UWash, Columbia, BU- competitiveness?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emgirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just decided I want to apply to MPH programs next year and have been looking at schools' websites but often can't find info for admittance rates, average incoming gpas and gres, etc. I basically just want to know if all my top choice schools are going to be reaches because if they are, I need some back up ones. Does anyone know how hard it is to get into these 3 schools? I'm a WA state resident but all 3 have programs that I think really fit me well in terms of what I'm interested in (Maternal and Child health/reproductive health). Thanks so much for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

emgirl said:
I just decided I want to apply to MPH programs next year and have been looking at schools' websites but often can't find info for admittance rates, average incoming gpas and gres, etc. I basically just want to know if all my top choice schools are going to be reaches because if they are, I need some back up ones. Does anyone know how hard it is to get into these 3 schools? I'm a WA state resident but all 3 have programs that I think really fit me well in terms of what I'm interested in (Maternal and Child health/reproductive health). Thanks so much for your input!

Hihi!

I can't speak for the other schools, but I was admitted to Columbia and they have roughly a 50% admittance:application ratio. Average statistics in terms of GPA, GRE, etc. will vary by department (some are much more competitive than others). I honestly don't know their average stats, since they aren't posted anywhere, but you can PM me if you want to know mine. I'm going to visit on their admit day on 4/1, and when I come back, if you'd like, I should have more information then. I hope this helps!

I just received acceptance to BU this weekend. Let me tell you, my scholastic background is kind of subpar. My overall GPA is right around a 3.0, Last 60 3.95!, GRE 1100, 3 great rec letters. I do have pretty good experience with a couple great non-profits. My undergrad U. is not prestigious.
Overall I think I am fortunate to get in and like you Boston is a great fit for me.

If you figure out how to pay for your MPH please let me know.

Still waiting on Washington.

Hey, have you checked out OHSU?

Members don't see this ad :)
aspiringdoctor9 -- thanks again for replying a long time ago! you're on fire in the MPH forums, haha..i enjoy reading what you have to say.

thockenb -- I'm in your boat pretty much...My GPA isn't stellar either, but I'm in a pretty difficult/competitive major too, and if you just erase ochem and physics my GPA is pretty rockin'! Ah I wish...anyway what non-profits have you worked for?

I've been volunteering here and there with various groups (habitat for humanity, children's group home, etc...) but nothing steady...I'm looking for something long term, which orgs have you volunteered for?

Hihi everyone!

I will be attending Columbia's visit day for admitted students this Friday, April 1st. For those curious as to their average stats and competitiveness, I will try and poke around and ask while I'm there, and post anything I find over the weekend. I hope this helps!

confettiflyer said:
aspiringdoctor9 -- thanks again for replying a long time ago! you're on fire in the MPH forums, haha..i enjoy reading what you have to say.

thockenb -- I'm in your boat pretty much...My GPA isn't stellar either, but I'm in a pretty difficult/competitive major too, and if you just erase ochem and physics my GPA is pretty rockin'! Ah I wish...anyway what non-profits have you worked for?

I've been volunteering here and there with various groups (habitat for humanity, children's group home, etc...) but nothing steady...I'm looking for something long term, which orgs have you volunteered for?

Hihi confettiflyer!

I think that if you want some experience in the public health arena that will help your admissions portfolio along, you might want to look into something based in community-health. While it may not be the specific sub-field you want to go into eventually, this is what I did and when I visited schools, many admissions people told me it was good that I had some exposure to the public health field to see what it really is (2 years worth).

One thing adcoms seem to want to know is that you have a genuine interest in public health, as evidenced by letters of recommendation, your personal statement, and volunteer/work experience. I mentioned community health because many of those places are always looking for volunteers - places like sexual assault counseling centers, planned parenthood, organizations that provide health education/promotion for the young or elderly, etc. I think if you were to do this, you'll be in good shape.

And don't worry about ochem and physics - I had a big fat C+ for my ochem I, and nobody seemed to care too much. Just show an upward trend and many schools will forgive you - they definately did for me too. If you have any questions, write back or PM me! Good luck!