UW Seattle vs UM Minneapolis Premed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zero12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just wanted to hear some opinions about the pros and cons of potentially doing premed (or maybe even prevet, I'm not really sure yet) at either colleges. I've read quite a few things about UW Seattle here, and how cut throat it is. The research opportunities at Seattle seem great, but it seems like it is tough to get a high GPA (the averages are curved to a 2.8?), and that students don't help one another.

Is this similar to UM Minneapolis? I understand competition will be high everywhere, and the curves are probably similar, but is the student body at UM Minneapolis as cut throat and competitive too? Also, how is the research opportunities at Minneapolis?

Members don't see this ad.

Eh, UW isn't cut throat in my opinion and it definitely isn't true that people don't help each other. You'll be able to find study groups easily if you want to, just talk to the person sitting next to you in class or lab. Personally, I completed a major that funnels pre-meds and a different more competitive major. I never once felt like someone was trying to thwart me or was unwilling to help me in either case.

UW intro-science classes are huge and that can be intimidating although the class size gets better as you go. I feel like averages are closer to the 3.2/3.3 range for the major freshman and sophmore pre-med courses, but I'll admit I'm pulling that number from thin air. If you put in the work, you will get a good grade. It isn't an ungodly amount of work either. If you slack off, yeah, you'll pay for it but that will be true of any good program. Professors and TAs really do love to help, even in a 300 person class, you just need to put in the effort to go to office hours or to set up meetings. UW is a well known program. A 3.5 from UW is probably better than a 3.5 from somewhere else.

The research opportunities at UW are pretty darn incredible. This is especially true because of the proximity of UW to Fred Hutch, Seattle Children's, SCCA, and local biotech companies. If research is your goal, UW is the place to go.

Both schools are in the top 15 for money spent on research. Both are in a metropolitan setting.

I wouldn't worry about the "cut throat" thing. Exceptional students will stand out, and you'll earn the grades you get.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
UW is good especially if you can establish instate residency to apply to uw med