UWSA 1,2, and NBMEs left

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hyrule

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Got less than 3 weeks left. So far,only taken NBME 5 around 3-4 weeks ago. I'm thinking of doing a a UWSA and maybe 2 NBMEs. Thinking of doing NBME 6 and 7 since they've been tried and tested. Not sure whether to do 11 and 12 instead. Any suggestions? Also is it worth it to do both UWSAs .. AND 2 NBMEs? I mean, seems like overkill to me. But I'll do them if it actually helps in learning .. rather than just showing where you stand.

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely do 7 at some point; it's supposed to be the best predictor. Don't do it within less than a week of your exam though so you can brush up on any subjects that it showed weakness in.

do you guys go over the UWSA? do they tell you which questions you got wrong and provide na explanation? thanks!

do you guys go over the UWSA? do they tell you which questions you got wrong and provide na explanation? thanks!

yea they give you questions and and answers and explanations. I didnt find the time to go over them, but would probably definitely help.

OP, I thought nmbe 6 was a pretty terrible test. Im gonna do 7 tomorrow, so we'll see how that goes, but Ive heard better things about it.

In general I have liked the UW exams better than NBME exams, regardless of which is better for predicting scores. I feel the questions are harder, more conceptual....they make you think, which is what I imagine the real deal will be like. A lot of the NBME questions are one liners of random factoids that you either know or you dont, that have nothing to do with a clinical presentation. Maybe 7 will be different. I think if you do both UWs and 2 NBMEs, you'll be golden. I dont think its a bad idea to substitute 6 with either 11 or 12.

Members don't see this ad :)
Looking at the Step I experiences thread... and there are so many people that score 250+ on UWSAs and end up with 20 points lower on the real deal. And there are also people who score in the 240s and have ended up with 250+ on the real deal.

So maybe do it for extra questions... but not as a score predictor?

Looking at the Step I experiences thread... and there are so many people that score 250+ on UWSAs and end up with 20 points lower on the real deal. And there are also people who score in the 240s and have ended up with 250+ on the real deal.

So maybe do it for extra questions... but not as a score predictor?

Yea. They don't seem to be as accurate as NBMEs, but I think they have better questions. And you can learn from them. I havent taken the test yet, so i can't tell you which ones were more representative. But I would hope they were more like Uworlds.

So since we've established which, what about order?

If someone were going to take UWSA 1, 2 and NBME's 7,11 and 12, would it be best to do them in that order listed?

I'm on the same boat as OP...wanted to ask - whats the deal with NBME 11 and 12? Are they good substitutes for NBME 5,6,7? My exam is before May 17th - which is when I think they are introducing more immunology questions...so is it better to take the older NBMEs (5,6,7) or will NBME 11 and 12 be more helpful?

Thanks!

took nbme 7 today. thought it was a really well done exam. Good distribution of questions, very few one liners, conceptual questions. I think its definitely worth taking. NBME 6 on the other hand, I thought was pretty terrible. So, I would substitue 11 or 12 for 6, but definitely keep 7.