UWISC MADISON WAITLIST 2006

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Entrepreneurdoc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I found out that I'm in the "top third" of Madisons alternate list. Eventhough top third... I doubt my chances considering Madison overaccepted last year and took zero applicants from the waitlist. Any thoughts?? Anyone else in the same boat??

Members don't see this ad.

I am in the same boat. I have a feeling there will be movement this year, but I could be wrong.

Did they let you guys know this, or did you give them a ring? It if it is the former, how long did it take for them to get back to you?

Members don't see this ad :)
It came in a regular mailing envelope about 3 weeks after interview. They havent mentioned how many applicants are on the waitlist, but I would think that they would have at least 60 in addition to the many extra seats they give offers to right away.

Anybody hear of movement?? How about those who are ranked (top third)... did you receive a number??? I was told that we should hear by the end of the week where we stand. No word yet for me.

I'm in the same boat, and my hunch is that there won't be any movement. Don't ask why. Beth said the class is filled. :(

medworm said:
I'm in the same boat, and my hunch is that there won't be any movement. Don't ask why. Beth said the class is filled. :(

When did you talk to Beth??? She really said they were filled? I would be willing to bet there are a lot of applicants holding multiple acceptances, with Madison as one of them. THere should be some movement. My hunch is that Madison took a bit more conservative approach to this years pool. I could be wrong though.

Entrepreneurdoc said:
When did you talk to Beth??? She really said they were filled? I would be willing to bet there are a lot of applicants holding multiple acceptances, with Madison as one of them. THere should be some movement. My hunch is that Madison took a bit more conservative approach to this years pool. I could be wrong though.

Hey guys, I was accepted to Madison early this year and talk to Beth and Dean Wall alot. I know that they were very conservative with acceptances this year. I also know at least 10 people who were accepted here that are going else where. I think there will be some movement.

Just wanted to wish you guys luck. I am 99% certain I will be withdrawing from my acceptance (I'm just waiting on the finaid). I hope my spot goes to one of you! I also know a lot of people who are accepted and will be going elsewhere, so keep the faith!

Zzzzzzz. Still waiting here on the top 1/3 (whatever that means). Let me know when you guys hear something. I hope it happens soon! :luck:

Some time this week, they'll send us follow-up letters with our actual waitlist number. For my own good, I'm just gonna be pessimistic. But for everyone else, good luck!! :luck: :luck:

Just found out waitlist .... #50+..... ouch. Praying for movement and lots of it! It sounds like there is something like 80-100 kids ranked.

I just withdrew my app. I was #86. Good luck everyone! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
owenmichael said:
Hey guys, I was accepted to Madison early this year and talk to Beth and Dean Wall alot. I know that they were very conservative with acceptances this year. I also know at least 10 people who were accepted here that are going else where. I think there will be some movement.

That's awesome. I'm like #11 on the waitlist. You sure you only know of 10 people withdrawing? How much do you want for your spot?! Just kidding!!! :D

Tiger26 said:
I'm #66, but I'm going to MCW anyway

Would you go to MCW over Madison if you were accepted to madison? I am trying to decide between the two, and go back and forth everyday...

lexy10 said:
Would you go to MCW over Madison if you were accepted to madison? I am trying to decide between the two, and go back and forth everyday...

I've never been to MCW... I think it depends on the person. I hear Milwaukee's fun. Not sure. Good luck

medworm said:
I think it depends on the person. I hear Milwaukee's fun. Not sure. Good luck

Agree
I live in Milwaukee (but from New Orleans), and like it.
don't know, like madison too...like years 1 and 2 at Madison and 3 and 4 at Milwaukee...can you do that? I wish!

owenmichael said:

hey, do you know if they were just conservative enough to cover the class and not have draw from the waitlist? or are they extra, super-duper conservative and expect to draw from the waitlist?

any idea on how many acceptances went out this year?

judging from last year's excess demand, suddenly i don't feel good about my waitlist number. :(

medworm said:
hey, do you know if they were just conservative enough to cover the class and not have draw from the waitlist? or are they extra, super-duper conservative and expect to draw from the waitlist?

judging from last year's excess demand, suddenly i don't feel good about my waitlist number. :(

Although I haven't heard this explicit and am merely inferring based on what dean wall said, I know that they accepted conservatively so that they expected to take some off the waitlist (instead of overaccepting like last year)
I think you'll be fine but again I'm only inferring.
Again, I know 10 different people not going here (That were accepted) and I know two more that are applying for deferral! Hope this helps.
If I were you I woudl just call and ask. They're pretty helpful and will tel you your chacnes

medworm said:

Hey - I don't know if anyone else noticed, but in the letter it said "we expect FEW waitlist spots to open, as more acceptances have been given than there are spots in the class" .
- I would be willing to bet they offered less than they did last year though.
By the way, how far do schools usually dip into the waitlist? From what I have been reading it sounds like it can vary from 0 - hundreds. What do you guys thinK???

