UWash, UCSF, Stanford, Oregon, UCI, Utah, Arizona, UTSW, UTH, info? gen or fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Without considering location, which of these programs would you pick? (2 please)

• UC Irvine

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • Oregon

Votes: 9 13.4%
  • Stanford

Votes: 26 38.8%
  • UCSF

Votes: 35 52.2%
  • Univ of Wash

Votes: 14 20.9%
  • Utah

Votes: 9 13.4%
  • Arizona

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • UTSW

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • Univ of Tex at Houston

Votes: 4 6.0%

• Total voters

redherring

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody have any new or updated info about the environment or conditions at UWash, UCSF, Stanford, Oregon, UCI, Utah, Arizona, UTSW, or UTH? Either the general residency prog or fellowships there.

Also, could you give your general impression of which of these programs is the toughest to get into and what minimum credentials one should have to consider these places.

Sorry to be so general but there is always a chance someone has some "inside" info or helpful hints about programs that would be nice to know about a head of time.

Have a great day.

Members don't see this ad.

In general, I like to think you get a better experience if you do your residency in a place without a bunch of fellows around. This way you are not competing for some of those bigger or more specialized cases. You finish your residency quite comfortable with most everything. And if you are interested in a fellowship, you actually know what the cases are really like (ie peds, neuro, etc). You have done the cases instead of watching the fellow or whatever those programs do when they have fellows. I know others will have different opinions but this is mine for what its worth.
Now, about the programs you listed. I would see who has the least amount of fellows and go there, all other things being equal.

The nice thing about anesthesia is that there are no places that have absolute cut-offs for their programs; this I know personally. If you get AOA, you'll get an invite to most everywhere on that alone. If you're over 220 on step I, you'll get an invite to most everywhere. If you rock Step II, you'll get an invite to most everwhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
bump, apologies for bumping my own thread