UWorld as an M1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Foot Fetish

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I know that most people say that you should save UWorld for M2, but has anyone started it in their first year with good results? I know it contains lots of pathology that you won't even encounter until M2 at most schools, but I figure it might be good to gain exposure as soon as possible. The only reason I'm asking this is because a 4th year recommended it, saying that they wished they had started UWorld first semester of M1...on the other end of the spectrum, some people say that you should save UWorld for the dedicated board prep time, but I don't subscribe to this since it doesn't fit my personal learning style. I believe a resource as good as UWorld should be used primarily as a content review source, not just a means of testing your knowledge. Indeed, I will definitely start UWorld at the beginning of M2 at the latest...but maybe starting in M1 would be more advantageous? I already plan to follow along in First Aid with my first year courses.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

So, I know that most people say that you should save UWorld for M2, but has anyone started it in their first year with good results? I know it contains lots of pathology that you won't even encounter until M2 at most schools, but I figure it might be good to gain exposure as soon as possible. The only reason I'm asking this is because a 4th year recommended it, saying that they wished they had started UWorld first semester of M1...on the other end of the spectrum, some people say that you should save UWorld for the dedicated board prep time, but I don't subscribe to this since it doesn't fit my personal learning style. I believe a resource as good as UWorld should be used primarily as a content review source, not just a means of testing your knowledge. Indeed, I will definitely start UWorld at the beginning of M2 at the latest...but maybe starting in M1 would be more advantageous? I already plan to follow along in First Aid with my first year courses.

Thoughts?

I would be worried about running out of questions. I was a heavy question utilizer during my dedicated study time and ran through 2 whole question banks including doing uworld 2x. If I see a question and the answer, that question is dead to me. If I try to use it another time I barely get anything from it because I remember the answer without remembering the reasoning why. My second pass at uworld was a giant waste of my time.

Reactions: 1 users

Thoughts?
So, to clarify, you are asking SDN if you should take the advice of a random fourth year over the general consensus of SDN? I think you can guess what SDN thinks the answer is.

My answer is no. Save uworld for second year, ideally not until after Christmas break at the earliest. Use first aid, pathoma, and Google if you are craving out of class resources first year. Maybe usmlerx if you must do questions.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would be worried about running out of questions. I was a heavy question utilizer during my dedicated study time and ran through 2 whole question banks including doing uworld 2x. If I see a question and the answer, that question is dead to me. If I try to use it another time I barely get anything from it because I remember the answer without remembering the reasoning why. My second pass at uworld was a giant waste of my time.
Do you know if UWorld changes from year to year? If someone theoretically had access to copies of a UWorld question bank from a few years ago, would you recommend using that 1st yr? (Or would you recommend using Kaplan or USMLERx, etc?)

Do you know if UWorld changes from year to year? If someone theoretically had access to copies of a UWorld question bank from a few years ago, would you recommend using that 1st yr?

I think it mostly stays the same

Reactions: 2 users

Thoughts?

I vote no. There's a laterality of thought that's probably wasted in first year, especially if you have a more traditional curriculum.

The typical USMLE question is characterised by multi-step reasoning. They don't often ask you to out-and-out regurgitate something, but rather integrate knowledge across disciplines in medicine. UWorld is so good, in part, because it's highly integrative.

For example, Step 1 might give you the key history, physical, and one or two lab findings. Your mind should immediately jump to the causative organism or disease process--but they won't ask about that. That should hopefully be obvious. They'll instead ask about the mode of inheritance, underlying mechanism, pathophysiology, treatment, etc. And sometimes, they'll go even further. So you know the disease, you know the treatment, but what about the most common side effect of the treatment? Or you know the disease, you know the mechanism, but what about another disease with the same mechanism? How do you appreciate that as a MS1?

Here's the thing, you actually can't UWorld your way to success--especially if you're hoping for a really high score. It only works well on a solid background of preexisting knowledge. There's a risk that you'll just memorise UWorld questions without being able to study them at the depth required to succeed on Step 1. Why? Because you won't recognise what's actually important. Plus it's a horribly inefficient way of studying. If you're learning biochemistry, then learn biochemistry--instead of a haphazard hodgepodge from UWorld, where one question is about the urea cycle and next question is about Von Gierke's (which has to do with glycogen storage).

If you're aiming for a really high score, the more questions, the better. I really think USMLERx or Kaplan is your best bet for MS1. Less integrative, more straightforward, better for familiarising yourself with FA. Get the facts down before you start trying to tie them together. Walk before you can run, or whatever cliche you want to use.