One more thing.... you have to figure that when you are #10 on the waitlist you are really probably like #60-70, because they offer at least 50 -60 more offers than spots in the class.

So, for waitlist movement to occur, you have to have much more than 10-20 people decline.

Getting back to an earlier question, i still think i'd go to mcw over uw because of the block testing system and the ability to do all rotations in the same city. With that said, i've got a friend on the mcw waitlist, so if you go to madison . . . :)

all we can really do is -- wait -- :luck: :luck:

lexy10 said:
I will be. I was accepted at both. Hope you guys get my spot!

i just found out i'm #10+ on the waitlist. after reading all your posts i don't know what to make of it :(
good luck to all. i would love some closure..may 15th..i'm waiting :eek:

post if you're withdrawing! give us hope :) :luck: :luck:

lexy10 said:

This is just my two-cents worth, and you can take it or leave it, but Madison is more highly regarded than MCW. If I had been accepted at both schools, I would take UW. That's just my opinion (and Newsweek's).

Likewise, some might prefer MCW (or a third school) b/c it's closer to home, more metropolitan, a better fit for the student, and so forth. Prestige is just one of many factors that go into the deliberations.

I've been looking for this thread for weeks! I am totally in the same boat; I'm in the top third, however, when I spoke to Beth she said she doubted they would be taking any people off the list since they overshot last year. Grrr! Does anyone know of anyone who got in off the waitlist? What about the past years....

Have any of you guys written any LOIs? Aren't those pretty much pointless if you're on a ranked waitlist?

Somnorexia said:
I've been looking for this thread for weeks! I am totally in the same boat; I'm in the top third, however, when I spoke to Beth she said she doubted they would be taking any people off the list since they overshot last year. Grrr! Does anyone know of anyone who got in off the waitlist? What about the past years....

Have any of you guys written any LOIs? Aren't those pretty much pointless if you're on a ranked waitlist?

Hey Everyone,

I'm in the same boat with Madison... top third. I heard two years ago they went over 30 deep to the waitlist, but last year they took zero.

Somnorexia said:

Thats a good question... Does a LOI even matter if you are on a ranked waitlist?

Anyone plan to call today to check waitlist movement? If so, please post. :)

are any of you guys from out of state? just wondering. :)

coco11 said:
are any of you guys from out of state? just wondering. :)

I'm a MN resident and am on the alternate list.

Sent my withdrawal email yesterday, it was confirmed today. Wisconsin is a really great school. Good luck!

rcmustang65, wow ucsf. congrats! Too bad I wont be seeing you at madison. I love dbz too.

Thanks! It was a really hard decision, University of Wisconsin offers a lot of opportunties and the people are so nice there! Plus Madison is really fun...Halloween, octoberfest, badger games....I hear its a blast make sure you drink a "boot of beer" and try the cheese curds!

Any movement? What's the deal ? Post here if you call or hear anything.

So I sucked it up and called today.. no movement yet they said since it's too close to May 15th, but they said to call back in 10 days to two weeks.........
I also talked to them a little while ago about what my chances were to get in off the waitlist (I'm #12+), and they said they were minimal so yeah, not really feeling too great about this........it seems like that upper third thing means very little (sniffles).

Somnorexia said:
So I sucked it up and called today.. no movement yet they said since it's too close to May 15th, but they said to call back in 10 days to two weeks.........
I also talked to them a little while ago about what my chances were to get in off the waitlist (I'm #12+), and they said they were minimal so yeah, not really feeling too great about this........it seems like that upper third thing means very little (sniffles).

Shucks, would be nice if they just told you whether they overaccepted at all or offered the same # of spots as the class size. And so we wait some more!! :(

medworm said:
post if you're withdrawing! give us hope :) :luck: :luck:
We regret that you will not join our incoming class. Thank you for
informing us of your decision and for your interest in the University
of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health MD degree program.
I wish you the best in your studies in medicine in your school of
choice.
Regards,

Lucy Wall

Hope one of you guys gets in!

ForamenMagnumPI said:
This is just my two-cents worth, and you can take it or leave it, but Madison is more highly regarded than MCW. If I had been accepted at both schools, I would take UW. That's just my opinion (and Newsweek's).
Wasn't enough to make me want to live in Madtown. I like MCW's location and hospital a lot more, and the proximity to family was pretty important.

Yeah, they were pretty vague with all my VERY specific questions, but actually if you read that letter they sent it basically says they overaccepted...question is... by how much. Ahhh.... I feel like from now on is just woodoo.

Congrats prowler. Too bad I wont be seeing you at Madison then. Hope we come across each other in residency though.

I still have hope for UCSD's acceptable pool. If they take me, then you guys here can take my spot at UW-mad.

Somnorexia said:
Yeah, they were pretty vague with all my VERY specific questions, but actually if you read that letter they sent it basically says they overaccepted...question is... by how much. Ahhh.... I feel like from now on is just woodoo.
Everybody overaccepts, even Hah-vud. Keep the faith - they're probably being careful after last year, so I bet they'll dip into the waitlist.