1. SDN Mobile is now free on iTunes and on the Google Play Store. Enjoy!
    Dismiss Notice

UWash vs. Drew/UCLA

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by tipukhan, Mar 15, 2004.

1. tipukhan

tipukhan Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. mediocre

mediocre Member
    7+ Year Member

I would say it's pretty much a no-brainer to go to U-Dub. Even here in Chicago we're constantly hearing about all the residency programs on probation or closing at Drew. Med school is hard enough without having to worry whether or not your school or hospital will continue to exist.

However, after med school (just 4 short years!), you will have the opportunity to come back to LA to outstanding residencies at places such as UCLA-Olive View or Harbor UCLA, county hospitals which pride themselves in serving the underserved.

Although you certainly can't beat So Cal for weather and ethnic food and much more, Seattle has it's charms. Best wishes

3. huktonfonix

huktonfonix board certified!
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Are you kidding me. U Wash definitely. Drew is in trouble and has a bad rep for its residencies. I was advised not to even bother applying there as well as USC and LA Harbor although I've heard positive reviews about some of Harbors residencies.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Jalby

Jalby I fight crime at day when Batman are sleeping.
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    I think I'm a little bit hurt.

5. docmemi

docmemi 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

um, dont apply to usc and harbor-ucla. r u kidding me?

6. docmemi

docmemi 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

precisely, the are having trouble with their residency programs and management at the hospital...not the med edu program. the drew/UCLA program is still strong as ever. and i cant emphasize how strong the ties b/w ucla and drew are....drew faculty are also ucla faculty and every event that ucla med has for the students they include drew in (for ex, they just had a senior scholarship day on friday for ms's who do research...the title was (more or less) "Sr Sch Day, Geffen UCLA and CR Drew")

thoughts?

7. docmemi

docmemi 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

ok so this year and in the past drew students have matched in anesth, radiology, optho, EM, etc. those are competitive.

from your experience as ms's, do you think it would be possible for a drew student to get general, plastic or neuro- surgery?

8. docmemi

docmemi 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

bump.

my friend is in the same exact situation. but its hard for her not to choose drew since she has some ties there. tipuk, have u decided yet?

9. Tazmaniac

Tazmaniac 2 min. from a nice nap
    7+ Year Member

U-Wash, all the way. Drew is not UCLA; it had quite a few spots unmatched during match week, which is telling. The hospital is just going down the drain.

Jalby, don't get too loyal to USC. It has some terrible residency programs at LA-County.

-Todd MS-IV USC

10. Jalby

Jalby I fight crime at day when Batman are sleeping.
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    I know. I'm not real interested in those ones.

11. docmemi

docmemi 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

drew/ucla is not king/drew either