED here at UW. The faculty are all pretty great people in general, very laid-back, interested in teaching, and interested in seeing you succeed. The residents are almost all laid-back but very bright. Madison is a great city to live in as well. We get to see a lot of zebras because the extensive transplant program here... interesting pathology, complex problems. lots of drunk driving and some farm accidents.

yeah, i know that every EM program.. even the established ones... have problems of dealing with trauma care. i think things are getting better here. i actually really love the ED here at UW. The faculty are all pretty great people in general, very laid-back, interested in teaching, and interested in seeing you succeed. The residents are almost all laid-back but very bright. Madison is a great city to live in as well. We get to see a lot of zebras because the extensive transplant program here... interesting pathology, complex problems. lots of drunk driving and some farm accidents.

Do you know if they still require residents to fly in light of the medflight crash?

No, flight is no longer required. It is an option if you still want to. There are 2 in my class (I am one of them) who are not flying. The ones who are seem to be enjoying it. I mean how often do you get to land on the highway and intubate someone?

As far as our facility goes the only place that I saw during interviews that came close was East Carolina's new ED. You really have to see the place to believe it.

Yes, we are new. We are developing our program. Being in the first class I have had a chance to establish what will take place here for years.

Trauma - I was the first to go through. Thought it was great. There were a few of my surgical colleages who were apprehensive, fearing that we would want some of their OR time. It worked out great. I could care less about the OR, but I do want tubes and lines. They also needed someone to help with ultrasound, airways, etc. We have above the national average for penetrating trauma (believe it or not), but most of it is farm related. There were 3 ED thoracotomies my first trauma month and only a handful of gunshot wounds, but that is what makes Madison a nice place to live.

Volume was always a question that was asked last year during interview season. This year we are on pace to see mid 40's and at the projected rate should be above 60 in 1-2 years. With that being said, as an EM2 I cover half of the ER (17 beds) w/ one attending. I am yet to see all of the patients in a shift. I average around 15 pts in an 8 hour shift.

Anyway, I could go on all day about our program, but it would sound like I was bragging. I'll try to keep up with this link to answer any questions.

To those that are interested in Madison, do not let the fact it is a newer program sway you. I graduated as the first chief/class at USF in Tampa, and thought my training was great, and, honestly, being in the first few classes are even more helpful and better suited for more individual education.

Now i am facutly at Georgetown, which has now entered its third year, and the first several classes are doing great and their education has not suffered at all being a new class.

I will actually be leaving here in November to take a supersweet community job in Madison, WI, so will not really be academic much longer, but I can tell you that I have spoken with some of the people at UW-Madison and they are hellbent on making their program one of the best in the country.

Q

To those that are interested in Madison, do not let the fact it is a newer program sway you. I graduated as the first chief/class at USF in Tampa, and thought my training was great, and, honestly, being in the first few classes are even more helpful and better suited for more individual education.

Now i am facutly at Georgetown, which has now entered its third year, and the first several classes are doing great and their education has not suffered at all being a new class.

I will actually be leaving here in November to take a supersweet community job in Madison, WI, so will not really be academic much longer, but I can tell you that I have spoken with some of the people at UW-Madison and they are hellbent on making their program one of the best in the country.

Q

I think you guys will really love Madison. I've pretty much lived there my entire life except for college and med school, and it's a great city. Assuming I decide to do EM next year, I always had it in mind except for the flight requirement. Now that that's lifted, it should be much higher on the list.

Are you going to work at St. Mary's? I know they are expanding like nobody's business. Foley and the crew over there are alright. Planning on doing an elective w/ them in March.

btw - you are right about the level of training being more individualized. Working directly one-on-one w/ an attending is much more like being an apprentice than a resident.

Are you going to work at St. Mary's? I know they are expanding like nobody's business. Foley and the crew over there are alright. Planning on doing an elective w/ them in March.

btw - you are right about the level of training being more individualized. Working directly one-on-one w/ an attending is much more like being an apprentice than a resident.
Yeah I'll be at St Mary's. Moving up there in November, starting in December. I am sure I will see you around as I plan on stopping by Grand Rounds just to get a feel for your program. I know that your Univ of W-M has some per diem shifts and I may well very do a few, who knows. Foley is a cool dude....

Q