Uworld MSK anatomy questions: Harder than the anatomy on the real thing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ImScrewedForUsmle

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just made an account because I feel screwed for anatomy for Step 1. I just studied MSK and did U world MSK questions and there's tons of anatomy questions/explanations not in FA.

Like things that go out of the greater sciatic foramen for example.

I have FAP. but I don't have a resource that could prepare me for U world level anatomy questions.

Main Question: Are the U world MSK anatomy questions anything like the real thing?

They so much harder that it's worthless to Anki/memorize the explanation, they harder, they the same, they easier (probably not)?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Just made an account because I feel screwed for anatomy for Step 1. I just studied MSK and did U world MSK questions and there's tons of anatomy questions/explanations not in FA.

I have FAP. but I don't have a resource that could prepare me for U world level anatomy questions.

Main Question: Are the U world MSK anatomy questions anything like the real thing?

They so much harder that it's worthless to Anki/memorize the explanation, they harder, they the same, they easier (probably not)?

Thanks.
They are, but the problem is there is so much anatomy that can be asked that you may find yourself relying on 1st year anatomy knowledge. At least thats how my exam was

Anything I could do about it if my 1st year anatomy knowledge is shot? Any anki decks/resources you'd recommend for step anatomy or is just sticking to FA and trying to memorize all the insertions+origins/nerve tracts/random things in U World enough.

Anything I could do about it if my 1st year anatomy knowledge is shot? Any anki decks/resources you'd recommend for step anatomy or is just sticking to FA and trying to memorize all the insertions+origins/nerve tracts/random things in U World enough.
In my opinion, unless you have months to study, it is most likely not worth your time to try to relearn anatomy from a review book like BRS or what have you. Uworld/FA could probably get you through 50-75% of the Qs. Keep in mind ive only taken step 1 once so Im in no way an expert.

Uworld does a good job of showing you that anatomy can be a difficult topic, but apart from MSK anatomy it doesnt do a great job of showing you everything there is to know.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd recommend Youtubing any anatomy that you can be iffy on. It's much quicker and more direct than relearning anatomy.

And yes, UWorld anatomy questions are more difficult than the actual thing.

I'd recommend Youtubing any anatomy that you can be iffy on. It's much quicker and more direct than relearning anatomy.

And yes, UWorld anatomy questions are more difficult than the actual thing.
Thats just not true. It entirely depends on the exam you get.

Thats just not true. It entirely depends on the exam you get.

Yeah, the quality and quantity of anatomy on Step 1 seems to be very variable. I had one particular MSK anatomy question on my exam that was very challenging, which basically required you to look at an MRI and delineate a particular structure. There were a few other MSK anatomy questions on my test, but they were far more clinically oriented (i.e., could derive answer from patient presentation), and therefore, not as difficult. However, I spoke with other people who had far more MSK anatomy questions than I did, so there's no way of knowing what you're going to be presented with.

I wouldn't go overboard trying to relearn anatomy for this test. Maybe a few YouTube videos and High Yield Anatomy in addition to UWorld, but that's it. There are more fruitful ways to spend your limited study time.

Reactions: 1 user

Thanks.

Anatomy on Step 1 is exactly as it is on the NBMEs (they are actual, retired USMLE questions). Most are easy. But like in any subject, occasionally a left-field one can pop up. Neuroanatomy has a tendency to be difficult on the NBMEs/USMLE.