VA=EM Hell?

Discussion in 'Emergency Medicine' started by TyRay Banks, Apr 24, 2007.

1. TyRay Banks

TyRay Banks Warrior Princess

Resident [Any Field]
    So, as I'm trying to avoid finishing up my charting, I'm wondering: I've seen lots of job offers for VA EM spots, but I've only ever seen moonlighting internists. Do any EM-boarded docs ever work there? It seems like it would be a dismal job, without any fun or variety.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. bulgethetwine

bulgethetwine Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

Interesting question.

I've actually never seen a lot of jobs advertised in the VA system. A few here and there, but far from a lot, and certainly less than 1% of the jobs I see advertised.

Pros of a VA job? Benefits... in terms of insurance, stat holidays etc. Disads? Well, typically, acute trauma goes to the nearest trauma center. I don't know of any VAs that are designated as primary trauma centers. So by definition, I think taking a VA job means you're effectively taking an acute care/urgent care center. I could be wrong though, and would like to hear contrarian points of view. Also, some VAs don't even HAVE an emergency department (Charleston, S.C. comes to mind).

4. AmoryBlaine

AmoryBlaine the last tycoon
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician

The VA where I rotated only had an "ER" because that was what the moonlighting IM fellows called it. There were actually VA IM docs who did mostly "ER" shifts and referred to themselves as "ER docs" but that's a different story. It was pretty funny because you could often guess what fellowship the staff doc was in by his DDx, but that is also another story.

Anyway, it was totally an urgent care center. They did take chest pain (what VA could not?) but I strongly doubt that they even did laceration repair.

5. southerndoc

southerndoc life is good
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The VA hospital in my city has an ED. One of our attendings in our community hospital moonlights there. He's offered to get me a moonlighting job there if I want.

6. SolidGold

SolidGold Florida winters are the best!
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Not really related but an interesting tid bit: the pysch (yeah, pysch) and possibly IM residents (but never met any) here can moonlight and get 1k per 12 hour shift at the VA here. It so happens that Tampa has the busiest VA in the country, or so they claim. The EM residents don't get a chance from what I understand.

7. IntheDraft6

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I did my medicine and surg rotations at a VA. The ER was staffed by fellows and the medicine chiefs to pick up some extra money. This was in NY, so residents weren't technically allowed to moonlight. When I did my surg rotation, we were constantly called down to suture simple lacs and take out sutures. It seemed like a huge waste of time for the surg residents.

8. bulgethetwine

bulgethetwine Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

At many VAs - particularly those that are physically close to the major academic "mecca" - the ED is often staffed by paid, moonlighting IM residents and fellows. But ED residents are NOT allowed to moonlight.

Still think certification for critical care for EMers is on the near horizon?

9. DrQuinn

DrQuinn My name is Neo
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

From what I understood, you can't work in a VA hospital unless you are board eligible. Hence, that's why IM fellows tend to go there. This was told to me by a board certified IM guy who was also a fellow EM resident iwth me.

Q