And of course, everybody's different, there are exceptions, etc. This is what worked for me and the people I tutored.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Truth is what we say wont matter. You'll buy it and do maybe 100 questions in the first week and then put it down and not look at it again until M2

Reactions: 5 users
Truth is what we say wont matter. You'll buy it and do maybe 100 questions in the first week and then put it down and not look at it again until M2

waste of money to do so, but yeah, people do it

Reactions: 1 user
Terrible idea and huge waste of time and money.

Reactions: 3 users

Thoughts?

He is right about it being a learning tool, but he is vastly underestimating the amount of information he knew at the M1 point. You know why? Because he didn't do what he is advising you to do. OP, there are two types of advice that I never listen to. (I'm only including this because of your history on this forum).

1. Advice given by someone who regrets their scores and gives you a complete hardcore alternative plan to what they did. This is the type of stuff people pull out of their ass without thinking about the amount of strain it requires. Even if they would have gone back, they wouldn't have been able to complete their own advice.

2. Advice given by successful individuals who seem to have some sort of insane, gimmicky, unorthodox methodology that they feel served them well. I see too many people giving intense advice after the fact and grossly overestimating the amount of work they put in in order to make them seem like super hard workers and they feel untouchable about being called out because they just think "I have the score to back up my statements"...oddly enough OP, I can see you being one of the people who would think that sort of reasoning is solid.

----

At least with the USMLE, it's 99% perspiration, 1% inspiration. As in 280*.99 will get you 280...

You seem like someone who spends a great deal of time looking into what will be required in the future. Therefore, I'm sure you've heard you need to use First Aid, Pathoma, and UWorld in second year and memorize those resources. More importantly, it's best to focus hard core on classes. That's all you need to do. It's that simple. Don't adopt some alternative strategy. It just won't end well for you.
------

Unless your school is completely integrative (in that you learn pathology right away) starting Uworld is a complete waste of time and is something one would do because they are super anxious about classes and are looking for something to do that will make them feel better about their preparation.

You need to focus on classes. They are a much better use of time and Step changes every year with questions not covered in any review book. On top of that, even in NBMEs, I often find myself recalling an answer to something just because someone said something about it in all the way back in first year anatomy.

Also, you know what First Aids actually do when they update? They basically take their previous versions and then talk to students about what appeared and just add those facts to the next edition. Too bad you'll be using FA 2018 and not FA 2019 on your exam.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Dude just stop studying your class work. Start doing Uworld x2 during M1 with firecracker, bros Anki, and all of usmlerx question bank. Just start now and you'll get a 300!

But seriously, everything you'll hear from everyone is going to be different. The people that do best don't have a secret. They just really know the material. Usually that means just learn your class material really well. Throwing around 100 resources is going to f you in the butt. Just focus on class material. You can add first aid as a review source just to get used to it.

Quit being an anal med student and just focus on class work.

Studying with questions first year is a good idea.

Studying with uworld is not. It defeats the purpose of uworld and figuring out if you can "put it all together."

If you want to do questions, find the question books correlating with your textbooks.

Reactions: 4 users
Uworld is most important for content, but it also is the best (and only way in my opinion) to improve your test taking skills. Doing random blocks, timed will allow you to get the pace and endurance to do the blocks on the real test.

Step 1, I did uworld for content, did it by systems (similar to my curriculum) but found that I became fatigued and I was slow on exam day.

Step 2, I did uworld blocks always on timed random mode. My score went up significantly.

The difference? It wasn't that I knew the content better on step 2. I knew stuff well enough for step 1 (had a great GPA, excellent NBMEs, etc.), it was the test style and timing itself that hurt me. Although I was happy with my score, I should have done better. Save uWorld, but just allow yourself enough time to get through all of it at a pace so that you can review all the answers at least once. Using it during M1 will be using it to basically teach yourself the material. That is the job of your professors.. uWorld is meant as a review.

Last edited:
Studying with questions first year is a good idea.

Studying with uworld is not. It defeats the purpose of uworld and figuring out if you can "put it all together."

If you want to do questions, find the question books correlating with your textbooks.

I bought a $5 used copy of Robbins Review of Pathology. Amazing QBank to go along with Papa Robbins and Dr Najeeb, because all three tie together amazing well.

Focus on doing well on your school's content for the first year. If you want to dabble with a qbank, play around with USMLERx. The only board review source I would recommend including into your regimen very early is pathoma. You can pretty much use it to pre read any path related lecture and it his high yield for the time it consumes. I'm an advocate of starting board studying pretty early but I would never recommend starting until early second year or maybe the summer right before second year.

Always be cautious when getting advice from upper classmen.

Agree with the above.

The only thing you should be doing as an M1 is going through First Aid along with your classes. If you learn better through questions do USMLE Rx instead.