UW MSTP secondary app?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sara3426

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Against (what I thought were) all odds, I just received a request to fill out the second secondary for UW's MSTP. You know, on the website it says "your application has been deemed competitive," but what does that really mean? Does anyone have a percentage, or at least number of students that are invited to fill it out? Is it almost everyone, etc?

Any help seriously appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

no one? anyone? anyone? *tear*

I know nothing about UW-specific secondary tendencies, but I would venture a guess that you should take that language with a sizeable grain of salt. My guess is you've passed a very broad-swath preliminary automated filter of some kind.

However, it really shouldn't affect how you go about applying (unless you are in a financial situation that limits how many secondaries you can submit). If you like the UW program & curriculum and would go if given an invite, apply and hope for the best. It's very difficult to "read the tea leaves" with secondaries.

Members don't see this ad :)
i think UW had 300 or some applicants last year. in most MSTP programs, i think every application gets individual attention b/c there's only a few hundred (as opposed to thousands for regular MD programs) applicants, or so I've heard. i doubt they do a "broad-swath filter" if there's so few applicants. assuming they screen, lets say they screen 50% to 150. that's where you would be. go ahead and apply.

You should fill out the secondary if you want to come here.

That is probably a pretty good general guideline for most programs :)

has anybody heard from UW after submitting their secondary? when do they start inviting for interviews if not?

UW's escondary application fee was 35 bucks if i remember it correctly, fill it out, it's a no brainer.

They interview in Jan, Feb, and March. They probably won't invite people until December.

FYI - U Chicago, U Colorado, UNC, UC San Diego (and maybe others) all start their interviews in January. So, no news just means they haven't reviewed our files yet.

sweet thanks for the info.