UWSOM vs UCSD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redeMDtion

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I can use some advice here. I am torn between UWSOM and UCSD. Both amazing institutions and I would be happy at either of them.

At UWSOM I'd be paying out of state tuition. At UCSD, I'll be instate and would rack on much less debt. I know at the end both will give me the MD but and I'll be able to pay off the debt - not a problem. What I'm hoping to gain insight on is whether it'll be worth going to UWSOM and pay OOR tuition over going to UCSD. Is UWSOM so amazing that you would? Thank you in advance for your feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Umm... this is the DO forum. Loll. But UCSD all the way!!!! Ranking wise they're very close also (UW is 12 and UCSD is 18).

This is a no-brainer though. For sure UCSD unless you live in Seattle and want to be close to family there

Pick UCSD!!! Went there for undergrad, amazing school, p-e-r-f-e-c-t location, perfect weather (I'm from Vancouver and it rains here all the time, for that matter, it rains in Seattle all the time too..it's really annoying), great campus/profs; I mean I was undergraduate tho, however, the two schools are ranked pretty close together, so....pick UCSD!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Pick UCSD!!! Went there for undergrad, amazing school, p-e-r-f-e-c-t location, perfect weather (I'm from Vancouver and it rains here all the time, for that matter, it rains in Seattle all the time too..it's really annoying), great campus/profs; I mean I was undergraduate tho, however, the two schools are ranked pretty close together, so....pick UCSD!

You're right, I forgot to even mention the weather.

As far as weather and city, I'd be happy at both places. Both are great cities to live in. What I'm trying to gain a sense of is which one would be a greater opportunity. My goal is to sub-specialize into CT surgery. And I often hear about how UW has a primary care focus. But does that mean there will be relatively less opportunity support for sub-specializing?

Also, in the eyes of program directors, which school is seen as more prestigious?

As far as weather and city, I'd be happy at both places. Both are great cities to live in. What I'm trying to gain a sense of is which one would be a greater opportunity. My goal is to sub-specialize into CT surgery. And I often hear about how UW has a primary care focus. But does that mean there will be relatively less opportunity support for sub-specializing?

Also, in the eyes of program directors, which school is seen as more prestigious?

when do you have to decide by? it's it getting late lol

Here is something for prestige that I dug up for you. Seems like U Wash is higher on these lists

Do you have a Compass login (the paid subscription)? If so I can direct you to see the exact actual values. If you just want the list of top few dozen names:

Harvard, Hopkins, UCSF
Stanford, Penn
WashU, Duke, Columbia
Michigan
Cornell, UCLA, U of Wash, Vandy
Northwestern, Yale
Baylor, Emory, U Chicago, Pitt
Mayo
UTSW, UVA
NYU, Oregon, UCSD, UNC
Brown, Case Western, Dartmouth, Gtown, Sinai, Rochester, USC, U of Wisconsin
Indiana, Tufts, Colorado, Iowa, U of Minnesota
Boston U, Ohio State, U of Alabama, Wake Forest, U of Utah
Miami, Einstein

There is also a peer score where it was other med schools rating instead of PDs:

Harvard, Hopkins, UCSF
Stanford
WashU
Penn
Columbia, Duke, Michigan, U of Wash, Yale
Vandy
Cornell, UCLA, U Chicago
Northwestern, UNC, Pitt, UTSW
Emory, UCSD
Mayo
Baylor, NYU, Colorado, Iowa, Wisconsin
Sinai, Oregon, Alabama, UVA
Case Western, Dartmouth, Minnesota, Rochester
Brown, Indiana, Ohio State, USC

You do see some big departures from Research Rank, like how relatively lower NYU is by reputation (still very solid of course!)

also, im curious, but shouldn't you have needed to decide by now????

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Here is something for prestige that I dug up for you. Seems like U Wash is higher on these lists

also, im curious, but shouldn't you have needed to decide by now????

This is great stuff! Thank you so the first list is ranking by PDs?

Regarding your question- before the April deadline I was accepted to one and waitlisted to the other.

This is great stuff! Thank you so the first list is ranking by PDs?

Regarding your question- before the April deadline I was accepted to one and waitlisted to the other.

yes, I believe the first list is ranking from PDs and the second is the peer score from other med schools.

Personally, I was surprised that U of Wash was higher on both lists (it's probably my regional bias being from Cali), but congrats that's awesome that you have two great choices!

I have also heard of U of Wash's strength in primary care, but I don't think going to U of Wash will limit you in anyway if you're interested in sub-specializing. Clearly, they have a strong reputation based off the ranking from efle and I am sure that'll help open doors (granted you meet the other criteria) at places across the nation. I really think this decision comes down to the other factors, like where do you really see yourself being the happiest, did you find yourself clicking with students at either school, etc.

Edit: Would you be able to share the difference in CoA?

Last edited:
Both are great institutions with a lot of research. Both are public institutions on the west coast. Roughly they are comparable, with perhaps a slight overall "prestige" win to UW although this will vary as you get more granular and look at different department strengths. UW is responsible for the WWAMI program and is a larger center. Neither will hold you back.
If the cost difference is large, I would go with the cheaper option. If the cost difference is small, I would go with whichever one you felt happier with.