UWash - OOR Mission Matching Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nontrad_FL_LGBT

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So these sorts of schools obviously expect a lot of service, but what are good numbers to aim for for both clinical and non-clinical volunteering? I'm doing clinical volunteering mostly with the LGBT community which has a lot of overlap with homeless and low income and am considering doing something like a part-time non-medical Americorps (luckily have a few positions near my school, something like 1k hours over a year).

Obviously not trying to box check but I don't want to waste the time applying to my dream school as an OOR student if I'm not even in the ballpark.

Members don't see this ad.

So these sorts of schools obviously expect a lot of service, but what are good numbers to aim for for both clinical and non-clinical volunteering? I'm doing clinical volunteering mostly with the LGBT community which has a lot of overlap with homeless and low income and am considering doing something like a part-time non-medical Americorps (luckily have a few positions near my school, something like 1k hours over a year).

Obviously not trying to box check but I don't want to waste the time applying to my dream school as an OOR student if I'm not even in the ballpark.
This is a very interesting choice for a dream school! Any particular reason why, especially coming from the polar opposite end of the country?

You should check out the school specific thread if you have not already done so. In fact, this post probably belongs there. :cool:

It appears as though you are on the right track, but, with respect to wasting your time, the thread reports that the school has something like a 0.3% accept rate for OOR. To me, that means that all OORs are wasting their time. If 3 accepts for every 1,000 OOR applicants is true, I wouldn't waste my time or money, but, of course, YMMV. If you have your heart set on it though, you should definitely take your shot. If you don't expect anything, you won't be disappointed. Good luck!!

I'm service oriented and want to serve the LGBTQ community primarily and rural communities secondarily. I'm a gay trans man from a farm with strong ties to both communities.

Seattle is a great location for both LGBT folks and there's tons of options for rural locations not too far away. A lot of the electives and special programs at the school resonate with me and it's a hub for my husband (software engineer) to improve his career as well. Assuming he can find decent work, we can basically pay off my loans soon after graduation and start doctor life pretty much stress free. I'm also interested in a school that would let me do some interdisciplinary research with computer scientists (I work as an engineer in health tech now and would love to continue doing some research in that universe if possible).

It just makes a lot of sense for us and our family. The main hubs he wants to look toward are PNW, Bay Area, NYC, or TX. I would hate two of those locations and the other two have very strong IS/IR bias. Wish me luck I guess, lol.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Knowing that the entire admissions process is illogical, and especially with UW's clear stance of favoring IS and IR only, you should do as much as possible of what you are passionate about. Hopefully they will like it. Unfortunately, no one here can tell you that if you do 1000 hours - you will get into UW.

I'm service oriented and want to serve the LGBTQ community primarily and rural communities secondarily. I'm a gay trans man from a farm with strong ties to both communities.

Seattle is a great location for both LGBT folks and there's tons of options for rural locations not too far away. A lot of the electives and special programs at the school resonate with me and it's a hub for my husband (software engineer) to improve his career as well. Assuming he can find decent work, we can basically pay off my loans soon after graduation and start doctor life pretty much stress free. I'm also interested in a school that would let me do some interdisciplinary research with computer scientists (I work as an engineer in health tech now and would love to continue doing some research in that universe if possible).

It just makes a lot of sense for us and our family. The main hubs he wants to look toward are PNW, Bay Area, NYC, or TX. I would hate two of those locations and the other two have very strong IS/IR bias. Wish me luck I guess, lol.
I definitely wish you the best of luck!!! :)

All of your reasons sound solid. It just sucks that their policies are so restrictive.

You have as good a shot as any to be among the 0.3%. As long as you know what you are getting into, there is no reason not to try. Just realize, just like the rest of us, that if you are a FL resident, your best shot, by a lot, will be at a FL school. Fortunately, there are a few very decent ones from which to choose. All of your PNW dreams can come true after school. Given their highly restrictive policies, however, med school there is a long shot.

Again, best of luck!!! :)

Definitely agree I won't expect anything and will be overjoyed if something does come of it. Appreciate both inputs and the suggestion about the school thread!