VA medical center based psychiatry programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uncreativesrry

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone able to list what psychiatry residency programs are based at VA medical centers, particularly along the east coast? Are these programs generally non-malignant? I tried to view these programs on the VA website but it seems like the link is not working.

I really appreciate any info. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is anyone able to list what psychiatry residency programs are based at VA medical centers, particularly along the east coast? Are these programs generally non-malignant? I tried to view these programs on the VA website but it seems like the link is not working.

I really appreciate any info. Thanks!

Idk about east coast. Oklahoma's program does all their inpatient psych at the OKC VA. I also know University of Kansas in KC has half of their inpatient at KU an half at the VA. They also may do some rotations at another VA as well. I know of several more with rotations at the VA, but those are the only two I know off the top of my head where you would potentially spend most of your time at the VA during your first 2 years.

Reactions: 1 user
I believe Harvard South Shore.
Also, UCLA-SFV but SDN says they lost funding

Members don't see this ad :)
There is a recent thread discussing the pros and cons of doing your entire residency at a VA: VA vs university hospital

East coast VA program is HSS in Brockton, MA. Here is a tldr version of that program:

Pros: They have great residents, the call schedule is reasonable (neither easy nor hard), PD has a nice vision of what the program can be.
Cons: Facilities are run down (its a VA..), the location is undesirable, the patient diversity is limited (see aforementioned thread), and there are a crazy amount of sites so you are always commuting throughout the greater boston area.

Not really west coast but University of Michigan. I loved every second of my interview. I walked away feeling like it was an excellent program.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes! And their VA was by far the prettiest VA I have encountered, with a really nice inpatient psych unit. You can tell the hospital values mental health care.
Not really west coast but University of Michigan. I loved every second of my interview. I walked away feeling like it was an excellent program.

Reactions: 1 users
To clarify, Michigan is NOT a VA-based residency, it is a university program. It just happens to have VA rotations... and a really sexy VA at that

Reactions: 1 users