UWorld vs Actual Step 1 Score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

colts

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It would be awesome if people would post their UWorld average percent correct and their actual Step I score.

Also, if people could indicate whether that score was their first pass, second pass, etc.

Also, how many times in total did you do UWorld?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
currently at 80% 1st pass, completed about 500 questions, so i would hope that would equate a really good score, as a 250 or higher

currently at 80% 1st pass, completed about 500 questions, so i would hope that would equate a really good score, as a 250 or higher

It would depend how you are using it. For example, I am using it as I go through a given block rather than all subjects at once. Way higher score than random blocks.

From what I've seen here, the "UW% x 2.3 + 84" formula is the one with closer predicted score vs actual score.

Don't know how would it work after your 2nd run, though. I finished my first run with an overall 60%, then waited about a month and just finished the 2nd run with an 89% today.

God knows how to interpret that, but certainly not with the original formula. Maybe something in between... meh. Guess the best way is just taking a UWSA or NBME after UW 1st run.

STUDY TIME 6 WEEKS

materials:

FIRST AID
GOLJAN AUDIO - KIDNEY LECTURE
USMLEWORLD
USMLERx
JAMES FIX - NEURO

Scores
USMLERx predicted score: 248
UWORLD percent: overall 69%, started 55%, last 10 blocks 72%, low: 55%, high 82%
FORM 7: 224 (2 weeks until exam)
FORM 12: 242 (6 days until exam)

ACTUAL Score: 247

Reactions: 1 user
STUDY TIME 6 WEEKS

materials:

FIRST AID
GOLJAN AUDIO - KIDNEY LECTURE
USMLEWORLD
USMLERx
JAMES FIX - NEURO

Scores
USMLERx predicted score: 248
UWORLD percent: overall 69%, started 55%, last 10 blocks 72%, low: 55%, high 82%
FORM 7: 224 (2 weeks until exam)
FORM 12: 242 (6 days until exam)

ACTUAL Score: 247

That's a nice jump from 7 to 12 in about a week. Did you just revise FA? how does 7 compare to 12? is it easier, harder?

That's a nice jump from 7 to 12 in about a week. Did you just revise FA? how does 7 compare to 12? is it easier, harder?

honestly felt the same.. i thought the curve on form 7 was too tight.. form 12 was pretty accurate for my actual test... the most important thing i think that i did was take it easy the first few days before the exam.. it was killing me, i wanted to study but i just watched hulu movies / tv shows for 24 hours before the test... i felt like things were leaking from my brain but i was wrong -- it was resting me and allowing me to perform at my best! everyone is different though :)

Members don't see this ad :)
After reading everyone's scores for the last year and a half, I've noticed a rough benchmark to be mid-high 70s in the last 5 sections taken --> 250. (obviously, there are exceptions like above. but this is a safe goal to set for yourself)

Note that your score variability also has to be small as well. ie if you're scoring 80s and 60s, your score might be in the 70s but this means you have pretty wide variation in your knowledge base; on exam day you might kill it or get totally boned.

After reading everyone's scores for the last year and a half, I've noticed a rough benchmark to be mid-high 70s in the last 5 sections taken --> 250. (obviously, there are exceptions like above. but this is a safe goal to set for yourself)

Note that your score variability also has to be small as well. ie if you're scoring 80s and 60s, your score might be in the 70s but this means you have pretty wide variation in your knowledge base; on exam day you might kill it or get totally boned.

agree with this

Didn't want to start a new thread. I should get massive response just based on that. lol

Uworld 1st pass: Done random (low 50 %), system wise (high 60s %) = 57%

After that couple of passes of FA with pathoma. Last pass was 3 weeks ago. Currently doing another pass of fa and pathoma before DIT etc.

2nd pass of Uworld: 20% of the questions complete. All done in TIMED, RANDOM MODE. I am at 65%. Should i be worried even tho 65% trtranslates to a 236 according to the "formula" and other usmle score correlations..

