UW SOM vs. WSU ESFCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chegg

Reaction score
Looked all over and couldn't find the same comparison for this cycle! Please post below if you know of one and I just missed it.

UW (Seattle)
Pros -

• Mucho prestige
  • Well established program
  • Research $$ (not very important to me, but notable Pro)
  • Seattle is cool
Cons -
  • Bigger school, less personalized?
  • I got an "every student for themselves" kind of vibe that I don't really dig?
  • More expensive
  • Seattle is expensive (not as big a Con, I kind find affordable options, but still worth noting)

WSU ESFCOM (Spokane)
Pros -

• LOVE the program! Built with inclusive and equity in mind
  • Very personalized, slightly smaller class (80 seats compared to Seattle's 100)
  • Spokane has slightlyyyy more affordable housing options
  • Definitely less expensive
Cons -
  • Such a new program. Very exciting Match results for the first graduating class, but still so new
  • I like Spokane, but it is less diverse than Seattle
  • Similar to my undergrad environment - I want to try something new

Summary: I'm honestly just trying to decide between culture and prestige. I love ESFCOM's program and their vision and how they reach underserved communities. But would I be majorly wasting an opportunity at UW - where their reputation alone holds weight? Is ESFCOM headed in a similar direction? Ugh. Pls help.

Members don't see this ad.

Fellow WA applicant! If these are your only choices then definitely UW. It’s too soon to choose WSU over UW. Maybe once we have 4+ years of match data we can start to have that conversation, but unless you for sure only wanna go into FM in WA I wouldn’t take the risk just for culture. I also got that vibe from Seattle but hopefully not all the students are like that!

Reactions: 1 users