UW or Midwestern (AZ) ? Advise me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aidep5

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey you guys :)

So I've been getting admissions to couple pharmacy schools and finalized to top two schools that I want to attend, University of Washington vs. Midwestern (AZ).:love:

They both seems to have a good program and UW defenitely has a better reputation however, Midwestern would cost me about 40K less overall. (Plus about 100K of opportunity cost by wokring of that 1 year I get out later from UW) :eek:

Does anybody know if UW would have "better" connection after graduation due to being among top pharmacy school in the US?

I'm about 60% towards going to UW due to location&program&reputation, but when it comes to money, going to Midwestern would sound resonable.

So then if I were to consider the educational quality- would UW and Midwestern(AZ) would be pretty much the same, since there is only one goal- passing NAPLEX and the state exam????:confused:

I've been going on and on with this decision making for over a week, and can't seem to make up my mind.. :scared:
Please give me some comments!! Thanks!!:p

Members don't see this ad.

Personally I would choose UW, because David Baker is there.

I've known pharmacists who've graduated from schools with "prestige", as well as those who've graduated from those with "no prestige". Guess what? They all scored the same residencies, and are now making the exact same amount of money. Early in my pre-pharm days I was all concerned about "prestige" too, but what I've learned is that a PharmD is a PharmD, no matter where it comes from; it's up to YOU to make your own "connections", not your school. So I went with the cheapest and quickest option (but as a bonus, I really like the location.) Midwestern seems to make sense here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where do you want to practice afterwards? You will make connections wherever you go to school, so - where do you want to live?

AZ, where we're plagued with sun & it's hotter than blazes 3-4 months?

WA, where the rainy season starts January 1 & ends December 31?

Of course, there's a lot more to consider than weather. :)

Hey, there are some days it's cloudy with no rain! :p
Looked like this earlier :love:
389258_10100166608217850_25901831_42544607_397313136_n.jpg

But, in the end, I say it comes down to what felt better when you were visiting each school. And where you plan to live after graduation.

I've known pharmacists who've graduated from schools with "prestige", as well as those who've graduated from those with "no prestige". Guess what? They all scored the same residencies, and are now making the exact same amount of money. Early in my pre-pharm days I was all concerned about "prestige" too, but what I've learned is that a PharmD is a PharmD, no matter where it comes from; it's up to YOU to make your own "connections", not your school. So I went with the cheapest and quickest option (but as a bonus, I really like the location.) Midwestern seems to make sense here.
True, once a pharmacist stays pharmacist and get equal opportunity to get hired and get same pay rate. Where do you or did you go for pharm school? At least you liked the location where the cheaper school was, I personally prefer location of UW than Midwestern which concerns me.

Where do you want to practice afterwards? You will make connections wherever you go to school, so - where do you want to live?

AZ, where we're plagued with sun & it's hotter than blazes 3-4 months?

Ultimately I would want to practice in CA, LA, where my family is but as you know it's super saturated and there might not be much job available. I'll see how it goes. I don't mind migrating though.

I personally love the rainy weather so seattle won't be a problem for me.
I know weather shouldn't come big as a decision factor but it's someting that I'm also considerig about. :)

Financially, MWG is the best choice.
In the short-term, Midwestern seems like a winner since cheaper and faster way out to get Pharm.D.
In the long-term, UW is a better investment because of more resources I'll be getting such as research opportunities and more extended study in pharmaceuticals.

Haha I can't seem to make up my mind. Both schools seems pretty good to me! :p

I goggled him lol he's a proffessor at UW? Interesting research he carried out.

If you are into research specifically in protein engineering, he is the guy to talk to. He is one professor I idolized during my undergrad, which would explain my bias =P

In the short-term, Midwestern seems like a winner since cheaper and faster way out to get Pharm.D.

In the long term, MWU is also a winner. You will be paying that extra 40K for another 15 years. That equates to about 400 bucks a month. What could you do with an extra 400 bucks a month for the next 15 years?

I would also think that MWU would have better opportunities for rotations out in southern california, give its proximity. But what do i know... i am a predent.

Lastly, i have lived in AZ for most of my life. It is hotter than **** for the 3 summer months... but the rest of the year is very nice and enjoyable. Thats why we have "snowbirds", old people who migrate down here every fall/winter to escape cold places.