Well, those correlations are meant to correlate to your first pass. I don't think anybody can predict anything based on your performance on the second pass. You'd have to use a different Qbank to get any reliable prediction.

I'll got out on a limb here and just say, take an NBME. They're the best predictor of your score anyway. QBanks aren't representative. Either because it's your second pass and have seen the questions. Or, maybe you've improved from the beginning, but your overall average remains lower than your current "state of preparedness". You should be using QBanks as helpful review tools to solidify important facts and concepts. And, on random blocks, to keep you integrating all the organ system/systems even when you aren't studying them all in a specific day.

NBME is a simulated snapshot of what your real test would be like if you took it today. Much better predictor all around.

Well, those correlations are meant to correlate to your first pass. I don't think anybody can predict anything based on your performance on the second pass. You'd have to use a different Qbank to get any reliable prediction.

Well I am not too worried about a particular percentage translating into a particular 3 digit score. I am just trying to do as many questions as possible and learn from my mistake and from faulty thought process. Percentage is of little relevance as long as I am approaching the questions in a correct way and going through my thought process of eliminating and answering questions. But I am not sure.

I did 27% of usmlerx system wise and it was predicting a 216. However, right now my knowledge is a lot better. I don't have enough time to finish usmlerx, uworld and keep reviewing.

I'll got out on a limb here and just say, take an NBME. They're the best predictor of your score anyway. QBanks aren't representative. Either because it's your second pass and have seen the questions. Or, maybe you've improved from the beginning, but your overall average remains lower than your current "state of preparedness". You should be using QBanks as helpful review tools to solidify important facts and concepts. And, on random blocks, to keep you integrating all the organ system/systems even when you aren't studying them all in a specific day.

NBME is a simulated snapshot of what your real test would be like if you took it today. Much better predictor all around.

Agree. I do feel a lot more confident because I have seen entire material multiple times now so I know I can figure out an answer on u world or can reason it out. On average I recognize 1 to 2 questions per block which is not a whole lot.

I am sure I have improved and especially because now ( 20% of qbank) has been done in random timed mode and I am having to integrate information which u reviewed 3 weeks ago.

FYI, first pass of uworld was done in tutored mode.

Bump...

Can people continue posting their Uworld average and step 1 score?

I am stuck in the high 50s in Uworld and I want to see if there is any chances I can get 220+ on step1.

Reactions: 3 users
I don't have my real score yet, but I'll update this post when I do in a couple weeks.

UWorld (first pass, timed, random)
  • First 15 blocks - 70%
  • Last 15 blocks - 84%
  • Cumulative average - 78%
  • NBME 17 for reference - 249

Reactions: 1 user
I don't have my real score yet, but I'll update this post when I do in a couple weeks.

UWorld (first pass, timed, random)
  • First 15 blocks - 70%
  • Last 15 blocks - 84%
  • Cumulative average - 78%
  • NBME 17 for reference - 249

Geeze, what was your trick? I am sitting about 73-74% and have only 600 questions left. (all random and timed). I don't think I do a second pass and just start with usmlerx or something as I feel the more questions the better.

Geeze, what was your trick? I am sitting about 73-74% and have only 600 questions left. (all random and timed). I don't think I do a second pass and just start with usmlerx or something as I feel the more questions the better.

Not sure why I did so well, there's something about UWorld questions that seems intuitive to me. When I didn't know an answer, they usually gave enough information in the vignette for me to use process of elimination and make a solid educated guess. But as nice as it was to see those UWorld scores, I don't think it reflected my performance on the real deal. Just reading around on various forums, it seems like people scoring 85%+ on the last few blocks of UWorld are routinely cracking the 250s-260s, but as you can tell from my NBME 17 score I was struggling to hit 250 (not that I'm complaining about that though :) ).

I also agree that more questions are better! I'd go with Kaplan since those questions tend to be more difficult than USMLE-RX