UWSOM 11/29 Interviewees

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LoveableCoconut

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone on SDN that interviewed at the University of Washington School of Medicine on Thursday, November 29th?

Members don't see this ad.

No, but I interviewed on the 20th. The EXCOM met yesterday so as I understand it if you were accepted or waitlisted you should get an e-mail on monday or tuesday from them. They told me that rejections are only snail-mailed. I am very anxious to hear from them. How did your interview go?

I interviewed on the 4th, and I am very anxious to find out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I actually received the email yesterday (I got in), and I was wondering how other people in my interviewing group did. I met some pretty cool people during my interview, so I'm hoping they also received good news.

Really, what time did you get the e-mail because I called (being neurotic)and they told me that they were meeting all the way till five and would send out e-mails next week. :scared:

I met some really cool people too. This was actually the nicest group of people I inteviewed with anywhere which is a big selling point for me.

Out of curiosity. Are there any schools that could convince any of you to go anywhere but U-dub?
I think if I got in there its pretty much a done deal for me.

Really, what time did you get the e-mail because I called (being neurotic)and they told me that they were meeting all the way till five and would send out e-mails next week. :scared:

I met some really cool people too. This was actually the nicest group of people I inteviewed with anywhere which is a big selling point for me.

Out of curiosity. Are there any schools that could convince any of you to go anywhere but U-dub?
I think if I got in there its pretty much a done deal for me.

I received my email at 8:41 PM EST; it was sent by Dr. Tom Norris, the chairman of the EXCOM. He was also one of the people on my panel interview.

UW is definitely an amazing school, but I'm from CA so if I got into UCSF, I'd have second thoughts about going to UW.

Thanks for the info.
What a bummer. :eek:I figured I was good until monday. Maybe they just did not get around to all of them.
I can't complain though, I just got my first acceptance yesterday and I'm really stoked.
Anyone have input or opinions about Wake Forest?

Is there a big tuition difference between Cali in state and Washington out of state? The bay area is also outrageously expensive but I guess seattle is not cheap either.
What would be your other reasons for choosing UCSF?

I interviewed on 11/29 and agree that it was a great group. I haven't heard anything yet though. Hope that doesn't mean a rejection.

I'm really hoping so too. If it makes you feel any better I called on Friday and Mona siad that e-mails wil be sent out monday or tuesday for this EXCOM. I was also told that waitlist and acceptance are the only ones who get e-mails.

Is there a big tuition difference between Cali in state and Washington out of state? The bay area is also outrageously expensive but I guess seattle is not cheap either.
What would be your other reasons for choosing UCSF?

Although there is a substantial difference between UW's OOS and UCSF's IS tuitions, I'll qualify for UW's IS tuition after 1 year. Ultimately resulting in a lower financial burden if I choose to attend UW.

True, living in SF can be expensive, but you just need to know where to look and who to ask to find very reasonable housing. I'm sure the housing rates have changed since I moved last year, but I feel the housing situation in Seattle may be only slightly better.

My main reasons for potentially feeling torn if I also get into UCSF are that my family lives in CA, I highly respect UCSF (I used to work there), I love the bay area, and I feel the two programs are comparable.

I interviewed on 11/29 and agree that it was a great group. I haven't heard anything yet though. Hope that doesn't mean a rejection.

Hey ruraldr. I wish you luck!!!

Were you an in-state applicant?

If you're wondering who I am, I was the brown, bald guy wearing a pink tie. Feel free to PM me if you want to chat in more detail (and that goes for anyone else who was part of the 11/29 interview group).

I wouldn't worry yet. I received a handwritten note on the Sat. following the EXCOM meeting (in early Nov.) from the person who represented me during the meeting. I am sure that some people find out in advance because they had a SUPER nice interviewer who sympathized with the stress that can be caused by waiting all weekend, but I am sure that most people will find out on Monday be email.

I am sure you'll hear good news soon!

Members don't see this ad :)
Last group got an email around 4pm on their day. Could take several hours to find out....

I have not heard yet though....and im on the east coast...killing me...

Just got an email. I was put on the post-interview hold:

Dear xxx,

This notice is intended to bring you up to date on the status of
your application to the University of Washington School of Medicine.
After evaluation of your interview and academic record, the Executive
Committee of the Committee on Admissions considers you to be part of
a pool of applicants who will remain under consideration. Last
year 39% of the applicants who received this letter were eventually
accepted or put on an alternate list. You may expect a definite
decision regarding the final status of your application no later than
the first week of April 2008. At this
point, however, we are unable to
indicate what your chances for eventual acceptance or alternate
placement are.

We realize that this uncertainty may compound your stress and
frustration with the admissions process, but it is important that
additional candidates go through the evaluation process. Then the
Committee will review your file again and a final decision will be
made. This letter will be the only notice you receive until that
time. All final decisions will be sent via regular mail.

Frustrating!

continued status for me as well. (sigh)

So what exactly does this continued status mean ? Is it LOI time for us or should we just cross our arms and wait. I have one other acceptance but I want to go to UW pretty bad. Anybody know how this works?
:confused:

So what exactly does this continued status mean ? Is it LOI time for us or should we just cross our arms and wait. I have one other acceptance but I want to go to UW pretty bad. Anybody know how this works?
:confused:

I'm curious as well. They say in the email that 39% eventually get accepted or put on the alternate list...but who cares about the alternate list: how many get accepted? There email also indicates that they will interview many more people before they even look at our applications again...what does this mean, I mean, bottom line: what is my chance of getting accepted to UWSOM?

