UW vs Dartmouth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MontanaGirl2020

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
In state tution at UW which is about 15k a year cheaper. I live on the west coast. Leaning towards UW but didn't know if there was anything special about Dartmouth that I am missing. Thanks y'all
UW pros:
Close to home
Great reputation
I want to stay in the region
Seems like students have lots of resources
I would like to do residency at uw or Utah
Cheaper
UW cons:
I have to move around a lot 3/4th year
I will be in Moscow Idaho the first two years

Dartmouth Pros:
Some prestige(less than uw in the medical community)
Similar match to UW
Lots of outdoor stuff nearby
New experience on the east costs
Don’t have to move 3rd/4th year
Dartmouth cons:
Really far from home
More expensive
Don’t jibe super well with the east coast.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
OK. IF you really 'want to stay in the region' then by all means go local. But remember this: Med school is 100mph, 12 hours straight study on weekends and NO TIME. Often, it is BETTER to go away from home simply because you have no TIME (caps for emphasis only;)...and 100 hour weeks as a 3-4th year (even if they say only 80...) sorting to visit family? Uh uh. If you live close? THEY GET HURT, they do not get it at all. That is stress on YOU not needed as med school is stressful enough alone. Stay fit in school. We ran at lunch 5 miles and worked out QOD-a small group of us. The rest of our class got fat, drank, etc to 'de-stress'..not healthy at all. But family not involved in medicine will NEVER get the time you must put into your studies. Go where you have ample opportunity for VARIED Residency programs, rotate thru a variety of hospitals...get out in the good med school rotations and SHINE--even if that means traveling to get there. I LOVED TRAVELING! I got in my old Honda CRV, and went across country--a new hospital every month--just for kicks and had a blast. My classmates thought me nuts but the experience was wonderful. I worked Psych on the Reservation in NM, IM and ortho in NC (ski area:) and trauma in NY-Bronx. You will have your choice for Residency if you shine and put 100% into your work and forget everything else. But STAY BALANCED in keeping fit, don't get into the drinking thing, and stay happy.
(I'm a retired Attending Surgeon, US Army wounded in Iraq, giving you my 2cents worth;)

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
OK. IF you really 'want to stay in the region' then by all means go local. But remember this: Med school is 100mph, 12 hours straight study on weekends and NO TIME. Often, it is BETTER to go away from home simply because you have no TIME (caps for emphasis only;)...and 100 hour weeks as a 3-4th year (even if they say only 80...) sorting to visit family? Uh uh. If you live close? THEY GET HURT, they do not get it at all. That is stress on YOU not needed as med school is stressful enough alone. Stay fit in school. We ran at lunch 5 miles and worked out QOD-a small group of us. The rest of our class got fat, drank, etc to 'de-stress'..not healthy at all. But family not involved in medicine will NEVER get the time you must put into your studies. Go where you have ample opportunity for VARIED Residency programs, rotate thru a variety of hospitals...get out in the good med school rotations and SHINE--even if that means traveling to get there. I LOVED TRAVELING! I got in my old Honda CRV, and went across country--a new hospital every month--just for kicks and had a blast. My classmates thought me nuts but the experience was wonderful. I worked Psych on the Reservation in NM, IM and ortho in NC (ski area:) and trauma in NY-Bronx. You will have your choice for Residency if you shine and put 100% into your work and forget everything else. But STAY BALANCED in keeping fit, don't get into the drinking thing, and stay happy.
(I'm a retired Attending Surgeon, US Army wounded in Iraq, giving you my 2cents worth;)

This is... not good advice. Is there a lot of study time in med school? Of course. But implying you'll never have time to see family or they would be a distraction to your studies is just false. I go to school in the same city as my parents live (about 45 minutes away), I see them 1-2x a month, and my mom brings me lots of nice homecooked meals whenever I see her. They'd love to see me more but they're supportive and they get it (and they're not in medicine). If you have a bad relationship with your family then sure, leave, but for most people that feel more comfortable near family, that's not a bad thing at all.

Also you do not work 100 hour weeks in third year, or if you do it's very rare. Most residents don't even work that.

Reactions: 3 users
This is... not good advice. Is there a lot of study time in med school? Of course. But implying you'll never have time to see family or they would be a distraction to your studies is just false. I go to school in the same city as my parents live (about 45 minutes away), I see them 1-2x a month, and my mom brings me lots of nice homecooked meals whenever I see her. They'd love to see me more but they're supportive and they get it (and they're not in medicine). If you have a bad relationship with your family then sure, leave, but for most people that feel more comfortable near family, that's not a bad thing at all.

Also you do not work 100 hour weeks in third year, or if you do it's very rare. Most residents don't even work that.
Thanks everyone I’ve decided to go with UW. Can’t go wrong either way but it just feels right.

Reactions: 4 users