I think I'm going to try to e-mail my excom member and see if I can get any input on what I can do to address any concerns the committee may have had.UW does have an e-mail directory after all. Do you think this is ill advised?
I don't see how continuing to show interest can hurt us.

BTW the next EXCOM is not until mid january. I think we will probably be included in each one until we are either rejected, accepted or heaven forbid ...waitlisted....again.

Is anyone on SDN that interviewed at the University of Washington School of Medicine on Thursday, November 29th?
i interviewed on 11/29 too!
& just got wait-listed. bummer. :(
here's to the beginning of what sounds like it's going to be a long, long wait.

congrats to you, loveable coconut!

i interviewed on 11/29 too!
& just got wait-listed. bummer. :(
here's to the beginning of what sounds like it's going to be a long, long wait.

congrats to you, loveable coconut!

Thanks bleedingheart!

Don't give up hope!!

I think I'm going to try to e-mail my excom member and see if I can get any input on what I can do to address any concerns the committee may have had.UW does have an e-mail directory after all. Do you think this is ill advised?
I don't see how continuing to show interest can hurt us.

I was recently put in the hold pile as well. Have you gone through with this idea? Anything new?

[pj];6072543 said:
I was recently put in the hold pile as well. Have you gone through with this idea? Anything new?

I was put in the competitive pool last year. I sent the admissions committee two or three letters concerning my continued interest in the UWSOM and what I had been up to since my interview. They accepted me, so I don't think sending letters expressing interest and sharing updates is a bad thing.

awwwwwwww...it's the loveable coconut!!!!

Did anyone else get this email? I was placed on continued hold:

"Thank you for your patience as the University of Washington School of Medicine continues the admissions process.

A final decision has not been made on your application yet, but we are pleased to inform you that you are still being considered for admission. If there have been any significant accomplishments that you would like the Admissions Committee to consider (article published, honor received, etc.), please email an update to [email protected].

If you have any questions or concerns in the next few months, please feel free to contact our office."

This is a roller coaster. I don't think the UWSOM ADCOMS realize what happens to me when I see I have an email from them. The anticipation of opening it knowing that it could be an acceptance and the heart-wrenching feeling of seeing continued status.

"Thank you for your patience as the University of Washington School of Medicine continues the admissions process.

A final decision has not been made on your application yet, but we are pleased to inform you that you are still being considered for admission. If there have been any significant accomplishments that you would like the Admissions Committee to consider (article published, honor received, etc.), please email an update to [email protected].

If you have any questions or concerns in the next few months, please feel free to contact our office."

This is a roller coaster. I don't think the UWSOM ADCOMS realize what happens to me when I see I have an email from them. The anticipation of opening it knowing that it could be an acceptance and the heart-wrenching feeling of seeing continued status.

This is an additional email to the post-interview email?

I've gotten the same email..... *sigh*

I want in!!!!!

Best of luck

[pj];6089856 said:
This is an additional email to the post-interview email?

Yeah, just received it.

yep, i received it too. yay us, we didn't get rejected!!

i have good news for everyone on hold though.. i recently met with an admissions officer & she informed me that they've rejected more applicants up-front than ever before, so there are far fewer of us wait-listers, hence we have better chances than last year's 39% estimate!

good luck everyone.. i know the waiting is brutal, but i think it will pay off. :)

I got the same email...and am crossing my fingers for an eventual acceptance. :)

Hope to be in class with you all next Fall!

yep, i received it too. yay us, we didn't get rejected!!

i have good news for everyone on hold though.. i recently met with an admissions officer & she informed me that they've rejected more applicants up-front than ever before, so there are far fewer of us wait-listers, hence we have better chances than last year's 39% estimate!

good luck everyone.. i know the waiting is brutal, but i think it will pay off. :)

*crosses fingers*

I'm still holding on to hope! I feel good things will happen!!!!! :love: :rolleyes:

I also interviewed on the 29th. I got my acceptance email yesterday and I am so unbelievably excited!

I also interviewed on the 29th. I got my acceptance email yesterday and I am so unbelievably excited!

Oh, the wait is killing me! Congrats though, I hope I hear the same good news. When is their next meeting? Has anyone else heard anything after the last round of emails? (I was placed on continued status again!)

Concubine-

Don't expect to hear anything until March 31st. The continued status thing is regular and it is very rare that people get off that list before the final EXCOM meeting. It's a killer. I was in the same group as you, interviewed on 11/19. Found out on Dec. 10 that I would wait til March to hear from them. I did this all last year, only to find out that I got rejected in March. Good news is that they are putting less people in the wait pool, and have 20 more spots (Spokane site) to offer this year...both pluses if you're in our shoes (though not as good as already being in).....

When March 31st rolls around, let's hope you and I will be looking for new housing in Seattle in August.

Correction: Let's hope all of us are looking for Seattle housing come March 31st...

2 more months. It will go quick, trust me..... the more time you spend on here, the slower the time goes....go enjoy life!!!

As a fellow 11/29 interviewee, congrats Dulcet! That is wonderful news. :) I'm still in the continued boat--and hope that I'll be able to join you at the UW next year.

I have also been in the continued pile from, maybe, early October. I sent them an update letter, indicating my high interest and letting them know what I'd been doing since my AMCAS application. I was accepted 2 weeks later (just yesterday). Don't know if that was a coincidence or not. Good luck everyone! *Everyone rushes to compose an update letter*